Speaking of Amp Sims...here's "Too Rolling Stoned"

Robin Trower is in fact God

Ok, whipped up this cover of a tune by one of my all time favorite guitarists Robin Trower.
Guitar tracks were done completely using a Strat into a Digitech GNX4 modeler using a custom Marshall JCM-800-2205 patch and cab with Greenbacks. We do this tune live where I use real Marshalls and a pedalboard with a Teese Picture Wah -> Boost -> Fulltone Distortion -> Sweetsound Ultravibe and the emulation with the GNX4 is almost dead on except that the live rig is a lot noisier. I haven’t been able to get anywhere near the performance or tone (without latency or artifacts) using any of the available soft-sim plugins out there, so I’d say outboard hardware modelers are still the way to go…for now.

Dig it…or optionally tear it a new hole.
:laugh:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/jKOGHZFY/Too_Rolling_Stoned.html

Yah,
I mean how are you going to control the wah in real time with a soft sim anyhow?

I lot of the ability to play certain grooves is the ability to hear the harmonics and tones changing in real time and controlling them in real time…which kinda defeats the purpose for a soft sim…meaning you then need to add some sort of hardware controller that is going to be able to do it, which is just like using the soft sim as a hardware sim…just a lot bulkier with a huge clunky noisy computer instead of a slim 1U rack that can do the same thing…

I know Trower did a lot of bi-amping…it sounded like you maybe had that going on in some spots (although that just could have been multiple guitar takes layered) it doesn’t look like you included that as part of the sound producing process in the OP.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

U1. 17.4MB! I bet you don’t re-cycle, either?

This is the ‘software’ version, yeah?
Regardless of the topic of a/d conversion, some really nice, expressive playing going on there.

that was pretty cool Unknown & another reason for me to get a gnx4.
Robin Trower is from near whwre i live & i did think he was the bees knees for a while but then decided he was a Jimi copyist with better gear,but that doesnt take anything away from your playing.

Tina

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 24 2010, 4:05 PM)

that was pretty cool Unknown & another reason for me to get a gnx4.
Robin Trower is from near whwre i live
& i did think he was the bees knees for a while but then decided he was a Jimi copyist with better gear,but that doesnt take anything away from your playing.

Tina

You know, Tina, that bit about Robin ripping off Jimi has been around since Bridge of Sighs was released but it's really complete rubbish. I'm certain that Robin may have been subliminaly influencd by Hendrix, but the thing is...Robin's playing style was pretty much cemented waaay back before his Procol Harum days. If you really sit down and compare the two, you'll see how much more focused Robin's style is compared to Jimi's fluid improvisation, not to say that Robin couldn't wail with the best of them. Also, consider the limited gear of the day...they both played Strats into Plexi's and used the same limited effects....Fuzz Face, Univibe, Crybaby Wah, and Octaver. Then of course, they're both masters of the Blues Pentatonic scales and chords and were both influenced by the same artists that came before them (Howlin Wolf, Lightnin Hopkins, the Kings, etc.). If anything, they were both guilty of ripping off Robert Johnson :laugh: A lot of folks don't realize how massively the American gospel and blues thing affected the UK from the 40's thru the 60's.

Dig it. You like that Fulltone? I have the OCD. Pretty extreme. Makes fun noise.

Very nice! The dude can PLAY. I always thought that second movement motif dragged on too long before the serious pickin’ though.

Nice job Danny. :agree:

UJ

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 24 2010, 6:52 PM)

Dig it.
You like that Fulltone?
I have the OCD.
Pretty extreme.
Makes fun noise.

Tom - yep, I love Fulltone pedals. I've got most of 'em except for the new "PlimSoul" unit that came out in July 2010....gotta have it. :laugh:

nice pickin U1 - great tones.