The Ten Commandments

The Government

Shouldn’t the federal government stay out of religion and leave it to local governments to decide what gets displayed and what doesn’t? Or should the Feds always have the final say because the right to freedom of religion is guaranteed in the constitution?

If the Federal Government aren’t competent to decide these things, what makes you think local government is any better? LOL

Moses:
“OK, the good news, I got him down to ten.
The bad news, he still won’t move on adultery!”

:laugh:

Ali

Quote (Brad @ Dec. 09 2004,19:04)
Shouldn't the federal government stay out of religion and leave it to local governments to decide what gets displayed and what doesn't? Or should the Feds always have the final say because the right to freedom of religion is guaranteed in the constitution?

Constitutional issues ought to be up to the Supreme Court penultimately, and to the people, ultimately, through amendments; anyway, I think that's the theory. :)
Shouldn't the federal government stay out of religion and leave it to local governments to decide what gets displayed and what doesn't?
Yes & no. If the Kennedy hadn't stepped in with the guard in Alabama, it might have taken years more to have African-Americans be able to go to "public" colleges.

I agree w/ Tom about the Supreme Court. However, who's going to enforce the Federal laws? Surely, you can't leave it completely up to the States because they won't do it.

The feds need the right to trump states…thats why the Articles of Confederation never really worked. We weren’t a UNITED states under that philosophy…more like Europe. Civil War was fought over that very issue and the feds won. If they hadn’t we wouldn’t have survived in the present form.
Cheers :cool:

Well, I agree in theory with what you guys are saying. But here’s my thoughts. People for the most part should be able to decide their own fate. Really that’s what the whole morals issue is about as well. Take gay marriage for example. If massachusetts wants to let gays get married, but Oklahoma doesn’t that should be OK. If Alabama doesn’t want to have the Ten Commandments hanging in its courthouse but another state does that should be ok. It seems to me this whole argument about freedom of religion has gotten out of control. It just seems that removing any reference to god from our public places is a more than a little rediculous. I would agree that if someone is forced to go to church every sunday by the government, I’d have a problem with that. I’d also have a problem if the government was trying to tell me that one religion was better than the other.

Really that courtroom is that judges office. If he wants to hang a picture of Jesus Christ in there he should be allowed. I’m a federal employee. I have my own office. And I conduct interviews with the public all the time. Should someone have to be subjected to whatever I put up in my office? What if I had a big cross hanging up in my office? How about a swastika or a pentagram? Really my point is, where does it end? Why doesn’t someone pass a law that says no religious symbols in public places? Why doesn’t the government start an agency titled something like the RAA (Religious affairs agency) to make sure any offensive religous displays are banned and strictly enforced.

You might say the last statement is rediculous, I’d say that’s subjective. It just depends on what level the govt needs to insure our feelings don’t get hurt when it comes to religion. There is more time wasted in the courts over religious issues. It might be cheaper to have a govt. agency that guarantees our freedom of religion.

The Raa? Here we go making another Gov. agencie. Like the Gov. ain’t too big already. What we need to do is realize that freedom is the right to do as you please without stepping all over your neighbors rights. So do it in your own home and leave public places out of it. Freedom of expression, if you wanna paint your house the Stars ‘n’ Bars so be it, but let’s not paint the court house. If your neighbor paints his house gay and you don’t like it, look the other way or put up a fence!

What color should the courthouse be. Not everyone likes every color. Certainly someone would be put out no matter what color you use. Or what about different symbols. I won’t get deep into what different symbols mean but what I would point out is that many symbols have very different meaning from culture to culture. It’s impossible to keep every public building completely neutral, I think. So where does common sense stop and stupidity begin when it comes to this issue. That’s all I’m saying. Whether it’s the ten commandments or that eye on the pyramid on the one dollar bill, both can be equally offensive.

Quote (YazMiester @ Dec. 12 2004,05:49)
If your neighbor paints his house gay and you don't like it, look the other way or put up a fence!

What colour is 'gay' ?
Quote (jhonan @ Dec. 12 2004,13:01)
Quote (YazMiester @ Dec. 12 2004,05:49)
If your neighbor paints his house gay and you don't like it, look the other way or put up a fence!

What colour is 'gay' ?

You know, happy colors. Gay colors rather than somber colors. Some people just don't like to see their neighbors happy, especially when they choose to express that happiness by painting their houses yellow and blue and green and white and such. Isn't that awful? Grumpy people need to be more tolerant of those happy people around them, that's what I always say.

:)

By the way, there is an agency that has authority on matters like these. Several, actually.

By the way, there is an agency that has authority on matters like these. Several, actually.

Authority on the ten commandments?

Is that the Seraphim, Cherubim or Thrones?

I always get confused as to the celestial hierarchy! LOL

Mind you, I never seem to have any problems getting; Incubi, Succubi and Archdukes in the right order. ???

Ali

hmmmmm, what color is gay you ask? Let’s see, holiday colors are claimed gayly decorated, so maybe red and greens with a touch of Grey? We have a local sherriff that painted his jail PINK, is that gay? (It actually looks more like pepto bismol)

What symbol can we put on the courthouse that doesn’t offend anyone?

How bout “County Courthouse” with a get out of jail free card from that board game.

Offending people, just get over it! I’m offended by TV commercials and how they play on the children of our society, does this mean we need to ban them, take away a companies right to advertise their product? How far do we go with this politically correct BS. Cause that’s what it is, BS.

Ali, I think we need a refresher on St. Thomas.

First hierarchy: Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones

Second: the Dominations, Virtues, and Powers

Third, the Principalities, Archangels, and Angels.

(Nice conflation of OT and Paul, eh?) It’s those lowly Archangels in this case. I guess it’s not a very important job.

:)

Quote (YazMiester @ Dec. 14 2004,05:24)
How far do we go with this politically correct BS. Cause that's what it is, BS.

Ooooh....now you done went and done it Yaz.....you can't be making truthful statements like that! The PC SWAT team will be kicking in your door momentarily. They CAN find you. They found me and I live in Nowheresville. :D :D :D

TG

Wait - what is the PC BS in this case? A concern about homophobic speech? Such a concern is not BS. :)

PC Swat, lol, too much,…big brother is watching

The PC BS in this case?..dang I forgot what the starting topic was

Was Klingon’s involved in this thread at all???? If not they have invaded my brain somehow…ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooooo, not again, sorry dudes, am getting abducted again…

Where is my SpongeBob SquarePants Lunchbox?

Ah, now we’re talking, Spongebob - genius…

Ali, I think we need a refresher on St. Thomas.

First hierarchy: Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones

Second: the Dominations, Virtues, and Powers

Third, the Principalities, Archangels, and Angels.

Where does The Green Lantern fit in? ???

Ali