sub mix

how?

how do you guys do a sub mix? how does it work?

peace…

Submixes are handy when you have lots of things going on. If you got umpteen guitar tracks going and you’re satisfied with the way they sound together, solo all these `guitar tracks and do a mixdown. Then import that guitar mixdown into your song and remove the old ones (or rather save it as a new .sng file) and voila - you now have only one fader to tweak where you used to have umpteen.

Do the same for drums, vocals, whatever, and you should have a much more managable number of tracks to work with - eg one track for vocals, one for guitars, one for keyboards, one for drums, and so on and blah blah blah…

Note: You do NOT want to delete the original tracks in case you change your mind about what sounds good later on.

Comprende ?

Note: You do NOT want to delete the original tracks in case you change your mind about what sounds good later on.

If I may add, right-click the original tracks and click "remove’ when it asks if you want to delete, recycle bin, dont delete, cancel…click on cancel…this will remove the individual track from your song but it will remain in the songs folder. To reuse, as Teryeah states, if things dont work out with the mixdown. Then you can go back and bring the guitar tracks, vocals or what have you and redo a mixdown.

when it asks if you want to delete, recycle bin, dont delete, cancel…click on cancel…OOOOps

Make that…click on “dont delete” instead of cancle.

sorry

You can alos jsut send the desired tracks to a group. That way you can fiddle with them later without the need to re-import them, which you would have to do with the method teryeah and syn describe. Whatever works!

I use groups as well as it is easier to make changes if you want.

Send all your guitar tracks (or vocal tracks or whatever) to a group.
Then use the volume envelopes for each track to get the relative volumes right for each track for the song and then you can just use the group fader to adjust the overall volume of the guitar part or whichever part you have sent to that group.

To tidy things up I minimise the tracks I don’t need to see in the timeline and drag them to the bottom of the screen if necessary.
Only time I actually do a sub mixdown is if my system starts running low on resources.

Rich

I should have mentioned groups but he wasn’t asking about them :)
My response above was very long winded compared to my usual short stabs, so I stopped there. Besides, I’m on an old version and have trouble removing/deleting groups, so I use the save as(s) option and start a new song instead. Just less of a hassle and I can roll back without any hickups at all, keeping all options open :)

"My response above was very long winded compared to my usual short stabs"

At least you got it right in one take…where it takes me quite a few to get it right!:(

I wish I could say the same for my musicianship :)

So “submix” does not properly apply to the use of groups? Here I’ve been using that term wrong all this time. :(

It all depends on the context. A Group is a Subgroup is a Submix. n-Tracks uses the term Group in place of what a lot call Submixes, but we almost always say submix when we mean mixing a few tracks to a single track to save CPU. So, you aren’t wrong at all, Tom. My A&H mixer has 16 input channels and 8 submixes for example.

I read different meanings into these two terms, but what the heck do I know ?

What are you doing up this late? :)

Sorry pop - ZZzzzzzzz…

The kids are to go to bed at 10 you know… :D

hey guys just loged in. thanks all of you for answering my question in a quick notice. thanks guys!!! Best group of people ever!!!

peace…

Or should you have said “best subgroup” or perhaps “best submix” of people ever? ???

HA HA HA!!! nice one toms… thanks again to you guys!

peace…:smiley: