sound card

sound card

Ok heres an easy one,whats a good sound card for under $100,has a xlr input,and a 1/4" input and will work with windows xp and n tracks v3.0? preciate it!

I haven’t checked prices on ebay lately but I think you can pick up an M-Audio Delta 66 for about $100. This is a standard workhorse of an audio card, the drivers are stable, and many n-Track users have this card. I have a Delta 66 with an Omni box and a Delta 1010. I can vouch for these cards - they sound great and they work flawlessly. The Delta 66 has 4 channels.

No XLR inputs on the Delta 44/66 though as requested. Not sure you’ll find such a card on that budget.

Mighty fine cards though.

Suggest you invest in a mic pre - eg the Studio Projects VTB-1

ok, i have a tascam 4 track that i use as a mixer,if i run everything thru that(mic’d amp,vocals)and use the rca outs,maybe i only need a sound card with rca ins? im still not sure why im not getting clean recordings w/the sound card that came with my new pc,with my old pent 3 id run my 1/4" guitar cable down to 1/8" and stick it in the mic input on the back of the pc and it worked fine for me.useing that same set up with the new pc im getting terrible results and ive tweeked everthing i can think of(line in,mic in,record vol,play back vol,basiclly anything you can tweek in the audio properties adjust window)im still getting this slightly distorted phasey sound.i guess this turned into a 2 part question.with much appreciation…Caleb

I’m kind of surprised that you got decent sound from your old soundcard by plugging your guitar into the mic input. There’s a serious impedance mismatch there and you will be much better off with a new card.

The Delta 66 with the Omni box will be absolutely perfect for what your trying to do. The Omni box has two built-in preamps (XLR inputs) and two additional line inputs (1/4"). The preamps also have 1/4" instrument inputs that are the proper impedance for your guitar.

There’s a couple on ebay right now and you should be able to pick one up for under $100. Here’s the link: Delta 66 with Omni Box

I won’t go into all the features of this setup but once you start using it you will be thrilled. It’s exactly what you’re looking for and will be the ideal front end to your Tascam 4 track.

Quote: (8th_note @ Sep. 30 2007, 6:28 PM)

The Delta 66 with the Omni box will be absolutely perfect for what your trying to do. The Omni box has two built-in preamps (XLR inputs) and two additional line inputs (1/4"). The preamps also have 1/4" instrument inputs that are the proper impedance for your guitar.

There's a couple on ebay right now and you should be able to pick one up for under $100. Here's the link: Delta 66 with Omni Box

Ahhh, yes the Omni. Forgot about that.

You certainly wouldn't get that bundle for the equivalent of $100 here in the UK but then again we've had that conversation here before......

I have a recording on myspace that i did with ntracks 3 and the pent 3 and everything run thru a tascam 4trac via the rca outs to the mic input on the back of the pent 3 if youd like to hear www.myspace.com/calebsj

what are the chances i purchase a audio interface sound card and i still get phasey slightly distorted recordings?

Quote:

what are the chances i purchase a audio interface sound card and i still get phasey slightly distorted recordings

A new card should solve this problem but if you're happy with the sound of the old setup then perhaps you should keep troubleshooting the new one and see if you can make it work.

Good guide and suggestions HERE:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Quote: (8th_note @ Sep. 29 2007, 11:30 PM)

I haven't checked prices on ebay lately but I think you can pick up an M-Audio Delta 66 for about $100. This is a standard workhorse of an audio card, the drivers are stable, and many n-Track users have this card. I have a Delta 66 with an Omni box and a Delta 1010. I can vouch for these cards - they sound great and they work flawlessly. The Delta 66 has 4 channels.

I'll second that, it sounds terrific, although the software patchbay and signal routing are a mite confusing and you'll probably need to download the latest drivers (the Asio drivers on the CD didn't work for me). I picked up my new old stock Delta 66/Omni combo on eBay for somewhere around $70-80.

cheers

Billy S.

Oh, btw…the two XLR/phone inputs also supply phantom power, which I don’t believe the 44 does. Great if you’ve blown your entire budget on the Delta/Omni and a condenser mic.

cheers

Billy S.