Songwriting etiquette

Advice?

So… a guy I met who is an singer songwriter in his own country has asked me to help him translate some songs into English and now he wants me to go to a pro studio with him and record the vocals myself. He wants me to sing some of the lyrics in a kinda cheesy 70s way that I am definitely not comfortable with.

What’s the etiquette? Does Desmond Child say to Celine Dion “No, I want it done this way”?

Problem is, he’s a very nice guy but I am cringeing at the though of certain parts of the vocal :(

Difficult one.

I guess they are his songs, and he’s paying for the studio?

Are you hired talent or is this a freebie on your part?

You could use the old ploy of “let’s try it both ways and see which is best”. At least that way you get a version with the vocals done how you want them.

$0.02

It’s a freebie from me, he asked me if I would help and was happy to say yes, kinda regretting it now as I just don’t want to sound the way he wants me too. However, two versions sounds a reasonable compromise :agree:

Lie back and think of, wherever you are, whilst imagining your favourite cheeese.

I can think that it happens quite a bit in many genres of music… Can that be called
collaboration ????

Bill…

Quote: (TonyR @ Feb. 06 2011, 3:05 AM)

Lie back and think of, wherever you are, whilst imagining your favourite cheeese.

Can I make that Cheesecake? ???

That would be something…
Say …
if '70’s music came back like a “Fashion Statement”…
AND…
I tried to catch to boat but I missed it…
:)
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Feb. 05 2011, 11:05 PM)

It's a freebie from me, he asked me if I would help and was happy to say yes, kinda regretting it now as I just don't want to sound the way he wants me too. However, two versions sounds a reasonable compromise
:agree:

aw yes but now your setting yourself up for subconscious prejudice.... :whistle:

Of course in your mind your idea is better and since vocals are a very personal part of our expression it will come out in performance.

my advice is to find some way to subconsciously build up his idea, look at it as a spoof on another artist or a fictional fantastic voyage that your mind can follow....this will give his idea a fair chance, and maybe lay your fears to rest.

it will go from "I don't want to sound that way" to "I DO want to sound that way" you are stepping into a place in your mind where anything goes and enjoying the freedom of lost reservations think of it like theatre and step into character......O Death, where was thy sting?....

dontcare

So…we go to the studio, the engineer asks me if I know anything about recording. Told him I use n-Track, Samplitude and some others, he says "We use the real stuff here, Pro-Tools HD version 2, cost $15000, at which time his $15K gear crashes and he can’t get it going again"
I offered to bring my Laptop but he’s not impressed…session postponed :laugh:

Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Feb. 07 2011, 2:12 AM)

So....we go to the studio, the engineer asks me if I know anything about recording. Told him I use n-Track, Samplitude and some others, he says "We use the real stuff here, Pro-Tools HD version 2, cost $15000, at which time his $15K gear crashes and he can't get it going again"
I offered to bring my Laptop but he's not impressed.....session postponed
:laugh:

ooooops
Quote: (dontcare @ Feb. 06 2011, 7:01 AM)

Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Feb. 05 2011, 11:05 PM)

It's a freebie from me, he asked me if I would help and was happy to say yes, kinda regretting it now as I just don't want to sound the way he wants me too. However, two versions sounds a reasonable compromise

aw yes but now your setting yourself up for subconscious prejudice.... :whistle:

Of course in your mind your idea is better and since vocals are a very personal part of our expression it will come out in performance.

my advice is to find some way to subconsciously build up his idea, look at it as a spoof on another artist or a fictional fantastic voyage that your mind can follow....this will give his idea a fair chance, and maybe lay your fears to rest.

it will go from "I don't want to sound that way" to "I DO want to sound that way" you are stepping into a place in your mind where anything goes and enjoying the freedom of lost reservations think of it like theatre and step into character......O Death, where was thy sting?....

dontcare

Valid point, you're right of course!! I would naturally be in the frame of mind to sing my version better. I'll work on that (if they ever get Pro-tools working again :) )
Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Feb. 06 2011, 7:12 AM)

...at which time his $15K gear crashes and he can't get it going again :laugh:

Lol!!
That almost made my drink come out my nose :laugh: