V6 latest build-AUX SEND/RETURNS WILL NOT SHOW UP

Man, this is getting old.

Now, the aux send/returns on tracks already recorded before I updated to the newest build show up on the tracks in the mixer. However, any NEW track I add, the send/returns DO NOT show up. Even if I click on the "view send/returns, they will disappear, and reappear on the old tracks, but not on any track I add after the update.

I have used N-track for 8 years, and have dealt with little bugs, and always felt it was a good product. However, the problems in the last 2 days, with out of sync tracks, and .sng file names being renamed resulting in lost projects, and now this…I’m thinking it may be time to check out Reaper.

Quote: (Toker41 @ Nov. 12 2009, 3:18 PM)

Man, this is getting old.

Now, the aux send/returns on tracks already recorded before I updated to the newest build show up on the tracks in the mixer.
However, any NEW track I add, the send/returns DO NOT show up. Even if I click on the "view send/returns, they will disappear, and reappear on the old tracks, but not on any track I add after the update.

I have used N-track for 8 years, and have dealt with little bugs, and always felt it was a good product.
However, the problems in the last 2 days, with out of sync tracks, and .sng file names being renamed resulting in lost projects, and now this....I'm thinking it may be time to check out Reaper.

Did you keep the old config when asked during the install of latest version? You can reset the global settings in preferences. Sometimes when going from one build to another you might run into a conflict with a previous old config. Resetting the global settings, in most cases, will correct any issues you might be having. Hope this helps,

Just side note: You can also just reinstall the latest version and just say no to the previous config, this will also reset everything.

PACO

The change in the way the AUX return is handled has caused quite a few head scratches - You now change the Output to setting of the individual tracks - I confess I still don’t know how to tell you how it works because I don’t use AUX much. However, there is a new Manual download (finally) and it does describe the way it works quite well. You might want to get that downloaded.
from the new manual - there is more but I think this may be a start:

"2.5. Audio effects and Signal processing

Realtime audio effects can be used from within the program in a number of ways:

· Tracks inserts

· Aux channels

· Group channels

· Master channels

· Live input processing

The track signal will be processed with inserts effects before being fed to the main mix. Up to 25 effects can be applied to each track. To apply a new effect click on the icon on the toolbar or click on an empty part of the track’s inserts effects list in the mixer window. To add an effect to the track simply select it from the effects drop down list.

To add an effect to an aux channel click on the icon and select the desired channel from the drop-down menu.

Each track signal can be sent to an aux channel using the track’s send controls, located below the list of inserts effects on the mixer window. The aux signal, made up of the mix of the signals of all tracks whose send controls are different from -Inf, will then be processed by the aux effects and then fed to the main mix as set by the return controls. This kind of effects processing is extremely useful for certain kind of effects, such as reverbs, delays etc. For example instead of applying a reverb to several tracks using inserts, the same result can be obtained by putting a reverb on an aux channel and then using the send control of each track and the aux return control to adjust the amount of reverb applied to the track.

Using the send automation (drawing the send evolution in the timeline) allows you to apply effects on only certain parts of a track, instead of applying them to the whole track, as happens with inserts, or to vary the amount of an effect during the course of a song.

At the end of the signal path, the master channel effects will process the signal resulting from the mixing of all the tracks and aux channels (aux channels can be optionally excluded from master channel effects, see aux channels settings). This is typically the place where you can play with EQ or compression and limiting to obtain a good volume impression without clipping.

Effects can be arranged in any combination and one single effect type can be repeated several times for a single track (for example you can add two separate echoes with different delay times).

To make some changes on a particular effect on a track, open the effects dialog box and select the desired effect on the track list box. The effect dialog box will appear and you will be able to make the desired changes.

You can exchange the order in which the effects are applied using the up and down arrows buttons.

When using effects, be aware that the program calculates them while the song is being played back, so the load on the computer processor increases quite heavily. On the other hand, all the adjustment you make are not destructive, and the track that the program processes isn't really modified, so you can experiment without having to worry to ruin the wav file and more importantly without having to wait for a wave editor to process the whole track.

You can make the changes permanent by destructively processing a track with the current track effects.

You can decrease the load on the CPU by Freezing tracks, instrument and group channels.

I understand how the sends work. The problem is that the sends are NOT showing under the effects window on the track mixer on any new track I add. They are only showing on the tracks I recorded before I updated. If I unclick show aux sends, they all disappear. However, when I click it again, the sends only show on the tracks recorded before I updated, and not on any new track.

k…After some email dialog with Flavio, I got it.

This is one of the issuses I have about ever updating this program. It’s kinda like Vista. To do the same thing you have done for years, you now have to take extra steps.

Quote: (Toker41 @ Nov. 12 2009, 5:53 PM)

k...After some email dialog with Flavio, I got it.

This is one of the issuses I have about ever updating this program.
It's kinda like Vista. To do the same thing you have done for years, you now have to take extra steps.

Did recover your work/tracks you thought took a left and died a horrible death, is everything OK now, just wondering.

PACO

It's kinda like Vista. To do the same thing you have done for years, you now have to take extra steps.

It's an extra step depending on the way you work. Previously you had to manually add an aux channel, and then aux sends would show up for all tracks.
Now you can just add a send to a track and it will automatically create an aux channel.
Even when the aux channel is already there, to send a track to an aux channel previously you had to move up the send slider which defaulted to -Inf. Now you just have to select 'Add new send' and the send slider defaults to 0 dB which means that the send will immediately be heard through the aux.

Tracks don't automatically have sends just because an aux channel exists. I think that that notion goes back to how hardware mixer worked. An hardware mixer can't create or destroy channels, aux sends knobs etc., while a software mixer can.
And now you can change the send destination which can now be any channel, i.e. you can send to another track, to a group channel, directly to a master channel etc.
And tracks that don't have sends will not show any aux send section at all in the mixer, which I think removes some clutter.

Flavio.
Quote:

Previously you had to manually add an aux channel, and then aux sends would show up for all tracks.

Actually in older versions I used there was no need for adding aux sends, because the program made as many aux sends in every recorded and old track that was set up in preferences.

Like in my case, two aux sends always. Only if needed a third send then I needed to add one.

There should be such option in prefrences.

Quote:

Now you can just add a send to a track and it will automatically create an aux channel

I don't see that very convenient. Typically a song has more tracks than aux channels so you'll have turn on more sliders this way.

Another nuisance is the new slider in master section to get auxes work. I can't see the point of it either.
Quote: (varakeef @ Nov. 13 2009, 3:49 AM)

Actually in older versions I used there was no need for adding aux sends, because the program made as many aux sends in every recorded and old track that was set up in preferences.

Like in my case, two aux sends always. Only if needed a third send then I needed to add one.

There should be such option in prefrences.

I don't see that very convenient. Typically a song has more tracks than aux channels so you'll have turn on more sliders this way.

Another nuisance is the new slider in master section to get auxes work. I can't see the point of it either.

What happened in previous versions is that the program remembered the number of aux channels that were used in the last song, and even when you created a new song the number of aux channels started at the last song's number, so if you always worked with 2 aux channels you never had to add them.
That's still the case, however now send sections appear only when the track/channel is actually send to an aux channel.

I agree that turning up a send slider is easier than selecting "add new send" from a popup menu, I'll to v6.0.7 add an option in the preferences to automatically add sends to all the current song aux channels for newly created tracks.
I won't make it on by default because I like the idea of limiting the visible send sections only to tracks that actually use them, and because it is more consistent with the fact that sends can now be used to send to other channels besides auxs.

The aux return slider in the master section has always been there, it defaults to -Inf and you always had to turn it up to make aux channels hearable.

Flavio.
Quote: (Paco572 @ Nov. 12 2009, 6:15 PM)

Did recover your work/tracks you thought took a left and died a horrible death, is everything OK now, just wondering.

PACO

Nope, lost. Different problem. Can't seem to fix that one.
Quote: (Toker41 @ Nov. 13 2009, 6:11 PM)

PACO

Nope, lost. Different problem.
Can't seem to fix that one.

If you didn't actually delete your tracks, then I would say they are still on your system somewhere. If want some ideas on how to locate them I would be willing to help.

PACO
Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Nov. 13 2009, 8:00 AM)

The aux return slider in the master section has always been there, it defaults to -Inf and you always had to turn it up to make aux channels hearable.

Aux return slider has always been there, but now in addition to that I have to turn one slider more up to hear the aux channel. This one in the master mixer. A send:

I can see the aux channel meters moving before that, but I only hear them after turning that up.
Quote: (varakeef @ Nov. 14 2009, 4:43 AM)

Aux return slider has always been there, but now in addition to that I have to turn one slider more up to hear the aux channel. This one in the master mixer. A send:
I can see the aux channel meters moving before that, but I only hear them after turning that up.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. The aux return slider is the one in the master mixer. Each master channel (you can have more than one when you have multiple outputs) has a set of return controls for each aux channel. This has not changed, it has been that way ever since aux channels were added. If you came straight from v3.x what has changed is that the master + aux mixer stripes now by default appear as vertical (i.e. with the master volume as a fader instead of as a knob) with the return section at the bottom of the stripe, while in older versions the master channel had the big volume knob and the aux return controls to the right of the master effects list.

Flavio.

I can see Flavio’s point. It is less clutter, and you are only adding sends to the tracks that you will actually use them on. Not sure yet which way I would prefer it. Makes sense both ways. Does effect my sense of balance, though, when looking at the mixer, as some of the tracks have a now longer mixer window than others due to some showing sends, and some not. May be one of those things that just takes getting use to.

Quote: (Paco572 @ Nov. 13 2009, 6:59 PM)

PACO

Nope, lost. Different problem.
Can't seem to fix that one.

If you didn't actually delete your tracks, then I would say they are still on your system somewhere. If want some ideas on how to locate them I would be willing to help.

PACO

The wave files are still there (all but 2 of them for some reason, but they were just an audio click. I can import them to a new project.
It's the .sng file that changed itself. Thus, the mix info is gone. I can just import that tracks, but it's 16 hours of mixing that is lost forever.
Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Nov. 14 2009, 9:16 AM)

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. The aux return slider is the one in the master mixer. Each master channel (you can have more than one when you have multiple outputs) has a set of return controls for each aux channel. This has not changed, it has been that way ever since aux channels were added.

This is what I mean:
- In the vs 4 I needed to use 2 sliders to hear what's going on in aux channels. One send slider in the track and one return slider in aux channel. Just like in conventional mixing board.

Now I need a third one to hear it:

This is something I can not understand. Why it seems to me that the aux send from the track has to go thru master channel aux send to be heard? (Not that it is a problem, I can turn it up)
Quote: (Toker41 @ Nov. 14 2009, 2:16 PM)

Quote: (Paco572 @ Nov. 13 2009, 6:59 PM)

This is one of the issuses I have about ever updating this program. It's kinda like Vista. To do the same thing you have done for years, you now have to take extra steps.

PACO

Nope, lost. Different problem. Can't seem to fix that one.

PACO

The wave files are still there (all but 2 of them for some reason, but they were just an audio click. I can import them to a new project. It's the .sng file that changed itself. Thus, the mix info is gone. I can just import that tracks, but it's 16 hours of mixing that is lost forever.

Well thats good news, thats better than holding a hand grenade with a lost pin.

PACO
Quote: (varakeef @ Nov. 14 2009, 4:32 PM)

This is something I can not understand. Why it seems to me that the aux send from the track has to go thru master channel aux send to be heard? (Not that it is a problem, I can turn it up)

It's not a master aux fader, it is the aux return fader.
You can verify that with the tooltip that appears leaving the mouse pointer over the fader for a couple of seconds.
The "2" fader on your v4.x screenshot corresponds to the "3" fader in the v6.x screenshot.
The "2" fader in the v6.x screenshot is a general volume fader of the aux channel (returns are per-master channel, i.e. if you have multiple masters you have multiple returns, while only one volume), and if you want you can safely ignore it, it defaults to 0 dB and you don't need to turn it up to hear the aux signal.

You can get the very same mixer layout in v6.x right clicking on the Track Mixer, and enabling "Show Master Channels", "Show Aux Channels", and "Layout/Horizontal Masters & Auxs".

Flavio.

Ok, now I think I get it. Thanks, Flavio!

Quote:

You can get the very same mixer layout in v6.x right clicking on the Track Mixer, and enabling “Show Master Channels”, “Show Aux Channels”, and “Layout/Horizontal Masters & Auxs”.

This is excellent!