Upgrading woe's.......

As some of you already know I am in the middle of a re-vamp…

I am one of the few remaining from that dying breed of 2.3 trackers… :)

The new PC has XP on it…and I am dreading the transfer of files…(from windows 98SE)

most of my stuff is on a Fantom 120 G external drive…each wav. file…but I would like to be able to use the sng. files as well and all the settings I have done on songs over the years…

Any and all suggestions are welcome, what to expect, do’s and dont’s…

I’m assuming I need to get another version $ and that my old mixing settings will be no longer… boo hoo…

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

On a side note I was looking at some monitors…because if your going to use better equipment to record you might as well be able to hear what it’s going to sound like…lol

Anywho I came across these:

Studiophile BX5a Deluxe

I noticed they had the TRS 1/4 and a XLR on the “input” panel on them…was wondering how one would hook them up to say a M-audio Audiophile firewire interface? or would they work of of the computers built in soundcard?

I noticed the interface has a few RCA outs…and also noticed the Studio pro 3 speaker model has RCA ins… ?

Does the Firewire interface act as the soundcard for playback?(monitoring)

too many questions, I just don’t want to start plugging things into the wrong inputs and BOOM! :whistle:

HELP!

If anyone has any suggestions as well for good computer monitoring systems let me know, drop some names! 100-$150 range tee hee

keep shinin’

You should be able to use the version of n-track you’ve got without problems. Don’t change too many things at once.

Make sure you copy over your vsti/vst folder. Your song files should then load up OK. DirectX effects are a bit of a PITA as you will have to re-install them on your new box.

HEy Mark , thanks for the reply.

I got the Johnson! $70, US. :O

keep shinin’

Cool. I don’t think you’ll be disapointed.

It’s usuable from the front panel but if you download the free software from their site you can hook up the J to your PC via MIDI and use the software to control the patches. It’s pretty easy to use. You can also load up patches from the Internet.

Quote: (Mark A @ Feb. 04 2008, 6:51 AM)

Cool. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

It's usuable from the front panel but if you download the free software from their site you can hook up the J to your PC via MIDI and use the software to control the patches. It's pretty easy to use. You can also load up patches from the Internet.

Yep, I don't know to much about patches..other than the ones on my jeans!

Also I'm not sure I want to overload the computer with it having to deal with the firewire box AND a midi/usb conection in real time.....

Probably just use it with the 1/4 out through the board for now....

I think I get what your saying though that it can be controlled by midi? like a foot pedal or something? or inside the puter?

Eh, I'm sure if I ever want to spend the time I will get into the digital aspect of it...

The box came with a Zoom 505II pedal as well I'm hoping it is quieter than my Ibanez distortion pedal in case I want to add a little more crunch!

Only one down side to the deal, no power supply.....

i heard in a forum you could use a Nintendo adapter! don't know if that was legit or not.

keep shinin'

Jerm,

You need a wall-wart transformer that delivers 9 Volts AC and rated for at least 1.3 amps. It’s printed right on the back of the J-Station. Buddy of mine had one… traded it off… he regrets it. Good sounding box IMO.

Check out that Nintendo power supply. Supposedly it’s rated for 1.6 amps @ 9 VAC so it ought to do the job. I don’t know about the connector though. It would be easy enough to replace if you are handy with a soldering pencil.

D

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 04 2008, 1:14 PM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Feb. 04 2008, 6:51 AM)

Cool. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

It's usuable from the front panel but if you download the free software from their site you can hook up the J to your PC via MIDI and use the software to control the patches. It's pretty easy to use. You can also load up patches from the Internet.

Yep, I don't know to much about patches..other than the ones on my jeans!

Also I'm not sure I want to overload the computer with it having to deal with the firewire box AND a midi/usb conection in real time.....

Probably just use it with the 1/4 out through the board for now....

Yeah, don't get confused here. 1/4" outs to the mixer (or the S/PDIF) is the only way to get sound out of the J-station. The MIDI connections are just to give you some control over the way the sounds are built up.

There's no PC loading issues to contend with.

What I do is to whizz up the J-station software and play around with the amp sims and effects until I get a setup I like. I can then save that patch in the J-station and on the PC if I want (it's just a little file). Then you can close the editing software if you want and use the J just like a stomp box when you record.

You can edit the settings on the front panel of the J but it's much, much, much easier with the software. You don't have to know anything about MIDI. As long as your PC has a MIDI port, and you connect up the J the right way round it'll just work!
Quote: (Diogenes @ Feb. 04 2008, 8:58 AM)

Jerm,

You need a wall-wart transformer that delivers 9 Volts AC and rated for at least 1.3 amps. It's printed right on the back of the J-Station. Buddy of mine had one... traded it off... he regrets it. Good sounding box IMO.

Check out that Nintendo power supply. Supposedly it's rated for 1.6 amps @ 9 VAC so it ought to do the job. I don't know about the connector though. It would be easy enough to replace if you are handy with a soldering pencil.

D

Thanks D,

So you don't think the extra amps will make a difference?

I have tried in the past to use 9V adapters that had a different Amp number on them for FX pedals and got nothing but hum added to the signal...

I have quiet a few old ones from various devices laying around.....just gonna have to see what I got, and yes I do have a soldering gun and am prepared to use it if necessary! take no prisoners. :peace:

now to find that good monitoring system.....was looking at some K-RoKs yesterday....and me lust of the flesh got the best of me.....Then there's the Yamaha NS-10M's but they are out of my budget!

keep shinin'

Quote: (Mark A @ Feb. 04 2008, 9:36 AM)

Yeah, don't get confused here.

I'm trying not too..... :)

1/4" outs to the mixer (or the S/PDIF) is the only way to get sound out of the J-station.

Ok, Yeah the POD has the USB out.........

he MIDI connections are just to give you some control over the way the sounds are built up.

OK I get it....will experiment with that when I have time....I'm expecting it to take me a few days to get everything connected and set up...after that will want to do some recording (been a while) after that it will be time to seek and find what can be found....

|
Thank goodness....because I have enough problems with computer based recording as it is! :)

What I do is to whizz up the J-station software and play around with the amp sims and effects until I get a setup I like. I can then save that patch in the J-station and on the PC if I want (it's just a little file). Then you can close the editing software if you want and use the J just like a stomp box when you record.

Sounds like you have had some good times.... :angry:

I noticed the retail on this device was considerably higher than the suggested retail for the POD...I am hoping this is because it is better, you get what you pay for kinda theory.

You can edit the settings on the front panel of the J but it's much, much, much easier with the software. You don't have to know anything about MIDI. As long as your PC has a MIDI port, and you connect up the J the right way round it'll just work!

Got it. Now turning over that stone only reveals another worm!
I do not have a MIDI soundcard currently installed on the new Puter....
But there is a "MIDI" input and output on the M-audio interface....was wondering if that would work?

I could take a card out of another puter but my PCI slots are limited on that mother...and I'm already going to be using one for the firewire card.... :heart-break:

keep shinin'

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 04 2008, 9:41 PM)

So you don't think the extra amps will make a difference?

I have tried in the past to use 9V adapters that had a different Amp number on them for FX pedals and got nothing but hum added to the signal...

General rule of thumb with power supplies is....

"Extra amps" won't hurt at all, but "extra volts" will.

"Insufficient amps" will cause problems (eg humming as you have discovered is a common one).

Often, you can get away with a slightly underated power supply (ie "insufficient amps") as the manufacturers generally add a bit of head room. EG circuit worst-case current consumption might be 400ma but the most easily available psu might be 500ma.

So once you got those things right you just need to get the polarity right (ie which one of the two connectors on the plug is positive. It varies).
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 04 2008, 9:55 PM)

I noticed the retail on this device was considerably higher than the suggested retail for the POD...I am hoping this is because it is better, you get what you pay for kinda theory.

Yeah! Tell me about it. If only I waited a few months..... Never mind.

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 04 2008, 9:55 PM)

Got it. Now turning over that stone only reveals another worm!
I do not have a MIDI soundcard currently installed on the new Puter....
But there is a "MIDI" input and output on the M-audio interface....was wondering if that would work?

I could take a card out of another puter but my PCI slots are limited on that mother...and I'm already going to be using one for the firewire card.... :heart-break:

keep shinin'

Well I guess the first thing to say is that you don't have to control the J with the same PC that you are recording on. I sometimes control mine with my laptop but record on my DAW.

The M-audio card should be fine for midi.... or you could buy one of those mega cheap USB/Midi devices. I have one for controlling my Rocktron and it works just fine.

USB/MIDI interface. Shed loads on ebay. Can’t comment on how good they are but at this price it’s worth a punt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MID…iewItem

Will do boss man…

I needed a midi cable anyhow, since I have a keyboard as well and was wanting to try hooking it up that way…for kicks and giggles.

Hey since you spent so much time with this puppy maybe you could share some for your “patches” I believe you called them with me or are they patented MARK products with sole intellectual property rights?

keep shinin’

Sure. I’ll see what I’ve got. They do vary depending on what guitar you use.

The built-in patches are very usuable (which often isn’t the case with effect units as the built-in patches are supposed to make you go “wow” in the shop). I usually lose the reverb and delay from them so I can add my own back in later though.

Quote:

So once you got those things right you just need to get the polarity right (ie which one of the two connectors on the plug is positive. It varies).

That's certainly true for power supplies that output DC. In the case of the J-Station, it requires 9 Volts AC. No need to sweat polarity there as it changes 60 times a second in the USA! :)

D
Quote: (Diogenes @ Feb. 05 2008, 2:08 PM)

Quote:

That's certainly true for power supplies that output DC. In the case of the J-Station, it requires 9 Volts AC. No need to sweat polarity there as it changes 60 times a second in the USA! :)

D

Yes, you are correct for the J. Perhaps I should have noted that I was being a little more general.

We only get 50 times a second over here. Actually, shouldn't that be 120 and 100 changes per sec? My brain hurts. :-)

As long as I rock I don’t care many time a second it is! lol

I am using an Ibanez with humbuckers, and a Yamaha 12 String Acoustic. (along with a Peavey Jazz bass but don’t know if I need a bass pod for that or what…)

keep shinin’

Quote:

My brain hurts.

I hear you Mark... Since one cycle is defined as going from zero to positive, back through zero to negative and back to zero, it changes polarity 60 (or 50) times a second. That is any time the curve is above zero, it's positive and below zero it's negative. DC theory is a lot easier in many ways.

Great... now MY brain hurts... :O

D