there's other  systems other then windows!

anybody hip to this stuff?

wow,an other os other then windws,some are free,anyone have any experience with any of these?

http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/os.html

I use windwos for make my music. Lot´s of reasons to that, BUT, i always installed linux, since it´s interesting, and have powerfull tools.
Musix is my prefered linux distro for music. You can run it from a bootable cd if you want to test it. Later can install it.

Linux is definitely viable; I’ve been watching it for some time.
But before you jump ask yourself one question:

"How the heck am I going to survive without plugins???"

Since none of the DirectX, VST, RTAS or AU plug will run under Linux…

???

Well, a jump is not needed, you can have a dual machine,or an old machine with linux. Also, to run vst plugins is possible… with certain limitations.
But, my friend, i have passed hours tweaking linux, os2, hundred of plugins… and believe me, you can forget that make music is your point. Be carefully :wink:

Yep the others are all fine… unless you actually want to run some software! In that respect the Windows platform has it all sorted.

For anyone wanting to play around with different operating systems I recommend Microsoft’s “Virtual PC” or VMWare’s free virtual server (the better option IMO). (Google them). These allow you to install different operating systems within “virtual machines” on your current PC - without messing with your current install.

Unless you have a super-duper-puter you may find the newer O/Ss run a bit sluggishly under a VM but it’s still good enough to play with.

VMWare have a whole bunch of free virtual machine downloads on their website. For example you can download an entire Linux distro that you just “open” in VMWare (no need to install etc). Or you can download a Linux machine running running a Mambo web server. Whatever takes your fancy. (No commercial operating systems though, of course).

X

i fingerd sumthin was amiss,it just blew my mind to find these things,never knew anything like that was there,i mite play around with one of them in the future,on the old machine.
installed xp pro last night and all seems good,

I use Linux for my main laptop here at work. Actually, I use Linux for nearly everything anymore. The few Windows apps that don’t run in WINE, I run in a Virtual Machine running Windows on Linux. For music stuff, well, you are stuck with Mac or Windows for now as the drivers aren’t there yet in Linux.

Go AmigaOS, Workbench 1.3 rules! :D

I’m with Gizmo! That was my first OS and what I learned to program on. Bars & Pipes!

wow, I didn’t realize there were so many alternatives. Of course as mentioned earlier, software is a bit of a problem.

I have an Amiga setup that was built in the late’80’s early '90’s… However, the power supply failed and here’s where I am now…

Don’t hold your breath while I Rant… Sorry guys…

I was learning the In’s-and-Outs of MIDI with it… (the Amiga) But MIDI is not where I want to be for tracking… Some MIDI for me is fine… I just don’t want to make it the main product of the music I produce…

This Windows Operating System is just not any place for musicians to be around for their creativity… Bill Gates and His Boys place the Music Making so far down the list of their priorities that it’s not even on the first page…

Eventually… Mac/Apple will be swallowed up by Gates and His Boys and they’ll put the priority of music making on computers even farther down the list…

The reason for this… and the way I see is…

Bill Gates and Boys wants to make the Art of Creativity on a computer the Focal Point of computer navigating… instead of shifting the focal point of using the computer to create the End Product…

All the Studio Operator wants from his computers is to plug a mic into IT and get a CD outta the end… with his music on IT… I don’t think Bill Gates sees it that way…

Bill…