Wall Fuzz? (electric problems)

after recording a number of tracks directly into my computer (guitar mics directly into sound card, etc) i had to record some vocals as well. I use a vocal mic that needs phantom power, and i have a pretty nice mixer that provides this so i set up the mic to the mixer, set the mixer to record out and plugged that output into the computer.

The setup is good, but i realized on the Recording VU-meter, there was a low signal and when i turned the sound up i realized there was a low humming static sound. After unplugging all the chords, i realized the fuzz is coming from the wall of my house. Even with the mixer’s power off, the only way to eliminate the static is to unplug the mixer.

So what im wondering is, is there any way to eliminate static coming from the house itself? something i can plug the mixer into that might eliminate the static?

Hi jasonporter16:
If you are connecting the mixer to the audio card of your computer, make sure you connect the mixer to the “LINE INPUT” of your audio card… NOT the Mic Input of you audio card… If you are still getting the interference you may have a faulty-or-incorrect audio cable…

Consider powering your computer and mixer from the same power source… That way you should eliminate “Ground Loops”…

Consider all that… Report back if you still have issues…

Bill…

RF interference can cause such problems. A faulty A/C cord can pick this up as well as older equipment. A line conditioner can help eliminate this.

Rackmount units available thru MF from $60 US and up. Here’s a link to some Furman units.

Furman

check for faulty earthing on mixer - check wiring in mains connector or swap for another - if mixer has a metal case lightly run the back of your hand over any bare metal or exposed screw heads - it you feel a slight drag or a tingle your house earth is faulty -

Dr J

Just out of curiosity, is the mixer powered by a separate “wall wart” or something like that? If so, and if the power supply is in close proximity with the mic cable, you’ll get the problem you are describing.

What kind of mixer is it? What model?

(DR Jackrabbit @ Aug. 04 2007,17:06)
check for faulty earthing on mixer - check wiring in mains connector or swap for another - if mixer has a metal case lightly run the back of your hand over any bare metal or exposed screw heads - it you feel a slight drag or a tingle your house earth is faulty -

Dr J

Sorry but I would NOT recommend testing for a faulty earth/ground like that unless you REALLY know what are doing. If the chassis is live, or partially live (as I have seen some mains filters do when not properly earthed) you could be in for a FATAL shock. Buy a mains tester plug, or better, a multimeter and learn how to use it.

No one has mentioned a ground-loop yet. Another possibility.

[Quuote]

Hi jasonporter16:
If you are connecting the mixer to the audio card of your computer, make sure you connect the mixer to the “LINE INPUT” of your audio card… NOT the Mic Input of you audio card… If you are still getting the interference you may have a faulty-or-incorrect audio cable…

Consider powering your computer and mixer from the same power source… That way you should eliminate “Ground Loops”…

Consider all that… Report back if you still have issues…

Bill…

I would say jasonporter16 has found the issue he had with his set-up… or… he has moved on or something…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Actually, that is a pretty standard practice of checking for faulty grounds and poorly connected audio-and-lighting racks on “live stages”…

I’ve heard of some close calls and spectacular shows when guys would touch the strings of their guitars with a grounded mic stand and the strings would burn off their guitars in a shower of blue sparks…

I’ve been-there-done-that…

What do you guys recommend to remedy a ground loop on a live stage? I’ve been using a 3-prong adapter. I know this is not the best idea considering the risk to equipment and the pyrotechnics show Bill describes above… Is there something that can be done that’s safer without spending big $?

Here’s a helpful link.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/dimmers.html

Funny story. After moving further out into the country last year, I went back to recording, only to find that my recordings (anything recording thru the mixer) now had a consistent “pop” in the recording. I could watch the meter jump about 20 db every second or so. I searched and searched for months. Finally, it dawned on me that I had the electric fence controller (it’s how we Texans keep our cattle in) on the same circuit as the PC and mixer. So, now when I’m ready to record, I just turn off the fence and voila! no pops! 'Course, I may let the cows out! ???

Hey… billthecat:
What a great story, there…

I’d be trying to find a way to incorporate that into some bed tracks on a song… There’s nothin like the real thing…

Bill…

Lol billthecat, if the cows start singing back-up vocals you know you’ve been in the studio a wee bit too long!

Bah, you could easily sacrifice a few cows for some decent takes. Where are your priorities, man? :)

Ha! Good story Bill… and one I can relate to. You remember the Weed-Whacker fence chargers? I think they out-lawed them around because of all the brush fires they started. Under “normal” conditions, you’d get the zzpop!.. zzpop! But if a big weed or twig fell on the fence and was damp enough to get a good path to ground… that sucker would ramp up the juice and it sounded like an alien invasion scene from War of the Worlds or something! Grrrnnnnaaaaaa…POW! Grrrnnnnnnnaaa…POW! :D

D

PS I have a cousin who would show us younger kids how “tough” he was by grabbing and holding onto an electric fence. Well, he was inadvertantly introduced to the neighboring farmers new Weed-Whacker one day… He held on for few seconds until Grrrnnnnnnnaaa…POW! and it threw him on his a$$. Of course, we quickly joined him on the ground but from rolling in laughter not PAIN! He was not the sharpest knife in the drawer…

There’s lots of stories around regarding those electric fence chargers… There was this road band that brought one in for me to have repaired… I was sure they used it on their stage somehow… It was on their truck and they wanted me to see if I could repair it for them… I don’t know how they used it on their stage… Anyway, I had a look at it… I didn’t know what was wrong with it… I suggested they spend the money and get another one… They might have used it ti trigger flash pots… or something… I can’t be sure of that… though…

Bill…

(HotDogWater @ Aug. 06 2007,07:18)
What do you guys recommend to remedy a ground loop on a live stage? I've been using a 3-prong adapter. I know this is not the best idea considering the risk to equipment and the pyrotechnics show Bill describes above... Is there something that can be done that's safer without spending big $?

Try one of these:

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

The Hum-X is a swell product… highly recommended. I wonder how it would handle a Weed-Whacker fence charger though? :p

D

Thanks Yaz, for the link - good education, and thanks Tom, for the HumX suggestion. I willl give that a shot!

(HotDogWater @ Aug. 08 2007,07:11)
Thanks Yaz, for the link - good education, and thanks Tom, for the HumX suggestion. I willl give that a shot!

It kills ground loop problems, but won't do anything for unshielded guitars as antennae, unfortunately...