Soundcard choice:  MOTU or AArdvark?

Set-up, Hardware

Hey, folks. I’m in a sort of cool quandary. They’re both used, which I should think is o.k., but I’m looking at an Aardvark Ark24, and a MOTU 1224. Anyone have any experience, opinions you could detail?

I’m primarily looking at practical and a nice array of In-and-Outgoing signal.

Thanks!

Well since Aardvark is out of business… my vote would be for the MOTU. We have a 24 I/O at church and it works and sounds great!

D

Well, Syntrillium is also out of biz, but Cool Edit Pro is still a great program… and I can’t see support as an issue, since it’s a soundcard, and only does one very predictable thing.

No?

Though the MOTU is nice, and the price is just fine. I, however, like many of us here, am on a tight budget. The Aardvark is a better price.

Hi n-Trackers:
If I had the choice between these two audio capture units, I’d lean toward the Aadvark unit, as well…

We just had quite the thread on “System Clocks”… I’ve been lead to believe that the Aardvark audio hardware has used System clocks that are almost equal to none out there in the DAW World. As well, their “Jitter” spec’s are among the Best … there is… If you say they are used, then there is no warrenty you can expect from the manufactuers, anyway.

I would look at the Dynamic Range and Converter spec’s and between
the two units and make your choice on those figures…

From what I have heard… both unit’s drivers are not an issue…

If you have the resources, go get both of them and keep the set-up you like better… then let the other unit go…

If I had that choice, I think I’d lean toward the Aardvark unit…

Bill…

Quote (Sloom @ Dec. 20 2005,16:56)
Well, Syntrillium is also out of biz, but Cool Edit Pro is still a great program... and I can't see support as an issue, since it's a soundcard, and only does one very predictable thing.

No?

Drivers updates is the trouble here. If you plan to move to 64bit in a future, look for any audio interface that becomes live in the support side.

“Live in the support side” would mean still in production? I wonder if it’d be possible to update drivers for a given card from a third-party?

I don’t think it’s much of an issue, as I’m looking only to work in a stable environment with enough I/O. Don’t know if 64-Bit will become an issue, so I can’t say (now) as I see it necessary.

See, there is so much essential crap you can spend your bread on: A nice mic-pre or two, for example. Mics! Monitor upgrade. PC upgrades- RAM, additional hard-drives. A second monitor… a mixer with direct outs/ busses…So I think that staying in the realm of stability and good sound going in is going to keep me plenty busy.

And how needful is 64-Bit? 32-Bit is real good, right? Is this anything to be compared with the new awareness of 192 KHz? Most of the world doesn’t even use the 10% of their brain the statisics tell us they do! I think a lot of that 192 KHz is probably wasted…

I may be just trying to get around this. I bet the MOTU will be viable for a long time. Good point. I’ll get both and try 'em. Thanks, guys. I won’t throw the blame at you guys when my wife comes at me with the new Mixmaster attatchment. :D

The support issue is what scares me Sloom. Aardvark just fell off the face of the Earth. There are petitions floating around the web with users wanting someone with Aardvark to release the driver source code to third-party developers so they can continue using the excellent hardware well into the future.

The brains behind Aardvarks clock technology now has a new company called Antelope. I guess its possible that they might pick up the ball… I dunno.

D

Driver updates may be required due to updates in Windows or n-Track. Sometimes, fixing a bug causes something that used to work to fail – as any experienced programmer well knows.

But if the price break is big enough, it may be worth the risk.

I’ve been using the Aardvark Q10 for quite a while now, and I have very few complaints about it. I was shocked when the company (almost local, in Ann Arbor) closed up.

IN terms of stability, I’ve been using the Q10 with a 2.4 PIV with XP home, and it has had no glitches in 2+ years or so.

But I have worried about the female plugs for the preamps - they have always seemed kind of plasticy to me, and I actually just have a snake permanently plugged in to avoid stressing them.

The other thing is that there are only inserts on chans 1-4 and those are the only channels with phantom.

But the preamps are pretty quiet and sound pretty good - not as good as some others I have, but pretty good. :)

Lack of support is an issue - when I upgrade I think it will be to MOTU.

<!–QuoteBegin>

- when I upgrade I think it will be to MOTU.

Look at the EMU “M” models Tom. I have an 1820M. Fantastic sounding card, ton of features, great value IMO. My second choice was MOTU’s 828mkII when I bought the EMU. We use a MOTU 24io at church and it performs flawlessly. The EMU just has it beat for value and sound quality.

D
Quote (Diogenes @ Dec. 20 2005,22:55)
The support issue is what scares me Sloom. Aardvark just fell off the face of the Earth. There are petitions floating around the web with users wanting someone with Aardvark to release the driver source code to third-party developers so they can continue using the excellent hardware well into the future.

The brains behind Aardvarks clock technology now has a new company called Antelope. I guess its possible that they might pick up the ball... I dunno.

D

I wonder, if I bought the Aard, could I release the codes to Flavio?
Did I just ask an overtly obtuse question?

Jeff, the price break is pretty considerable, and it's allegedly in 'like new' condition- only used once. ??

You wouldn’t get the source code, and I doubt Flavio wants to support a sound card driver code.

Like I said, it’s a risk. Here’s one way to look at it: if it works fine for two or three years – or however long you plan to stick with your current computer and no Windows upgrades – but never works on WinXZ (or whatever), becomes a boat anchor after that – would it be money well spent?

If so, then I think the chances are good. On the other hand, if you’re like me and keep gear for freaking ever (I have a lot of 30+ yr. old gear still serving me quite well, thanks) then maybe you’d be better off sticking with a company that’s been around and looks like it’ll stick around. (Both MOTU and EMU fit that category, IMHO, but I’m no securities analyst!)

Solid thinking, Jeff. I’m going with the MOTU, as I’d rather be with a manufacturer whose stuff is still relevant. Not into lots of upgrading, but I might not want to live on an island forever.

The only thing I might miss would be the
s/PDIFs on the Aardvark. The MOTU has AES/EBU, and I don’t know what that is. No matter- my Tascam US-428 has S/DIF, and I can always go to Devices…

Anyway, thanks all, for the participation! You’ve been very helpful in this.

I think the MOTU has S/PDIF. My 828 does: you can use either ADAT or S/PDIF but not both. I don’t remember what AES/EBU means, and I never quite figured out what TOSLink is either. Jeez, nerds and their interface standards!

I thought TOSLink was just another name for an optical digital connection/socket…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Jeez, nerds and their interface standards!

That would be: “Jeez, multi-national electronics companies and their interface standards” (or maybe that’s the same thing? :) ):
TOSLink = Toshiba Link (that’s right Rich, it’s the fiber optics cable)
S/P DIF = Sony/Phillips Digital Interface Format
AES/EBU = Can’t remember, but it’s an older and more professional variety of S/P DIF

Thanks – but I think that TOSLink and S/PDIF are compatible – though TOSLink is optical only, and S/PDIF can be either. Also, can TOSLink support ADAT?

Are AES-EBU and S/PDIF compatible?

That’s the part that confuses me – I get the impression that they are.

Dear friends,

I would like to know your critical views about M-Audio Delta 1010LT card. Visit: http://www.midiman.net

And what do you think if this is the best sound recording card.

Thanking you
Anurag Agrawal
anuragag@rediffmail.com
:)

You’ll get more responses to that by starting a new thread.

BTW, “best sounding” is very subjective, but the best sounding will tend to be very expensive ones, not units like 1010. Regardless, lots of folks here use 'em and like 'em. If you’re looking for perfection, though, I think you have to look elsewhere (and spend 2 or 3 times as much).