TomS

NEED HELP!!!

HEy tom,

Was wondering if you could offer me your expertise for a moment and let me know if this guitar is worth $850.

No one seems to want it…and I thought maybe this is a bad year/model or something as if there is such a thing with ricks…

Here is a link to the auction (now don’t go out bidding me!)

Rick, $850

I got about 15 hours to weigh in on this one, so hopefully you will hear my cry and come to my aid!

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Seems like a good price considering what a new one goes for. How’s it play? That’s the big question.

I can’t imagine a $1800 guitar playing bad…unless of course there is a bad player using it! lol

I know what you say tho, it is hard to tell via internet, and you do take your chances somewhat with guitars purchased this way.

I got a Fender Strat 70’s reissue that was good, however, I have gotten other guitars that needed work, like my Ibanez Rg7621, but that was a much newer and cheaper manufactured guitar.

If Diogenes was still here I would have him go over and test it for me, it is in Georgia!

Thanks for the advice, I did not consider it is an 89…that is antique and there could be issues…I admittedly do not know much about these, which is why I was hoping Tom was around, like for instance is it a neck through or solid?..you’d think it would be for better sustain, which could cause issues the older a guitar gets…

keep shinin

I found some more detailed pictures on the RIckenbaucker sight and it shows the back, it is a neck through, at least the current 602 model.

keep shinin

Hi jeremysdemo:

That’s a classic looking guitar…
From what I see from the photos …
it looks like it was a “Working” guitar…
The guitar doesn’t look like it was abused…
The marks on it is what happens to a “Working” guitar that is in-and-out of the case all the time…
Instruments like that sell for a few reasons…

The guy is tired of it and has moved on…

I hate to say these…

Something wrong with the “Electrics”…

Something not right with the neck…

Both of those can be fixed…
BUT…
At what expense ????

I don’t know…
What do you supposed it sold for when it was new…
????

Have you decided that is much as you’ll invest in it, to own and play it ?

Putting myself in his shoes…
I’d say he put it on E-Bay cause it’s gotta go…
It’s the best place to sell it and get the most for it…

And that don’t answer any of your questions…

The only way to really know is, to play it…
and SEE…

I think it would be nice for $850.00
if it’s a gem…
It would be nice if you got it and it was a gem…
You deserve that guitar…

Jump in the car and take a drive…
How far south in Georgia, is it?

Bill…

If there are none of the problems that Bill has pointed out, then it’s a good price, seems to me. I’m not sure how the neck could be so worn by just sitting in the case. That’s a red flag. That would probably make me wait to see what else might turn up. It just looks wrong.

That’s the model I have, although mine’s obviously a few years younger. I can’t believe how much they cost now - mine was a lot less than 2200 new - which is what the Music Zoo, where I got mine, is now selling them for.

I will also say that you might prefer the sound of the 330/12. This one is solid body. The neck is also quite small (good for me!), and folks with larger hands might have trouble getting clean notes out of it.

All that said, I really like mine, they are wonderfully well made guitars and very satisfying to play in general, but how can you tell without playing one, really?

I dunno, that neck looks weird to me.

YEa that is the opening bid, but I watch them go for much much more…but only if other people bid…which is why I am thinking there has to be some reason no one else is bidding on it…something I don’t know that the rest of the Rickenbaucker world does…

TOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomMmm!

keep shinin

Yep - it’s gotta be that neck - the more I look at it, the more I think that you should save your shekels. It just looks wrong, and the seller is either mistaken or is fibbing about it, I think.

Thanks mighty mouse. :)

I contacted the seller to see if he will post a picture of the side of the neck to look at the action…unless of course there is a REASOn he is not showing that angle in the pics…

keep shinin

No problem, Atom Ant! :laugh:

http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/0_sounds/Atom_Ant_(1965).wav

Update, yea the guy posted a pic of the side to show that angle, that action looks REALLY high…No sale.

What do you think does it look high to you?

I think I could put a pencil in there…is that how these are supposed to be?
What is the deal with the back of that neck? it looks like the varnish has been steamed off…like it was leaning up against a heater or something…

keep shinin

There’s a picture of the side of the neck up there. It looks mighty bowed. Either the truss rod is bent or loose. (don’t know if those guitars have two like some ricks). If’ it’s just loose them maybe all it needed is a good setup and time to get seated.

The way the back of the neck looks is typical of a guitar that’s been sitting in the case a really long time. The imprint of any fur touching the finish can make a permanent imprint in the finish. This is especially true of cheaper polymer coatings. Ricks aren’t cheap, so it may have been stored in an un-air-conditioned place for a while. It doesn’t take much really. Older Gibsons get those cracks in the finish for similar reasons. Could have been left in the trunk of a car in Georgia heat. A lot of time these are just cosmetic, but it does change the feel of the neck.

Regardless, the neck as-is doesn’t look to be in very good shape at all. I bet it’s nearly unplayable as-is. Might be a nice piece to pick up at a lower price for someone into restoring.

THanks phoo that what I though that neck looks like you could hollow it out and make a canoe out or bow of it.

I’m not looking for a boat or to go bow hunting so I will have to pass.

Once again you guys are great :agree:

keep shinin

Someone bought it.

They must not have had friends like ya’ll or they were wanting a project piece.
:D

I’m actually looking at a SCHECTER CSH-12, or a DANELECTRO DC-12 reissue, more in my price range and I need something I can take on the road and not have to worry about it so much.

keep shinin

those dan electros are a scream.

scream as in THRILLER, or as in Another Scary Movie…? it could go either way…

If I don’t get the SCHECTER, I have my eyes on a Danelectro from the Korean factory with the glossy finish, supposed to be superior to the Chinese matte finish…both in looks and build quality…

we will see if this guy is forth comming with the side shots of the neck!

Danelectro

keep shinin

Well, they most definitely have a sound. It’s those pickups. I rather like them.

Hi TomS:

Those pickups you describe…

Are those the ones that some call “Lipstick” pickups ????

Bill…