USB 2 Vs USB 1

Whats the difference? Compatibility?

What’s the difference between USB 2 and USB 1?

I have a PC that is several years old (with USB), and I want to buy a USB device that is described as ‘USB 2’. Will it be compatible if my system is USB 1?

Thanks.

The main difference between USB 1+2 is the bandwidth - USB2 is supposed to be much higher than 1. I’d check your manual to see if you’ve got any USB2 ports. USB1 devices will work in a USB2 port, but I don’t know if it goes the other way.

Most USB 2 devises will function in a USB 1 port but they will not run at their full speed/bandwidth. If your computer operating system will support USB 2, I suggest you add an adaptor PCI card. USB 2 is Much, Much faster than USB 1. A PCI to USB 2 card is not very expensive compared to the results you will get.

USB 1 = MAX 12Mb/s
USB 2 = MAX 480Mb/s

USB 1 device WILL work in USB 2 port… but at 12Mb/s max.
USB 2 device WILL work in USB 1 port… but at 12Mb/s max.

Note that USB 2’s MAX 480Mb/s speed is BURST tranfser speed. NOT sustained speed. Most all FireWire 400 devices will smoke a USB 2 device in sustained throughput.

TG

Also, power supply from an USB2 PCI-card might be problematic. It might not put out enough juice. This is something to consider if you’re about to buy a device that draws power directly from the USB2 conection.

Bye now.

Quote (Iwont Tell @ July 25 2005,21:45)
Also, power supply from an USB2 PCI-card might be problematic. It might not put out enough juice. This is something to consider if you're about to buy a device that draws power directly from the USB2 conection.

Bye now.

Look for a quality PCI card with a power supply connector if USB needs to deliver the juice. They cost a little more but definitely will keep the USB buss powered stuff working.

TG