Track Bleeding

Signal Chain

Hi, thanks for the help in advance.
Probably this is an easy question for one of your gurus. But I have a buddy with nTrack who can’t multitrack properly yet because the existing tracks get picked up by any new track recording. I’m trying to understand if that is an NTrack problem, or just a sound card issue, so I’m looking for advice to help diagnose this. In the NTrack as well as Windows sound card settings the playback device is set to the line out of the soundcard, and the recording device is set to the line in of the soundcard. It by the way is the Creative Labs Effigy external sound card. I haven’t found a way yet to make Ntrack pick up track 1 while recording track 2 (if you wanted to, ala bouncing tracks) but perhaps you can tell me if that is even possible in the first place (so we could disable that from happening). Otherwise if anyone has any other advice, I’d surely appreciate it. Thanks,
Sam

Just have to dubblecheck - you are using line is as the recording source and not something like ‘what you hear’ or ‘stereo mix’ ?

Also: How do you get the sound into the sound card and back out again into your ears ? (Mixer, headphones, headphone amp, Hifi ?)

W.

Hi folks,
well…I have the same problem. Every time I try to record a new track, it picks up the noise from the first track. I just realized that this happens to me when I use my amp as a speaker. I mean, I plug my guitar into the amplifier and then the amplifier, through the ‘line in’ plug, to my laptop. And then from the ‘headphones line out’ to the ‘aux in’ plug on the amp.
How can I solve this problem? How can I use my amp and my laptop with one set of headphones without getting the 'bleeding’???
Thanks a lot

Why do you need to plug your headphones into your amp? Can’t you just use the headphone line out straight to your headphones?

Dave T2

Quote (asangros @ Oct. 06 2006,23:19)
Hi folks,
well…I have the same problem. Every time I try to record a new track, it picks up the noise from the first track. I just realized that this happens to me when I use my amp as a speaker. I mean, I plug my guitar into the amplifier and then the amplifier, through the ‘line in’ plug, to my laptop. And then from the ‘headphones line out’ to the ‘aux in’ plug on the amp.
How can I solve this problem? How can I use my amp and my laptop with one set of headphones without getting the 'bleeding’???
Thanks a lot

Well basically you are feeding the sound(s) out of the laptop back to your amp so you can hear it… which is of course both the track you are recording and your previous tracks. Then you stick that back into the laptop and record “what you are hearing” and guess what… you record what you hear (which is all the tracks).

You could fiddle with your soundcard’s mixer (or the Windows mixer) so that the signal source that you are recording is not routed back out of the soundcard. (This is the traditional “zero-latency” method of working with a mixer). So you are reliant on hearing the source that you are recording directly from the amp. To do this, open the Windows mixer, and uncheck your input source (probably Line-in or something) from the “Playback” mixer.

Or use Dave’s suggestion and plug your headphones directly into the soundcard.

X

<!–QuoteBegin>

Track Bleeding

And it ain’t even halloween yet.

Some tracks I tell ya, just can’t wait to put on a costume.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

I just want to record a new track while I’m listening the rest of the tracks.
If I use my headphones straight from the laptop the sound coming from the amp is loud.
So I can’t play without the headphones because of the neighbours.
Anyway…I’m just beginning with all this.
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

Quote (asangros @ Oct. 08 2006,21:03)
I just want to record a new track while I'm listening the rest of the tracks.
If I use my headphones straight from the laptop the sound coming from the amp is loud.
So I can't play without the headphones because of the neighbours.
Anyway...I'm just beginning with all this.
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

Buy another set of headphones and plug them into your guitar amp to shut it up while you listen to the headphones plugged into the soundcard. You may, depending on your amp, even get away with just plugging a stereo lead (TRS) or one of those headphone adaptors into your amp. Depends how your amp's headphone socket responds to having no load on it.