Unhappy with N Track

things a person should be told

I have purchased N track less than 2 months ago.Now when I put in the main track as the back track, then add my voice in the second track it plays back out of sync. Now I have complained since buying this program and was told that it’s my soundcard. Well my sound card is only 2 months old as well. What makes me so angry is everyone should be told there are only so few soundcards n tracks works well with.
When I was told that I was one unhappy person as I had just purchased new. So I asked for my money back, and was told I was too late, had N track more than 1 month. I have to tell anyone wanting to buy this to check it out carefully as it really isn’t fair how this has happened to me and I hope others don’t get caught in the same situation. Truly unhappy here

Questions! Who told you it was your sound card? What sound card have you got? What system setup have you got?
If you put the answers here, you should get responses from some people much smarter than me.
I have n-Track for 6 years with 3 different sound cards, with no issues. Let’s see if someone can help before you write the program off :)

Hi Sharleen,
You came to the right place. There are a bunch of people here who can get you rollin soon.
Check back often for answers, you’ll get a lot of help tomarrow.
But you will have to explain some about your setup.
What kind of sound card?
Which version of Ntrack, build etc.
A little about your computer, type, size, windows,mac? Which version of windows.
The usual questions. Make a list and post it here. Don’t worry, your card is probably fine and ntrack is a cool program after a little tweeking.
Sorry it’s been frustrating for you so far.

you insert a track - play track - N sends a BUFFER full of audio to the soundcard which plays out that audio - when you record the soundcard records a BUFFER FULL of audio and transfers that to N - the larger the bufer settings the greater the difference between input and output sync -

it goes like this -

play play play play
record record record record

so you can see that the two do not line up -

to achieve what you want you have to have an ASIO capable soundcard and use very small buffer settings which shortens how much audio is sent in the buffers –

play play play play play play
record record record record record record

using ASIO and low buffers brings the two back closer together

EMU/Creative soundcards ususlly need N to be set at 48000hz setting not the default 44100hz setting -

M.R.

Sorry to hear you’re not happy. Odds are we can get you happy. Give us the “scoop” on your system and we’ll see.

Quote:

EMU/Creative soundcards usually need N to be set at 48000hz setting not the default 44100hz setting -

Only the EMU/Creative cards using the EMU10K1 DSP chip! My EMU 1820M works great at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 or 192 kilohertz.

Just to be clear... :)

D
Quote:

to achieve what you want you have to have an ASIO capable soundcard and use very small buffer settings which shortens how much audio is sent in the buffers

That's not true. It's a too broad statement.. ASIO gives lower latency but has nothing to do with syncing tracks. If it did then most soundcards wouldn't work and most of us would be up the creek. I never use ASIO and the only times I have sync problems is when I done something I shouldn't. (EchoAudio PureWave devices use MME.)

Sharleen, sounds like someone has been has been fill your ears with a bunch of misinformation.

Sigh Is this the age old uncheck "Keep devices open’ deal? Uncheck “Keep devices open”. See what happens.

Settings > Audio Devices > Advanced Button > Uncheck "Keep audio devices open"

Oldest problem in the book… that I wrote… about N-track problems. :)

I hope Sharleen will visit this forum and we can help. It is so frustrating to get new software and then not have it work. Unfortunately, frustration seems to be the first product produced by new computers and/or the users. I have been using computers for over 30 years and they frustrate the hell out of me!
I have to agree phoo, ASIO is not necessarily the answer, and may cause problems with some systems and certainly is Not Required to get n_Track to work properly.
Because the PC (IBM) architecture is so changable from one computer to the other, there is no “magic bullet” for all the different configurations available. There could be any number of possible reasons for the problem, and the only way we can help is if we have the information as to how that system is configured. It is usually just a matter of someone who has experienced the same problem. I crummy sound card can cause problems, but most will allow a couple of tracks to be recorded in sync. So, until Sharleen shares what the computer’s set up is, no one can be sure what the problem truely is. There are Some things to try;
The “Keep Devise open” might be a problem (by the way, the feature is actually turned off when using ASIO as only one instance of ASIO can run).
Turn off “Live”
- I never liked the name for this feature. It is to hear effects and will add delay/latency to a recording, and I think some people believe it needs to be active to overdub tracks.
Try the different drivers for the sound card. They are not always equal. Basically, there are 3 kinds of sound drivers:
- ASIO should be the fastest but some folks, me included do not like that you cannot record/play sound on more than one open program at a time with ASIO and it does seem to cause problems for some folks
- WDM almost as fast at ASIO and will work well on most Windows based systems.
- MME the oldest, slowest of the Windows systems, but almost always works.
So, unfortunately, it sometimes takes a bit of tweeking to get audio recording to work well on a computer and N-Track will do a great job and requires no more tweeking than any other program I ever tried to run.
Hope this helps some.
Bax

Quote: (bax3 @ Feb. 24 2009, 10:51 AM)

Turn off "Live"
- I never liked the name for this feature.
It is to hear effects and will add delay/latency to a recording, and I think some people believe it needs to be active to overdub tracks.
- ASIO should be the fastest but some folks, me included do not like that you cannot record/play sound on more than one open program at a time with ASIO and it does seem to cause problems for some folks
-
WDM almost as fast at ASIO and will work well on most Windows based systems.

In my experience with NTrack the "live" feature also caused me problems.
I never had much luck with ASIO either so I have stuck with wdm.
But I use an on-board realtec soundcard w/vista.

Total amateur here....

But, don't give it up, its way to much fun and there are plenty of people here who will be able to get you going.

cliff