Silent Night

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 21 2010, 6:40 AM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Dec. 20 2010, 12:00 AM)

So here's another timeless classic massacred by me.

I set up me studio a few days ago on this side of the world.
I glad to say that even though the water (reputedly) goes down the plug hole the other way, Left and Right channels are still the same way round :-)

So, we use this in the guitar studio as a "speed test" of the students' chord playing.
This was just me messing about:

http://themarkangel.bandcamp.com/track/english-country-garden

Sorry about the abrupt ending.
Wish I'd been a bit more careful with the song now

That's really nice, Mark - mandolin?

Ukulele :-)
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 21 2010, 8:43 AM)

Just listened via FB. Great stuff.
Quote: (Mark A @ Dec. 20 2010, 3:03 PM)

Quote: (woxnerw @ Dec. 20 2010, 10:24 PM)

Lots of disipline..

Ha!
No discipline in this whatsoever Bill :-)
You are too kind.

Didn't work out the arrangement before I hit record, didn't tune the guitars properly, didn't work on the "right" sounds, left the clangers to be fixed-in-the-mix, didn't EQ anything, didn't compress anything.

:)
:agree:
:) Hi Again MarkA:

Your experience shows through, very well.. The more you do that kind of tracking the better it becomes..

Your Guitar Class Students must really enjoy your style of teaching..
I'm sure it makes them comfortable and puts them at ease in the classroom..

Bill..

OoHh..
That's a better arraignment..
Poppa Willis
I listened at it twice to make sure it was right..
hehe..
Quote: (woxnerw @ Dec. 21 2010, 10:23 AM)

Your Guitar Class Students must really enjoy your style of teaching..
I'm sure it makes them comfortable and puts them at ease in the classroom..

We live in the tab/youtube/internet generation Bill. Many of the kids I teach can go online and grab a video or tab and then learn it note perfect. And play it miles better than me.

But it's not about making clones of Slash or Satriani or whoever, so I'm trying to encourage these guys and girls to interpret and understand what they are playing; to use the tab as a TOOL. Some of these kids can sight read tab but not a chord chart. So, yeah, we're working on some basics as well.

Which is why we do small concerts each month and a big concert at the end of the year... to help the students get the feel for playing on a stage with other players.

Wow! You had me with the Uke. Is it a Concert with round-wound G and C or am I just nuts (as well as deaf)?

:laugh:

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 21 2010, 12:58 PM)

Wow! You had me with the Uke. Is it a Concert with round-wound G and C or am I just nuts (as well as deaf)?

:laugh:

It's just a cheapy $30 NZ uke with nylon strings all round. It's played in unison with a piano track and guitar track in places

My mandolin didn't survive the 12000 mile trip from UK to NZ :-(

I had a piano teacher way way way back a long time ago who always told me that what is important is to make the instrument sing.
Technique is great and everything, but it doesn’t matter at all if it doesn’t sing.
Oddly, years and years later I read an interview with Ornette Coleman who said exactly the same thing. When I teach kids to play guitar (nothing formal, but somehow I’ve ended up teaching about a dozen some chords and stuff) I always tell them this.

Hey, that’s really good, Mark.

Now we need a group Christmas album. With a soundclick page of its own.