Sound Cards

Hey,

I’m new to the forum and don’t have an n track studio yet. I want to buy a sound card first with the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS be a good choice for this studio program? longwing@shaw.ca

I’m new to this forum also, but not to recording, I would say that no, it is not a good option. I would go with somehting like an rme or terratec (which I have). SB’s are locked at an internal rate of 48khz or 96 khz, so if you use the ASIO driver, you are stuck with that sample rate.

They are a great gaming card, but not a great recording card. of course this is just my 2 cents worth.

What card do you have exactly

Thanks

Longwing

It depends what you want to do?

How many tracks you want to be able to record at once?
How much $$$ you have to spend?
What gear you already have?
Do you want to produce stuff to be played on the radio or some other commercial quality or just to do some mucking around in your bedroom/den?

I think it was only the SB Live cards that were locked at 48Khz internally.
I think the audigy does sample at the rate you set without the need to convert on the fly.
I could be mistaken though.

If all you need is 2 mono tracks and are recording solo and it doesn’t have to be pro then the SB cards are more than adequate to get you started and if you can’t get a decent recording with a SB card then you probably aren;t going to get a decent recording with a more expensive sound card either.

Probably a good place to start without spending lots of $$$ if it will meet your needs.

Rich

The Audigy’s sample and resolution rates are adjustable. They are a great card to start of with… they don’t cost a lot and the set up is easy and nice. I have used mine now for 2 years and have now upgraded to a Presonus Firepod. Rich is right, if you can’t get a decent sound with the Audigy, or SB, you won’t be able to do the same with an expensive one.

OK,

I get what you are saying. What I want is to record one track or two at a time and no more then 10 or 12 tracks, I’m looking at 4 or 5 instruments total and vocals with some harminizing. Not real complex stuff. As for quality I am looking for near perfect but not perfect. I just want to write and save a copy of my original songs for sale to an artist that has made inquiries about my stuff. I’m not planning to record it myself. My righting style is for a specific artist. So I’m new too the recording but am a seasoned player. I have already recorded some raw material on the n track sample and like the quality whith my present sound card which is only a sound blaster live version.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS is maybe all I need. I just would like to know that it is?

Thanks for your help and if you know that others have used it with good succsess that that’s good enough for me.

Please leave comments anyone?

longwing

I still say that an audigy is a great gaming card, but not a good recording card. I would look at this card:

http://www.zzounds.com/item–THKMIMD442

it’s not much more than an audigy, will give you 4 inputs, and will be a mch better card.

There is nothing wrong if you decide to go the audigy route, I would just say that you want to be sure that it will work for what you want to do. Also, last I heard, the audigy is still locked at 48khz, but if you dn’t use the ASIO drivers, then the card will convert on the fly. this will degrade the quality though. I am not a user of one of these cards, however, I am also a registered user of Cubase SX3, and the forums over there are filled with people that have problems with the audigy cards (and in all fairness, a few people that have no problems with them…)

An EMU 0404 would probably be a better choice. Better converters, onboard effects.

I’m in agreement with musicman. If you really want to get a new sound card first then the M-Audio products do well . I have a Delta 1010lt and I’m real happy with it. But why not just get n-track first and use it with the card that’s already in your computor? It will work with most soundcards and will let you get the hang of it before laying out more $. That’s how most of us started.

Quote (longwing @ April 13 2005,22:27)
I have already recorded some raw material on the n track sample and like the quality whith my present sound card which is only a sound blaster live version.

Given that you're apparently doing demo-only work, would this quality be good enough for your purposes? Are you hearing anything "wrong" with it? Maybe it's just the cheap in me, but if nothing about your SB Live recordings strikes you as unacceptable for your demos, maybe you should stick with the SB Live a while--you know, give it a good workout--to see if you don't already have what you need before spending extra cash? If you find that you really need more analog inputs for more simultaneous tracks, the Audigy 2 ZS won't provide that for you.

Tony

I do most of my ‘mixing’ on my laptop which has a SoundMAX card inside it. Whilst it is ok, i’d like something with a bit more kick to it - preferably a PCMCIA job rather than a USB unit as I tend to do it whilst commuting and I don’t often get the luxury of a table to do it on!!!

Any advice or simply a NO would be ace.

thanks

macca

If you find that you really need more analog inputs for more simultaneous tracks, the Audigy 2 ZS won't provide that for you

and

it's not much more than an audigy, will give you 4 inputs

A SB Audigy 2ZS platinum pro gives you 6 analogue inputs + SPDIF

If you apply a short to the Audigy2 ZS extender socket (pins 25 and 35 I seem to recall), then the Creative software thinks the card is a Platinum pro. The hardware is already on board, so it’s just a question of making up some good quality leads to the Molex sockets, or build a break-out box, to give 6 channel, 24 bit, 96kHz simultaneous recording.

And if you’re even more adventurous with a soldering iron, you can make that 8 analogue channels.

Plus memory efficient soundfont support, and a hardware DSP that can give “zero” latency FX.

Not bad for a “games” card.

Snap Maaszy! LOL

Maybe it's just the cheap in me, but if nothing about your SB Live recordings strikes you as unacceptable for your demos, maybe you should stick with the SB Live a while--you know, give it a good workout--to see if you don't already have what you need before spending extra cash

I aggree with Tom. Work for a while with the board that you have, and in the future you will now exactly the board that is more adapted to your needs.
Quote (makako @ April 14 2005,15:35)
Maybe it's just the cheap in me, but if nothing about your SB Live recordings strikes you as unacceptable for your demos, maybe you should stick with the SB Live a while--you know, give it a good workout--to see if you don't already have what you need before spending extra cash

I aggree with Tom. Work for a while with the board that you have, and in the future you will now exactly the board that is more adapted to your needs.
And I am just echoing RichLum and true north here, come to think of it. (I hope you were referring to me through my quote, and not really "Tom", otherwise...nevermind! :laugh:)

Tony
Quote (maaszy @ April 14 2005,15:22)
If you find that you really need more analog inputs for more simultaneous tracks, the Audigy 2 ZS won't provide that for you

and

it's not much more than an audigy, will give you 4 inputs

A SB Audigy 2ZS platinum pro gives you 6 analogue inputs + SPDIF
Maaszy's right--if you have over US $200+ to spend, your options are greatly expanded!

:D

Tony

Read my post again Tony, you have the hardware with the cheap plain 2ZS, you just gotta be inventive. :D

Oops, sorry Ali…that should be…

CORRECTION: <!–QuoteBegin>

Maaszy’s right–if you have over US $200+ to spend or you have the materials and electronics skills, or enough money to pay someone who does, your options are greatly expanded!

:laugh:

[edit: that bold print looked kind of loud and irate, so I tried toning it down with italics…working on my tone skills :) ]

(Actually, even I–the cheapskate electronics illiterate that I am–would be tempted to try your mod if I had this card!)

Tony