Studio recording mic's

I have been using Reaper lately for the same tasks… right click your loop, set the play rate to speed/slow the loop (120bpm loop at 80 bpm, set to play rate of .66667 for example), then drag and whatever like ACID. Not really conducive to crazy complicated loop projects as Reaper doesn’t do the key recognition thing like ACID, but for basic drum loops, works a treat. Plus, you are hard pressed to find better algs than the Elastique stuff in Reaper. Just a suggestion if your needs are simple and you don’t want 12 pieces of software involved.

Tom - I just figured out that you were doing a play on words with the ACID thing - right?

Bubba - hadn’t realized you could take the Acidized loops into Reaper. Using Acid, there is SO easy though. Acid just slows/speeds the loop down depending on the BPM setting (as you know).

Heh - no intended play on words… :laugh:

I got the AT4050 on Friday and so far, it sounds great! It does pick up my siblence but the mic just sounds smoother and less harsh than NT-1000 (which sounded OK on some stuff).

I am currently working on another song in my “Fav” list which is Golden Heart by Mark Knopfler. I wanted to get this mic so I could do the recording for this song with it. I’ll keep you updated.

By all means, post some recordings with it! :agree:

Quote: (Mr Soul @ Oct. 01 2009, 1:06 PM)

Bubba - hadn't realized you could take the Acidized loops into Reaper.
Using Acid, there is SO easy though.
Acid just slows/speeds the loop down depending on the BPM setting (as you know).

Not as complicated as I made it out to be... check this thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37861&highlight=acid+loop

Turn on snap to grid, hold Alt and drag the ACID loop to the length of a measure (which means you can drag it shorter to fit a half measure for double time), release the mouse/alt,
then just drag per normal in ACID. Tried it last night and works a peach. Takes 2 seconds longer than ACID and then you have no need to bounce back and forth. I figure 2 extra seconds in Reaper saves 10 minutes bouncing out of ACID. Also, play with the default project settings where you can choose what alg Reaper uses to do the time stretch.

I had been using Alt+ drag to fix timing issues on pitched instruments and vocals... but doing this with loops never occurred to me.

GLS ES-58/ES-57 any good? Reason I ask is. . .
http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5…ophones

With shipping would be about $53 for me.

I have heard a lot of good things about those. the supposedly sound a bit different, but still quite good. Probably worth a try if you don’t mind a bit of a gamble. Though I do know that company has been around for quite a few years, so at the very least they are not fly by night.

I’ve got this unbalanced mic called Carol, I kid you not. I bought it quite a few years ago when I was still a student and involved in a band and funding was sorta limited. I’ve been using it for home recording on mostly vocals since then. I
´m gonna get me a 57 one of these days just to increase coolness a bit,
although one of those affordable condensers could be nice as well.
But I understand quality kinda varies on those, and since I’ll probably will be buying the thing over the 'net from Thomann, I’m thinking the smart thing would be to bet on the safe horse. I might be better off with a 58, but I’m gonna record some guitars and not just voice, so.

Quote:

Not as complicated as I made it out to be... check this thread.

Right - that is usually the case. For now, I am going to continue to construct my drum tracks using ACID because it is so easy, plus I don't want to complicate my Reaper projects with all these drum loops.

Iwont - get the 57 before you get the cheap condenser - just my 2 cents - or get one of the audix vocal mics like the OM5 -

Quote:

audix vocal mics like the OM5

You have experience with this mic Tom?
I'm shopping for a vocal mic for a friend's project, and that looks like it may be a good compromise for recording and live vocals...?

OM5 is an excellent mic. A few years back an old girlfriend and I were shopping for a new mic for her to use live. She had been using an OM5 forever. We tried every high end stage mic that we could get our paws on… Neumann, AKG, Rode, Shure… a few others. She finally settled on the Neumann… but I tell you what… the OM5 and the Neumann were nearly indistinguishable to my ears. I think she got brand name hypnosis frankly. So yeah, a great mic for the money and could easily do double duty. The only downside is that it has a very tight pattern as it is built to reject feedback… thus you have to be very mindful of staying in the sweetspot.

Thanks bubba - any others you’d suggest for double duty?

What about the i5? My dad swears by 'em but I have to steal err… borrow one and try it.

D

I have 3 i5s and they are like a 57 but perhaps a tad more scooped… more bass and high end… not so much “honk”. I use them for guitar cabs and drums all the time along with my sole 57. (Blasphemy, I know) As for vocals, I have never tried them as such. However, I would imagine if you like a 57 on vox, you’ll probably like the i5. Beware, they have no internal pop filter like a 58 or OM5. So they may not be ideal with out some sort of mod.

A frigging great studio/live mic is a Sennheiser MD441… but the price tag will kill you. Probably the middle ground is a Sennheiser MD431 which is another great dual purpose mic. Then there is always the SM7… Great for both uses sonically… but not so great to have on a mic stand up front of the stage as they are a bit clunky… but totally worth it if the vocalist can hang with that.

What Bubba said about the OM5. I got one at a pawn shop for 50 bucks, in great shape. To me it sounds more natural than a 57. Not quite the same bump up there that the 57 has - you know what I mean. I’ve always wanted a Senn 441. I have a 421, but…the 441 just looks so cool…oh I also want an sm7. Also I’d like a Bentley, a small cabin on a private island, and 500 pounds of Kona coffee…

You want to make some offer on the Bluebird, Tommy? It’s just a hunk of pretty metal in my house.

Sure Tom. I’ll email ya.

OK - I’ve got a rough mix of Golden Heart on my web site. The acoustic instruments and my voice were all recording using the AT4050 (which I absolutely love). I posted the song on the NTrack Music Forum but you can get to it by going to my web site and clicking on Fav. Go easy now because I’m still working on some of the tracks (penny whistle in particular).

Interesting thread. I used to record at home using a Shure PG58 stage mic. Then I progressed to an Audio Technica and now I’m on Rode. But honestly, I’m not sure I can hear a lot of difference. Of course, it depends on whether your ears are as good as the mic, and I’ve been to a lot of Deep Purple concerts over the years :)