Why does saving .wav file double its size?

Saving .wav files

I was given a CD containing three 16000 KHz .wav tracks that I opened with Ntrack, eq’d and then saved. Now the tracks are twice their original size and I cannot burn them to a single CD. Is there a way to open and save .wav files without increasing their size?

Thanks.

Hi captainzeb:
I stand corrected… BUT… It almost sounds like you are saving those .wav files in something other than 16 bit@44.1khz. sample rate… Check the properties of those files to see what the bit/depth rate is…

Bill…

Were they originally mono and were they EQed and mixed down as stereo (that would exactly double them)? Are they still 16k sample rate? 1k to 48k would triple the size and going to 44.1k would be a bit over double size even if they are still moro. Any format conversions would change their sizes.

Quote: (phoo @ Nov. 12 2007, 3:48 PM)

Were they originally mono and were they EQed and mixed down as stereo (that would exactly double them)? Are they still 16k sample rate? 1k to 48k would triple the size and going to 44.1k would be a bit over double size even if they are still moro. Any format conversions would change their sizes.

You are correct! I opened mix down, clicked on 'more options' and noticed that I had selected stereo instead of mono. It is now saving in the expected size. Thanks a lot!