Sound vs. LED Meter Display

Not Sync’d during play

Is anyone else noticing a sync issue with the sound versus the what’s being displayed on the VU LED meters? The meters start showing before sound is outputed.

I’m wondering if this is a glitch/bug or am I missing something???

THx

sounds like major lag to me. Better known as latency. Or a major routing/driver problem?
What kind of set up you using?

Well,

I’m running an Intel dual core @ 3 Ghz
Asus gaming board 1500 front end
e-GeForce 8800 GTS GPU
Creative X-FI Platinum with full header inputs (the best one they have) Using fiber for audio.
4 Gigs Match Ram

Playing 15 tracks with stacks of effects, my processors are only at 11% max.

Version 5 did the same thing. However when I use other programs like GoldWave and others, I don’t have any sync issues.

Any ideas?

I wouldn’t worry about it unless you start “hearing” problems. Seeing what you are is most likely compensation for the load.

I’m not hearing any audio issues. But, it really is a shame that they don’t match. Accurate audio levels / reference levels are pretty important to me.

Inputs appear ok, just slightly off… but not the playing of the tracks.

I was just expecting it all to function properly.

I just may have to go out and get a Digi003 and a MAC…

Hi Gents:

I’ve noticed that and see it as some issue that should be addressed…
It seemed to appear back in versions-and-builds of 3 and 3.3

Back then, in the preferences and settings Flavio added a check-box that anticipated the audio flow versus the meter response to correct for it…
At least that’s what I thought the check-box was added to the settings to correct, for…

I don’t think it’s so much lag-or-latency… as much as it could be the meter coding being out-of-phase with the streaming of the audio coding…
or whatever…
????

If it was lag-or-latency, it would progress as in the length of a track on the timeline…
However, that doesn’t appear to happen or be an issue…

At least, not here…

Bill…

I have not noticed this on either of my machines with any version of n-Track. It’s the first mention of it I’ve seen.

I’ve seen it a lot over the years. I think it’s a driver/latency/buffering issue. It’s much more noticeable with MME or WDM drivers and large buffers. When I was on the main DAW running ASIO drivers or using the ASIO with my little Tascam it was not noticeable. Some guys on the Reap forum complained with the same issue but the guys fixed it somehow.

It’s all tied to audio engine efficiency the best I can tell. If you have a big project really taxing your machine and are forced to really bump up the buffering to avoid clicks and pops, the meter response gets stinky. Possibly due to graphic issues as well as audio buffering. The OP said he’s only at 15 tracks and 11% so his machine should be flying… I’d drop a bug report in if it were me. That’s a HOT machine he has there… should be slick as a minnows tally-wacker…

D

Hi Poppa Willis and All:

If I knew how to properly search the Board for topics regarding this I believe there are several topics-and-threads that discussed this…
It may have been as early as some of the hijacked/defunct Boards…

A good way to see this is…
Set up a “Click Track” and watch the Meter Sync to the Click Track Stream… in normal/default time… OR… slowed down.
Then, take the same file and Stream it… on say…
GoldWave or any other Editor…
If you’re “Scrubbing” an expanded Timeline and want to let’s say, for example edit…
(A null Point)… on a track that is “Solo’d”
the meter wouldn’t line up with the Null Point or the Peak of the .NPK Image, that is on the timeline… At that edit point…
I would-or-will use the .NPK Image as the Point-of-Edit… As opposed to using the Meter (deflection) Measure… to do the edit…

Lets say I want to lineup a Bass Note with a Kick Hit somewhere on the timeline… e.g.
Leading and Lagging
bass and kick hits…
Well…

Who knows…
It might be a “Sample Rate Display” error…
I do think it’s a Consistent measure of error…
If that’s the correct terminology…
Meaning…
it doesn’t matter how many tracks are on the timeline…
The Meter Display error is consistantly Leading-or-Lagging… the timeline image…

Bill…

p.s.
Room for discussion…
Gents…

Does the setting “Passive Meter Update” effect any change on your system? The option is under Preferrence > Appearance.
I have not expreienced the problem htat I know of ( I have the option “Passsive Meter Update” checked), but I just get is the general area of any problem and look for the sound wave change -
and you are right, this does not work for ever situation, they can be hard to hear/spot - maybe what you are doing with the scrub should produce an easier to spot situation. I’ve had a couple of instances where I just could not find the sound and I had to “cut” the section and then gradually drag the wave form back until the “glitch” came back. I never thought of watching the meters.
Bax

Hi bax3:

I’ve spent some time this early evening and used this Dual processor Creation Station with a track on the timeline…
This machine behaves entirely different then the older machines with the meter sync-and-timeline response.
I’m looking at an n-Track CPU Usage of 0.2 -0.5% and lots of waveform artifacts…
That could be a result of up-converting an mp3 or wma file to a wave file… From what I’m seeing here, I am unable to imagine a closer visual sync to the audio I hear coming from the monitors…
Here’s a printscreen of what I see…
The track was selected for it’s 1-in-60 tempo so I could see the meter behaviour.
Well, for me anyway…

This Creation Station leaves nothing to the want-list…
So-Far… This machine is so nice…
Gents…
:p
:)
:laugh:

Bill…

p.s.
I wanted to post a printscreen of this reply…
however, I am unable to create a link to the printscreen…
If I can create a link I’ll post the image…

[EDIT] It couldn’t have been important… I forgot what I was gonna add to the reply…

The one thing I do notice is the master meter keeps up better than the track meter. The master meter on the bottom is closer to the playing audio than the track meter.

The other thing is the wave display is right on target along with the scrubber. So that part is perfect. It’s only the VU track meters and a slight delay on the master meters.

I haven’t played with all the preferences but I intend to. I’m just glad I’m not the only one that has noticed this issue. :) I mean, not glad…but you know what I mean.

It’s a great program…and even thought the vu meters are mostly cosmetic, it’s still posses a good reference. I’d like to see it work seamlessly. I can tell you this, my machine has more than enough muscle to handle this program. And yes, it does same thing on my quad processor PC I use for video. I’ve just dedicated this PC for my audio productions. And with a gamers GPU, my dual graphic displays shouldn’t even be an issue. I agree it may be a buffering issue or a code issue.

We’ll see what happens …

I discovered how to link to the printscreen…
for what it’s worth now…
AND…
I played with the “Passive Meter Update” checkbox…
in the preferences…

With this Sweetwater Creation Station I couldn’t see any change with the way the meters behave with the timeline/meter sync…
Box checked-or-unchecked…

The meter response is in perfect sync with the audio heard in the monitors…
Well…
from what I can see, anyway…

Bill…

I just tried changing the meters fps, No change.
I just tried changing the passive box, it wont save the “unchecked” setting.

So, I’m at a loss on that part.

Still checking summor…