Un-Processed Audio from USB interfaces, Hi Flavio

Un-Processed Audio from USB interfaces

Hi Everybody,

Here’s the issues at present. I have been trying out a variety of different USB Audio Interfaces with N-Track and I seem to be running into the same problem over and over. Now I own a Line6 UX2 and it allows for me to use a standalone application, “gearbox” and I’m able to hear and play and record processed audio from it. Now I bought a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 and I run Guitar Rig 3 and I can hear it and play but when it comes to recording I only get a dry signal. The same holds true for the EMU Tractor Pre USB interface and the Tascam US144. Why is it when Line6 UX2 can allow for a processed signal into the DAW and the others do not? My question to Flavio is, can the sound I’m hearing, processed audio from a standalone application be forced into the DAW unchanged/processed? This would solve a lot of problems if the ASIO driver could be forced into allowing the process signal to be recorded without track bleeding. This would allow me to use a number of standalone applications, like my Waves GTR which I currently can’t use.

The only way to do it now, is to record the dry signal, then apply the standalone apps VST to it, which is pain in the butt IMO.

Waiting for a miracle, :whistle:

PACO

What is recorded depends on what is sent into the input (you know that) - I do like gearbox’s set-up for sends to record. I’m not familiar with the others but, if they don’t have internal abilities to send wet out, how does that pertain to n-Track?

It’s all in the routing. I read these types of threads all the time. I don’t have personal experience with any of those products but from what I have read, they give you multiple audio paths to choose from so you can record dry or effected signals. Lots of people prefer to record dry so they can play with the guitar tone/amp sim/cab etc while mixing. You probably just need to dig into your documentation(s) and figure out the routing.

I played around with amp sims for a while and never really found anything that jumped out at me. I just go back to my POD or Pandora… I understand these things have improved some though…

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Aug. 27 2009, 9:24 AM)

What is recorded depends on what is sent into the input (you know that) - I do like gearbox's set-up for sends to record. I'm not familiar with the others but, if they don't have internal abilities to send wet out, how does that pertain to n-Track?

I've been at this for sometime now. I'm just interested if it can be forced through n-Track. Please let me explain. I can route GR3 and my other standalone apps and record wet, the method being, using my line in on my Audigy 4 and using ASIO4ALL, if I use the creative ASIO I get track bleeding. This issue with this setup, is sound quality of the line in on the Audigy 4. I also have another issue of interference from my main PC's power supply, which is 1500w, so the pickups on my guitar pick up noise, expect for my EMG pickups, which have their own power supply and are not effected but this noise.

This all started when, all I wanted to do was record some guitar with my Guitar Rig 3.

I'm wanting to use my laptop, which I require a USB interface and the Line6 works great. The guys over at the NI forum are complaining about this very issue. You can't record wet from the standalone and many are upset, me being one of them. I understand as I mention before I can record dry, then place the VST on top and get the sound I'm after, but considering this process, if you want to bring your DAW to it's knees then do just that. I mean take for example a basic recording using GR3. Bass, Vocals, Guitar ,Lead, back up vocals, this will take at minimum 5 mono tracks, and if you want them in stereo, you have to double up and then pan them. But you also have to add the GR3 VST to all of them, you could end up running 10 instances of GR3 vst just to do that not to mention other VST in the process. As a result, people complain about the latency and other issue related to over stressing the DAW and I can see why. Moreover my main complaint is, if I buy a USB interface/sound card, I would expect it to behave, using it's ASIO drivers, like any other sound card and allow you to record what you hear. Line6 does, why the others don't is ridiculous and just makes things more difficult.

It's not in the routing, NI has confirmed you can't record wet from the standalone. Thats why I'm looking to see if the audio "heard" can be forced into n-track without track bleeding.

PACO

This is way out of my department then - I always use my gear as VST’s. If the project get’s weighty track wise I may render for mixdown to free resources and have a wet wav but I’ve never even opened them as stand alones, and simply don’t see the need for a stand alone to be used. Not part of my work flow is all. Good luck with the toys. this seems to be a problem that needs a better fix or work around though - I see how it could be a buzz kill.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Aug. 27 2009, 12:19 PM)

This is way out of my department then - I always use my gear as VST's. If the project get's weighty track wise I may render for mixdown to free resources and have a wet wav but I've never even opened them as stand alones, and simply don't see the need for a stand alone to be used. Not part of my work flow is all. Good luck with the toys. this seems to be a problem that needs a better fix or work around though - I see how it could be a buzz kill.

Thanks for the input Poppa :)

PACO