Sneaky Pete died

Guitarist ‘Sneaky’ Pete Kleinow dies.

I first heard Sneaky Pete on a Jackson Browne album. I’m not sure I even knew what a pedal steel was.

<!–QuoteBegin>

On Jackson Browne’s second album, “For Everyman,” Sneaky Pete’s elegiac, soaring bridge between “Take It Easy” and “Our Lady of the Well” was particularly mesmerizing. I was 16 when the album came out. It was as if I’d never heard the steel guitar until that moment; it opened my eyes to country music, a genre I’d always associated with bigots and simpletons.

Well I went to the memorial service (party) in Joshua Tree on Sat. night. I was hoping that some semi-famous LA-type musicians might show up but they didn’t. Apparently, Chris Hillman has a gig elsewhere.

But it was really nice in any event. A LOT of alt.country music, aka Honky Tonk, was played. I also got to hear Victoria Williams (no-one I knew nothing about) play & sing. I’ve since read about her career which is quite involved. I also meet one of the numerous drummers (Ed) in the Flying Burrito Brothers, first started by Gram Parson & Sneaky Pete in the 60’s.

Gram is somewhat of legend around So. CA & an inspiration to a generation of new alt.country writers & singers.

Sneaky Pete had apparently recorded one last album with his band Burrito Deluxe, which you can purchase now. I’ve got to get it, along with the early Flying Burrito Bro’s - albums that I never did own originally.

I’m just glad I could go.

For anyone who doesn’t know this history, go here
Flying Burrito Brothers history

Hi Mr Soul:
Thanks for the post and the PM on this guy…

How old was he and what was it that took him?

You know, these guys are going almost every month/day now… I have have to say IT… I meet some guy out at the super market and we strike up some conversation and then I hear… Did you hear about so-and-so… Well… he’s not with us anymore… and I just never seems to stop… And… Why is it that some of these guys go and some of them remain… AND why is it that we’re still here and IT just don’t stop? and… Well…

It goes without saying… Some of these guys would have lots of stories to tell, if that were still with us…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

How old was he and what was it that took him?

He was 72 (fairly young) and it was complications from Alzheimers that got him. He had actually played his last show in 2005 and was hospitalized in 2006.

You’re right - we’re going to see a lot of these guys die over the next 10 years. Look at who’s gone already.

I’ve posted some pic’s on my web site - go to Click on News

Hi Mr Soul:
There’s some great links there that point to the Eagles… and all… We got a lot of mileage out of covering Eagles Songs… on different stages that I worked on… I can say we played to the best/forgiving audiences, that I know of… It was my job to dissappear into the “Beds”… Let the “Glory Guys” come out-front an cover the Vocals… Mind you… They gave me a mic to play with too… Well… :O :p :laugh:

I looked… but I couldn’t find it… Where did Sneaky Pete call home?

Bill…

Bill…