Why can't I have 2 separate apps open

simultaneously using ASIO driver?

When I attempt to have two different applications that use my M-Audio 2496 ASIO driver open at the same time, I get a message that says something like: “ASIO driver already in use by another application” when I attempt to open the second application. Does this mean the 2496 ASIO driver is not multi-client? Is there any way around this? Thanks.

ASIO can only be used by one app at a time. No way around that except that some apps ar eintelligent in that they will “release” the driver when they are not in the seleted window. I believe N track has an option for this if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Bubbagump. Well, I guess I won’t be upgrading to Audition 2 then. It’s ASIO now, but still won’t accept vsti’s. That means no way to run a softsynth inside or out and that’s uck fupped. Guess I’ll give n another shot.

Is it possible to pipe the audio from the standalone VSTi into your sequencer using Rewire, or Plogue Bidule into a spare Asio port, or something, and then only your sequencer needs to hold the Asio driver? ???

After all, you only need midi into your VSTi, not audio; and the audio output of your VSTi doesn’t need a soundcard driver if you’re only piping it to another application.

But I don’t know, I’m just stumbling in the dark here.

On earlier builds of n-Track I was unable to run more than one instance of n-Track at the same time…

On v5 builds I am now able to run at least two instances of n-Track… and minimizing one-or-both to the windows taskbar…

Is this (some-or-part) of what you guys are discussing ? here…

Bill…

Quote (Gizmo @ Sep. 27 2006,22:23)
Is it possible to pipe the audio from the standalone VSTi into your sequencer using Rewire, or Plogue Bidule into a spare Asio port, or something, and then only your sequencer needs to hold the Asio driver? ???

After all, you only need midi into your VSTi, not audio; and the audio output of your VSTi doesn't need a soundcard driver if you're only piping it to another application.

But I don't know, I'm just stumbling in the dark here.

That should work if you have a Rewire capable VSTi host.

In order to get the low latency, a driver has to be single-user – to avoid mixing which involves rebuffering. It sure would be nice to have a low-latency multi-user driver, but I don’t expect to see it any time soon.

Get a DAW that supports VSTi’s. It’s silly to use anything else, because they’re so convenient.

Of course, I recommend n-Track. :wink: