What's the easiest way to record multiple tracks?

The “new” system for recording with multiple track interface seems unnecessarily complicated to me. What are the steps you use to record four to eight tracks at one time?

What is “new” system with multiple tracks interface?

I have always used method by adding tracks as I need them.
If I use a sound card that has 4/8 inputs I am able to add 4/8 tracks and arm them all by selecting proper input.
Better cards (firewire and some with USB 2.0, have no dropouts, but some do and that is another topic).

For most users, there is regular/ laptop or desktop build in card, with one line-in, you can record one stereo or arm two mono tracks at the same time.

click hammer on recording VU meter,

there you can chose which sources you want to record from.

on my particular set up (Mackie ONYX) I can select 1-9 (which is paired mono channels 1-18).

eg. If I select 1, that records channel 1 and 2, if I select all 9 that records all 18 channels at once.

dontcare :cool:

With version 7 just selecting the tracks in File>audio does not actually arm the tracks. Each track has to be created and armed individually. ThIs seems a bit complicated to me. There is a selection to arm all selected tracks , but I cannot get that to actually arm the tracks. If I dont arm the individual tracks ntrack records empty tracks. The vu meters are active, but no sound is recorded even though the vu module has there’d record button showing. Is this happening to anyone else?

I’ve never done it that way in any of the versions,
I just select the sources from the rec VU hammer and they automatically record to tracks when I press record.

I’ve never had to create tracks or arm them to record so that whole method is foreign to me, does seem like a lot of unesessary stuff to have to do.

if you click the little hammer on the main recording VU meter what do you see there?

dontcare
:cool:

Dontcare, I am using a version 7. It no longer has the hammer - setting are a “cog” icon as fas as I can tell. What verson are you using?

I found a little red dot on the main recording VU meter in 7 where the hammer used to be,

one of the options on that dot is “select all audio inputs to record to new tracks”.

have you tried that?

on a simple setting *(left and right only soundcard) that recorded selected both to record two new tracks I’m assuming the same would be done for however many inputs one has available but am yet unable to test it on my main computer.

dontcare
:cool:

If you have version 7 and a mulit track interface, try the record to all inputs. It does not work on my unit, however, I also can’t get the record left or record right to work. I think I may have a problem with my MOTU. I can only get it to,record when I add tracks in the left track window and arm each individually. I guess I may need to set up and record using another computer. Please check and see if "record to all " works.
Thanks,
Bax

Quote: (bax3 @ Nov. 04 2012, 1:24 PM)

If you have version 7 and a mulit track interface, try the record to all
inputs.
It does not
work on my unit, however, I also can't get the record left or record right to work.
I think I may have a problem with my MOTU.
I can only get it to,record when I add tracks in the left track window and arm each individually.
I guess I may need to set up and record using another computer.
Please check and see if "record to all " works.
Thanks,
Bax

sadly on my computer that I have the ONYX on I cannot get 7 to run. (too many pop ups at the beginning or something, I had the same problem with 5 till I disabled them)

It is working with red dot to "all audio inputs" to "record to new tracks" on my wife's Vista Compaq integrated audio (using Realtek HD audio Mic input), it records both left and right to two new tracks without having to insert tracks or arm them. If I go in and look both left and right have "checks" on them to record to new tracks even tho I never checked them individually.

it’s a long shot, but what is the bit rate the Motu is set at in Cuemix, and what bit rate is selected inside Ntrack?

eg. 16 bit, 24 bit.

I know one time I had the Onyx on 24bit (it’s default) and had a setting for 16bit inside Ntrack, nothing would happen when I wanted to record…