too much reverb? not enough?

Quote (wynot @ April 21 2007,22:24)
She sings nice! I think I would classify the song more Americana than Alt.Country, though. Just so you know, I am listening to the hifi cut on a small (75w per side) PA system. First thoughts are that there is a keyboard playing a guitar part - playing the part perfectly well, but it confuses me… :laugh: Second is that the keyboard occupies a lot of the same sonic territory as the vocal, and could stand to have a little bit of surgical EQ to open up the sound. I think if you watch the vocal track in the nTrack EQ window, you can see which frequencies she is hitting, and make matching cuts in the keys part. A tip I picked up here that has served me well is to find a part where the singer is singing pretty constantly for a while, and pull the master volume down until you can just barely hear it - the last thing you should hear before it becomes too quiet, is the singer’s voice. Try this with almost any popular or successful recording, and you will see that most all of them are mixed that way. We love the sound of the human voice, and this is true across all cultures, from what I see…

Trust me on this: get a copy of SFZ, dig up a few free soundfonts and open up n’s midi editor (the help file is lacking, but will get you a good start). The piano roll is a great way to create drum loops or whole drum parts once you grok how it works, and it is really not as complicated as it may seem at first. I have gotten so I can just look at the piano roll window and have a pretty good idea how the playback will sound, just from hacking at it for the last few years.

'til next time;
tony

tony
She sings nice! I think I would classify the song more Americana than Alt.Country, though.

-----------------

Thanks Tony i really do have a problem with genre especially since i am probably a bit more country than her , even though she is a descendant of Dee and Delta Hicks .

-------------------------------------

tony
Just so you know, I am listening to the hifi cut on a small (75w per side) PA system. First thoughts are that there is a keyboard playing a guitar part - playing the part perfectly well, but it confuses me…
--------------------------------------------

Well that makes sense because instrumentally i am primarily a guitarist.

-----------------------------
tony
Second is that the keyboard occupies a lot of the same sonic territory as the vocal, and could stand to have a little bit of surgical EQ to open up the sound. I think if you watch the vocal track in the nTrack EQ window, you can see which frequencies she is hitting, and make matching cuts in the keys part.
---------------------------------
Great suggestion Tony :D , i never really thought about that before , i knew i was echoing her vocal in places as that is how i was taught on guitar to complement what the singer was doing but yes overdone it could get in the way of the vocal especially as you said when the frequencies are close.

-----------------------------------------
tony
A tip I picked up here that has served me well is to find a part where the singer is singing pretty constantly for a while, and pull the master volume down until you can just barely hear it - the last thing you should hear before it becomes too quiet, is the singer’s voice. Try this with almost any popular or successful recording, and you will see that most all of them are mixed that way. We love the sound of the human voice, and this is true across all cultures, from what I see…
-----------------------------------------

Another great suggestion Tony and that is a really cool trick , thanks! :D
Personally i like to burry the vocal but you are right most people like to have it up front.

------------------------------------------------

Trust me on this: get a copy of SFZ, dig up a few free soundfonts and open up n’s midi editor (the help file is lacking, but will get you a good start). The piano roll is a great way to create drum loops or whole drum parts once you grok how it works, and it is really not as complicated as it may seem at first. I have gotten so I can just look at the piano roll window and have a pretty good idea how the playback will sound, just from hacking at it for the last few years.

'til next time;
tony

--------------------

Once again another really great suggestion Tony , i certainly will do that but i Don’t know , somehow after recording with Don Powell near Nashville i was so impressed with sound engineering i thought i could do it and on a couple of songs i think I was almost able to match a few local sound engineers but when I see people like you and him I just don’t know.

He did all of this except i wrote and sang the song and i just can’t figure out how he gets it that smooth , keep in mind this recording was from a tape and then converted right to Mp3 .

http://www.soundclick.com/bands…5249004

I guess it will take some time to get where you guys are at. :D

Danny