T.S. Cindy

Sun is getting hotter according to German and Swiss scientists:

The truth about global warming - it’s the Sun that’s to blame

<!–QuoteBegin>

We’ve had usable and highly efficient fuel cells for decades.

sorry about that, i should have clarified that he and i were talking about portable/mobile cells… i do recall that he did confirm that we do have working fuel cells now… although, i don’t recall him saying that we’ve had them for decades…

and yeah, what ksdb said :)… some scientists have also theorized that sun spot activity increases temperatures here on good ol’ earth… i recall that there was some scientist who even used this theory to predict agricultural output/prices in the UK during the 19th century… the research referred to even some of galileo’s observations…

lots of people enjoy bemoaning humans’ effect on our beautiful planet… but we have to also observe natural occurences that affect climate cycles… consider volcanos, earthquakes, sun spots, et al… these things could simply be a part of the natural cycle of things… and many scientists would concur… rather than ask me “who?”, try using google… (although i must admit that you should carefully consider the source of all things you read online, just as you should consider who’s typing this :D)…

even though i’m not convinced that humans are ultimately responsible for climate change, i do believe that we shouldn’t be kicking mother nature in the knee… i grew up in south georgia, and i saw first hand how milling changes the land… it happened on all borders of my parents’ land… (insert sob story here)…

ok, now i must admit that i’m finishing up a six pack of tall boys, so i’ll have to check back tomorrow how well i did :D

isaac

<!–QuoteBegin>

Globally, 1997, 1998 and 2002 were the hottest years since worldwide weather records were first collated in 1860.

this echos my concern that we simply do not have enough reliable data to confirm whether humans are affecting the climate… i could ask five people each what his favorite color is and conclude that the favored color of humans is blue/green/yellow/red/et al…

hey! i’m still going! and there’s some colombian rum! :D

isaac

Ksdb, I’ve read that article, in various forms, and it’s certainly interesting.

However, I’ve been unable to find the original paper and discover what he actually said.

And if you look at the original Telegraph article (of which the one you posted was an abbreviation), you’ll see that his evidence is far from conclusive and is challenged by equally authoritative experts in the field.

But, it’s interesting all the same, and if you’ve a link for the paper, I’d be interested in reading it all.

<!–QuoteBegin>

although, i don’t recall him saying that we’ve had them for decades…

How long has the space shuttle been in operation?

(Oh yeah, and they are very mobile. :D

<!–QuoteBegin>
and yeah, what ksdb said … some scientists have also theorized that sun spot activity increases temperatures here on good ol’ earth…

See my above comment. And I’ll repeat, an unsubstantiated report merits further examination, but it does not constitute evidence.

<!–QuoteBegin>
… rather than ask me “who?”, try using google… (although i must admit that you should carefully consider the source of all things you read online,

Thank you for your sage advice Isaac, I shall certainly write that in my notebook as something to remember.

Just think, I’ve wasted a fairly long life by never researching data, checking data, nor validating data. What a dum-dum I am. :(

Quote (Sceptic Tank @ July 12 2005,18:19)
Ksdb, I’ve read that article, in various forms, and it’s certainly interesting.

However, I’ve been unable to find the original paper and discover what he actually said.

And if you look at the original Telegraph article (of which the one you posted was an abbreviation), you’ll see that his evidence is far from conclusive and is challenged by equally authoritative experts in the field.

But, it’s interesting all the same, and if you’ve a link for the paper, I’d be interested in reading it all.

It took less than two minutes to follow the links from the story to where this page was posted:

Sun and Heliosphere

There’s a nice graph part way down the page that shows the increase in temperature over the last 150 years.

Keep in mind, this is NOT my research. You seemed dubious (unless I misunderstood the smiley) that such research would exist and I merely pointed out that it did. Certainly we would hold all climatological research to similar standards of skepticism.

Thank you ksdb, either you’re very good at finding things on the Internet , or I’m very dumb. (probably both). :(

However, I did find that particular article, and after close study, ignored it.

It’s certainly not aimed at an academic level that would deserve attention of the good doctor’s peers. Perhaps a wee bit elevated for a typical supermarket tabloid, but, not much higher.

So, I find it difficult to accept that that is the scholarly paper.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Keep in mind, this is NOT my research. You seemed dubious (unless I misunderstood the smiley) that such research would exist and I merely pointed out that it did.

No ksdb, I did not say that the research did not take place, nor did I decry the validity of the conclusions.

However, as far as am concerned, un-corroborated data is merely that, uncorroborated.

I like to consider the weight of evidence.

But, you’ll notice in the study that the supposed increase of solar radiation is only assumed to be a contributory factor in Earth’s warming, not the sole factor, and that the human factor may be the more significant one.

Sorry guys, but doesn’t take rocket scientist to figure out that man is the cause of global warming. Man does affect his surroundings constantly. Go back just a100 years, take percent of concrete/asphalt on planet and compare with today. Everything we do affects our eco system. With every action there is a reaction.

Yaz (Going outside on concrete driveway for cigarette/fag, does this affect anything?)