What do y'all think abou this?

Quote: (phoo @ May 15 2009, 8:10 AM)

I've heard this before and been sucked in before. Beware. Seriously.

Thx Phoo, this is definitely a red flag! I think I've come up with a way to call his bluff so to speak!
Quote: (Yaz @ May 15 2009, 8:59 AM)

(one man operation), and realized if he said it was black, then you knew it was really white.
I think he's in local government now.

Thx Yazer, you know he shopped me to Alligator which is possibly the largest blues label.
Which ironically was started with a one man operation. Also I know it takes unique individuals to make the music world work. For instance Bill Gram.

On the other hand if he is legit as a one man operation, it is possible that a little further down the line I could get left out to dry while he works a new juicy project.
I suppose that should be a clause of focus!?!
Quote: (TomS @ May 15 2009, 9:09 AM)

How could this guy do you harm?
You could give him yor credit card numbers.
You could agree to a minimal level of compensation regardless of how much money comes in.
You could agree to exclusive representation without him begin required to do anything.
Talk to his present and former clients.

If all he does is get you gigs and takes a cut, well, that's sounds pretty normal.

Ya those are my positive thoughts too!
In fact he told me to stop worrying about a bass player that he would take care of getting sidemen, that's his job and he has a vast database.
I thought huh? don't worry? You mean focus on my music only?
That would be different!
Actually have time to practice my parts? lol ya that does sound a little good to be true. Or maybe just a new way to look at things.

TomS that one comment you made confuses me a little. What did you mean by this: You could agree to exclusive representation without him begin required to do anything.
He said that he could tell that I've not had personal management by the worrisome comments I made to him.
He said: A bass player shouldn't be a concern to me.
He also said I have to start thinking like a successful artist.
:) Cool things to hear, I have to admit.
Quote: (nixon1972 @ May 14 2009, 7:51 PM)

I think that if you think about the money you would invest into it, if you lost it all would that change anything?, I'm just saying don't bet the farm but if you've have enough to spare, it's a better investment than anything on the stock market!

You've got the time, the adrenaline and the music will keep you going.

Yes I see nix you mean the invested money. I could probably spend more on a single date with Shania Twain in Baltimore lol.

Hi Levi - I haven’t heard your music (I am sure that you are talented) but that’s not the issue.
However, I have read about arrangements like this on other forums, and if your “manager” wants any kind of up-fron or reimbursement money from you, then he’s not legit.
It sounds to me like he’s asking you to pay for some of the studio time. If so, then he is being dishonest with you.
It’s fine for him to ask some percentage if he actually scores you some contract, but it’s not fine for him to charge you studio time for a demo in which he’s trying to push you because he thinks you have talent.

This is my advice to you - please take it however you wish.

Quote: (Mr Soul @ May 15 2009, 11:12 AM)

Hi Levi - I haven't heard your music (I am sure that you are talented) but that's not the issue.
However, I have read about arrangements like this on other forums, and if your "manager" wants any kind of up-fron or reimbursement money from you, then he's not legit.
It sounds to me like he's asking you to pay for some of the studio time. If so, then he is being dishonest with you.
It's fine for him to ask some percentage if he actually scores you some contract, but it's not fine for him to charge you studio time for a demo in which he's trying to push you because he thinks you have talent.

This is my advice to you - please take it however you wish.

Thx Mr Soul I appreciate your input and you bringing up a good point but aren't you thinking more of a partnership as apposed to Management/artist arrangement?
Lets say as a manager he didn't own a studio but felt some production and studio help was needed.
Would he then try to find me a good studio that would want up frunt money or one that would offer an option that we could work with?

Also he would be giving me the studio time at %50.
His rates are 75 per hr and charging me 35.

No - there’s no real difference as far as I am concerned. If this guy is trying to promote you, then you should NOT have to pay anything, including studio time at a discounted rate. IMO - this guy is just trying to drum up some business for his studio. But you do what you think is best for you.

Also Mr Soul what you are suggesting is that after we gig, after deducting expenses he would then get 20% of the remaining money. That would be a pretty sweet deal which might sound to good to be true. Yeah?

Quote: (Mr Soul @ May 15 2009, 11:49 AM)

No - there's no real difference as far as I am concerned.
If this guy is trying to promote you, then you should NOT have to pay anything, including studio time at a discounted rate.
IMO - this guy is just trying to drum up some business for his studio.
But you do what you think is best for you.

That is very possible and my main concern!
And here is why I think this:
He shopped me to Alligator Records who he says is a Major label.
And everyone would probably admit that they are indeed a Major.
However they list themselves as an indie label.
And he is an A&R rep for Alligator.

Another very interesting and obvious indicator that he's drumming up business is the simple fact that he stated Alligator passed on my music because of my vocals.
And he advertises himself as a recognized vocal coach.
However he thought Alligator missed on my vocals so who knows.
Unless he's taking a low key approach to set me up lol and at this point I'm asking my self am I thinking paranoid thoughts here?
Quote: (TomS @ May 15 2009, 9:09 AM)

How could this guy do you harm?
You could give him yor credit card numbers.
You could agree to a minimal level of compensation regardless of how much money comes in.
You could agree to exclusive representation without him begin required to do anything.
Talk to his present and former clients.

If all he does is get you gigs and takes a cut, well, that's sounds pretty normal.

I C Tom your being literal, I thought you where being facetious. Yes those things are not happening. ;)

Just bite the bullet old boy and go for it.

If he’s asking for you to pay for some studio time…as long as it’s very very cheap compared to the others then the the worst case scenario is that you got a professionally recorded demo for peanuts.

If he wants more money then ditch it.

Just do it. :agree:

Just my naive opinion of course, but that’s what I’d do.

Quote: (spreadercraig @ May 15 2009, 4:20 PM)

Just bite the bullet old boy and go for it.

If he's asking for you to pay for some studio time...as long as it's very very cheap compared to the others then the the worst case scenario is that you got a professionally recorded demo for peanuts.

If he wants more money then ditch it.

Just do it. :agree:

Just my naive opinion of course, but that's what I'd do.

Your opinions are always good Craig.
Just for the record we just finished another long phone conversation.
And interestingly he's asking for less to be re'recorded.
He seems to find the music tracks ok maybe needing a little tightening here and there but only concerned with the vocals.
He was ready to get moving on things but I stated no interest on my part with out a written signed agreement with a few basic points.
An arrangement for a specific amount of time and specific intent also showing a walk away clause, specifics on any studio costs being paid back so points and costs are not forgotten and or exaggerated months down the road, etc.
And like you say the worst that will come of it is a better produced demo and a new friend.

He's also willing to barter, me helping him establish an online page.
He's offered references that I can check out and he did all this with a great attitude.
So there is a good chance this will move into the next phase.

Remember too Levi - if you pay for recording - You own the “masters”!
Who owns the masters? will be one of the first questions asked by a legit label.

Good point Thomas! I suppose I’ll have to treat him to some KFC now and then tho :wink:

Folks that know the “going rate” for masters these days are gonna want more than a chicken bone. You might make a deal where he gets a cut of the master pickup by the label. The label will want to own the masters out right most likely - unless they do master leases.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ May 15 2009, 6:50 PM)

Folks that know the "going rate" for masters these days are gonna want more than a chicken bone. You might make a deal where he gets a cut of the master pickup by the label. The label will want to own the masters out right most likely - unless they do master leases.

Yea that could be good leverage. Good thinkin!
Quote:

he wants to polish up a 3 song demo with professional mastering, up grade photos, and bio.

Don't let him mess with your avatar photo. It's scary good !
Quote:

Actually, that might make a dandy album cover.

sort of a demonic phil collins. wait, that’s redundant.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ May 17 2009, 12:45 AM)

lol Thx 7' just took a candle, a dark room and a digi cam. Thinkin all ntrackers should have soothsayer avatars!