Sync & Lag Issues

I am having lag issues where the recorded tracks do not align with the previous tracks.
The manual states: use the compensation parameter in the Preferences/Wave devices/Advanced dialog box to compensate for the problem.
The problem is, I can’t seem to find the “Wave Device” button to continue on. All I find is the Prefernce Button (found under “Tools”).
Can someone offer a solution? Please?
I am using N-Track version 6-I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I have an Audiophile 2496 s-card.
Thank you!
Mark

Quote: (pianoman @ Mar. 14 2010, 1:35 PM)

I am having lag issues where the recorded tracks do not align with the previous tracks.
The manual states: use the compensation parameter in the Preferences/Wave devices/Advanced dialog box to compensate for the problem.
The problem is, I can't seem to find the "Wave Device" button to continue on. All I find is the Prefernce Button (found under "Tools").
I am using N-Track version 6-I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I have an Audiophile 2496 s-card.
Thank you!
Mark

Were the previous tracks recorded with an older build?

PACO

No…The song is from scratch. I have tried just a simple “Timing” beat with sticks and I can not match the main track or a click track.
At this point the program is usless to me. I can only record 1 track and be “in-time”. Very frusterating…

Quote: (pianoman @ Mar. 14 2010, 1:35 PM)

The problem is, I can't seem to find the "Wave Device" button to continue on. All I find is the Prefernce Button (found under "Tools").
Thank you!
Mark

go to the settings menu, then audio devices click the advanced tab and then the offset recordings by box, either negative or positive values.

quick things to check first
open preferences go to options, make sure use system for playback and recording are unchecked. this uses your soundcard as the clock source which is prefered. these are checked by default for some reason.
I'd do the same for the midi settings, set it to wave instead of system timer.

I'll see if can find a link I once had about testing for latency.

Don’t forget about all those times we suggested to not “Use System Timer” or to check/uncheck the Leave Devices Open option to see which works best. There are a lot of posts about both and one is usually at the root of sync issues. (I’ve never had to change the compensation values.)

The only sync issue I had was going from an older build, to a newer build (this caused my sync issue). I solved it by re-setting the song speed icon (on the top row of icons) to default even though it was already at default, then recorded fresh tracks. Fixed my sync issue by doing this.

Hope that helps,

PACO

Thanks for the info everybody.
However, I still have the problem. I’ve emailed Flavio with this issue but have not heard from him. I’m at a real loss here. I don’t want to give up N but I need a recording program that works.
I’ve tried all these adjustments you spoke of.
When I record a second track, I can watch the “Lag” numbers increase. Is this new to version 6? I never noticed it before. Nor have I ever had lag problems when recording.

Maybe, you can try this. I’m not sure what might be causing this, however there’s no harm in doing it. Make sure the security access for n-track is allowed for all users. Right click on the n-track.exe and go to security and make permission for all the users ie: default, admin or whatever is listed there has allow all.

Some questions, are you normalizing these tracks at all, are you using any plug-ins?

If you re-install n-track make sure to delete all the files in the install directory and in the my documents/settings folder as well. Do a search and make all the files are gone. An old cfg could be interfering with the program.

Decrease your the hz and bits of your project to something lower than your running right now. For example, if your at 24bit@96,000hz try 16bit at 48,000hz and see if the problem continues.

The project might be converting the first track once the second track begins to record, even though the first track plays back fine at first. This could very well be issue with Win 7. The on board audio might be set to something lower than what your current project is even though you might not be using the on-board audio during your project. If so and if your not using your on board audio you, might have to disable it in the BIOS or increase the hz from the windows audio control panel to match your current project settings.

PACO

Thanks for the help guys…but still no good.
I can’t seem to get timing “on”. I’m sure it is not me.
I’ve taken 2 click tracks, exactly the same, and recorded them both. Then lined them up to mate at the beginning and they go in and out of sync. I’ve tryed a single hit on the hats with the click track and when they are played back, still out of sync.
Does anyone know why Flavio isn’t responding to my e-mail? Is he on vacation? Is he still standing by his product? I’ve been loyal to N for years and have passed some good word of mouth on this program. However, I’m not having good luck with it anymore. Any suggestions?

Thank you

mark

" I solved it by re-setting the song speed icon (on the top row of icons) to default even though it was already at default, then recorded fresh tracks. Fixed my sync issue by doing this.

Btw…I don’t see this on my screen anywhere…HELP ! :p

Glad to hear it, Pianoman. Your prob has started to sound familiar - the kind that a ‘clean’ install would fix.

Quote: (pianoman @ Mar. 27 2010, 12:57 PM)

" I solved it by re-setting the song speed icon (on the top row of icons) to default even though it was already at default, then recorded fresh tracks. Fixed my sync issue by doing this.

Btw...I don't see this on my screen anywhere...HELP ! :p

It's this icon in the picture.

PACO

Nice screen shot is that what N is looking like these days?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Mar. 27 2010, 6:11 PM)

Nice screen shot is that what N is looking like these days?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

I was in hurry, it was taken from the main site screen shot section, LOL..

PACO

All Lag issues are a thing of the past.
How did I solve it?

I switched back to XP.

I even went back to 3.3

However, I’m a bit disappointed that I never heard from Flavio. I tried in earnest to get his input. Perhaps he was a bit busy getting out this latest version.

Funny thing though…He wasn’t slow in taking my money…

Quote: (pianoman @ Mar. 31 2010, 5:01 PM)

All Lag issues are a thing of the past.
How did I solve it?

I switched back to XP.

I even went back to 3.3

However, I'm a bit disappointed that I never heard from Flavio. I tried in earnest to get his input. Perhaps he was a bit busy getting out this latest version.

Funny thing though....He wasn't slow in taking my money....

I hope I don't have the same issues, I'll be starting work on my 4th album later this spring and I have Win 7 installed on my laptop. Glad to hear you got things sorted out.

PACO

Check that x1.00 button beside the clock button. Make SURE 1x is checked. If it’s not then playback speed may not be exactly 1.00, even if that’s what it look like. It could be something like 1.0003 or 0.99987. If that’s the case then almost nothing will sync and you’ll go nuts trying to figure it out.

Flavoi him his vacating with him famile in the grand blue med waters of malta and crete. thsat is the place where him spend u money lol. i know of these informacions. him tired of the doings ntracks. i go over to cockos reaper for me and mine tune.

Quote: (Horace Frankendingle @ Apr. 01 2010, 2:43 PM)

Flavoi him his vacating with him famile in the grand blue med waters of malta and crete. thsat is the place where him spend u money lol. i know of these informacions. him tired of the doings ntracks. i go over to cockos reaper for me and mine tune.

Do you work in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake Flanders?

PACO