Song Templates

How can I save song templates in n-Track

Is there a way to save song templates in n-Track?

I’d like to be able to save song templates with all the settings for each track. That way I could load a song template before each tracking session with pan, fader, aux setttings, insert effects and etc. This would provide a rough mix and a starting point for each mixing session.

Thanks.
Bill Phillips

Bill

The easiest way to do this is to open n-track, set it up exactly as you require for the template and then do a “Save As” and name the song file something relevant. You could also create a “Templates” directory with all of the different templates in it. Once you’ve created all of the templates and are happy with them, you may want to make the files read only so that you don’t inadvertantly delete or modify them.

To use the template, just open it and then do a “Save As” to the name of the new project that you are working on.

Hope this helps.

Ta
John

John’s suggestion is a good one. That’s how i do it. But you need to know something…

Creating a Template in N is easy. But using one isn’t the same as using one in Word, for example. When you’re ready to use your template, open it. You’ll see any Tracks you added to the original song used to created the template. When you’re ready to record new Parts, set the Track (with the plugins, pan and volume settings) you want to use to Record. You can use the red dot on the Track Bar (far left) to do this. This tells N to place the new Part in the Track you’ve enabled for recording. This way, the existing effects you’ve selected will be applied to the new Part.

Same is true if you need to add Parts that have already been recorded (using Ctrl 1). When you import an existing Part, it will be placed into a new Track. Simply drag the Part into the Track you want to use (Shift-Ctrl while you click-n-drag the Part) and delete the blank Track that N created when you imported the Part.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Once you done this a few times, it’s a breeze.

teej

Thanks jmccullo and teej813.

Looks like the import method is what I’ll need to use. I record my daughter’s band live with up to 20 tracks. I’m worried that the first method of recording over existing tracks might reduce throughput, which I can’t afford. I currently have the ASIO buffers set to 2048.

Bill Phillips

jmccullo, teej813, I’m struggling with this. I’ve been experimenting and I’ve noticed that when my templates reference wav files that it can’t find I get the option to manually select them. This works great because as soon as I do this for the first wav file, all the rest fall into place. That’s idea.

The problem I have is that when I try to delete wav files from a sng file, the wav files are actually deleted. What I want to be able to do is to relink the sng file to a different set of wav files without deleting the first set of wav files. Can this be done? If so how?

Thanks.

i would take one of the 20 track recordings that you’ve already done and open it.

then track by track remove all of the parts from each track. (always answer no to the delete question)

leave your track names and track/auxillary plugins in place.

do a “save as” giving the song file the name “template”.

now at the beginning of every session open this template file.

do a save as with the name of the new song first thing.

arm your tracks for recording making sure you have your input assignment routed to the right track name.

hit the big red button!

hth

later…

e man, thanks. I’ll try that. When I open an existing sng and hit the big red button, I always get a new set of 20 tracks with none of the plugins, eq or compression. I then end up copying each of the 20 new tracks over the 20 tracks in the template. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

N gives you the option of recording to new Tracks or arming existing Tracks. Considering what you want to do, Eman is suggesting you arm the Tracks prior to recording.

Also, check N’s preferences. One of them on the Options tab is…
- Ask to delete wave files to be removed. Use this so you can choose whether or not to delete files

Another is, Ask for names of wave files to be recorded. Use this so N prompts you for filenames.

teej

Quote (phil5633 @ Mar. 25 2005,22:34)
e man, thanks. I'll try that. When I open an existing sng and hit the big red button, I always get a new set of 20 tracks with none of the plugins, eq or compression. I then end up copying each of the 20 new tracks over the 20 tracks in the template. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

the results you're getting are correct for what you're asking the software to do. opening an existing song file and then hitting record will always add the new tracks to it.

try creating a template like i described above. the template file shouldn't have any wave files in the tracks when you open it up. each track that you want to record to has to be armed and assigned to an input.

so when you open your template you would have 20 tracks blank, and ready to go. once you arm the tracks you want to record to, THEN you hit the big red button ;o)

don't forget to save your new song with a different name. don't overwrite your template file.

later...

I ran into something neat today. It might just solve your problems.

– Run n-Tracks.
– Create a new song. (Menu File/New) There’s no need to save it.
– Insert a new blank audio track. (Menu Track/Insert Blank Track/Audio).
– Open the EQ Properties for that tracks (Tracks channel 1 settings).
– Click the yellow tool to Select an Always On Effect (Popup menu Add Effect, then make you selection).
– In the Change AlwaysOn effect dialog select All Track channels, then OK.
– Exit the Tracks channel 1 settings.
– Exit n-Tracks. There’s no need to save the song.

Every track added to a new song from now on will have these AlwaysOn effects, and that includes all new automatically inserted recorded tracks.

THer’s no need for a template if all you want is the same effects always on the tracks to start with.

Ok e man, teej813, success. Thanks to your help. Some how I’ve managed to save a file with the tracks armed to record from the proper input. All I have to do is open the template do a save as and record.

As to how I achieved the being armed to record part, I don’t know. For that template, I’d deleted the test wav files before I deleted the track parts [which left wav files with “X’s”], deleted the parts and saved the template. Maybe that did it. Any thoughts?

Thanks again. Now I have a follow-up question. I have a temp file folder set up in preferences and recorded wav files go there. Is there some way to do a “save as” or similar to get the wav files to go to a song folder.

Thanks.
Bill Phillips

Quote (phil5633 @ Mar. 27 2005,23:05)
...Thanks again. Now I have a follow-up question. I have a temp file folder set up in preferences and recorded wav files go there. Is there some way to do a "save as" or similar to get the wav files to go to a song folder.

Thanks.
Bill Phillips

Bill, take a look at the 'paths' settings box under preferences. There are radio buttons for "Use the working directory to store: 'Temporary files(new files go to the current song directory)', or 'Temporary files AND new wave files.' Clicking the first one should solve your problem! :D

'til next time;
Tony W

i’m running 3.3, so forgive me if there are differences in the version you’re running.

when you do your “save as” for your new song, create a new folder with the same name (you should be able to do this in the file save dialog box). save the song file in the new folder.

make sure your preferences are set as tony recommends above so that new wave files go to the current song directory. this will place all newly recorded wave files in the folder you created for that song.

glad you got things working like you wanted.

later…

Well, the armed tracks don’t last long. Soon I have to re-arm again each time I use the template. But the template seems to work fine. I can’t wait to try it with a real session.

wynot, the “use working directory” solved my wav file mapping problem.

Thanks again e man and teej813 and wynot.

BTW, n-Track [4.04 build 1806] is very unstable with my 828 mkII at 20 tracks. N often doesn’t recognize the 8 ADAT channels. Stopping and starting N several times fixes that. I also get lots of crashes. I’ve been monitoring CPU and memory use and neither is near the limit. I’ve got some XP recommendations from a recent Sound on Sound that I plan to try.

Bill Phillips