Working on This

Wireless LAN…

Hi Gents:

Somehow, I am missing the wireless LAN hardware and Connection concept/process of getting this to work…I have a link that I downloaded and printed that describes pretty close what I’d like to accomplish…
I think I’m missing the key piece of hardware to make this happen…
Here’s the link…

Wireless Networking
I think that is the link I looked at and want to emulate here…

Maybe, someone here can point me in a better direction to get me into a wireless LAN…

From what I see… I think I need a wireless “N” Router…
If that’s the missing HardWare Link I may as well be pointed in the right direction as opposed to get hardware that doesn’t do the job…

Can somebody post a block diagram (Hardware) of what I need to do to get this up-and-running?

At the moment…
I plug a CAT-5 Cable into the Modem to a NETWORK card on my P-111
Then I plug another CAT5 Cable into the DSL modem and I can see the browser on the second computer…
However, I am unable to see the computers on any one-or-any computer…
BUT…
That’s running CAT 5 wires…
Nothing on the use of the USB Wireless Transmitters-and-Receivers that I have on each of the computers…

Then again, the software setup is another issue…
ALL This is blowing right over my head…

Bill…

If you can run the cables, forget wireless. Hardwired connections are faster and more secure. But yeah… you need a wireless router. If you hardwire them you just need a hub/switch.

The neat thing about a router though, is you set it up to assign IP addresses using DHCP and set your PC’s to obtain an IP address automatically. The router connects to your DSL or Cable Modem, gets an IP address from your service provider and the router err… “routes” the other networked PC’s through that one IP to your provider. Make sense?

My setup is an eBlitzz wireless router connected to my cable modem. The eBlitzz has four CAT5 hardwire ports on it and my son connects via port 1 to his PC via Cat5 cable. Everybody else connects wirelessly. I have WEP (Wired Equivalency Privacy)this secures my wireless network from others who may be in range. They don’t have the WEP key, they don’t get in. I also use MAC (Media Access Control)tables. MAC is an identifier every ethernet capable device ever made has and it’s unique. Again, if your MAC identifier is not in my access table, you don’t get in. This works for wired or wireless connections.

Google around and do some reading Bill. Trust me, if I can setup a network… ANYBODY can setup a network.

D

PS Pretty good info here… this link is basically how I’m setup.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od…ram.htm

Thank you for the reply, DEAD CERTAIN:

I used to have a LinkSys Wired Hub/Switch with 3-or-4 machines connected together up until last spring…
Then I got a series of virus hits and I stopped maintaining the studio and setup… I’ve never had a Hi-Speed Internet connection, until last week…

I’m now in the process of constructing a seperate building for a studio…
I hope it will become a Tracking Room…
We’ll see…
it may become a Mixing and Mastering Room…
We’ll see…

Again…

You know…
until you track your first session in a new room you never know just what goes to ThE FiLe… I’m in the process of getting the room/studio wired so I can complete the Acoustic Conditioning…
Then winter set in and everything has come to a standstill until the weather gets better…
March Break is around the corner…
If I can get busy at the wiring then I’ll have a headstart at completing the wiring and getting-on with the insulation-and-all…
Then…
that’s the beginning of getting the audio hardware installed…

SO…
In that reagrd, that’s the only reason for running a wireless LAN System…
It’s not impossible to run a CAT 5 wire (could be
150-175 ft.) out there… But It wouldn’t be an easy chore…
I haven’t tossed that idea out the window…
So many things and conditions depend on one-another that if this setup comes together without a real plan I have in mind I’ll be one-lucky-bean…
I have my fingers and toes crossed that as-it-goes I’ll have a room that I can Track…With…

I am gonna take a peek at the link you posted and see if it will help me with my monumantal decission of recreating a workable LAN for what lies ahead of me…

You see…
I got used to Tracking and Editing and Mixing and All in more than one place…
I discovered that I had better productivity editing and putting tracks together outside of the studio enviroment and then returning the Tracks back to the studio to complete the task of getting the project assembled…
The LAN was perfect for doing all-that…
I hope to continue doing and working with that proceedure…

We’ll see…
Maybe, there’s alturnitive to all that…

Bill…

p.s. That looks like nice information on those pages to ponder and emulate… I’m considering an “N” router and USB terminals to each machine as being fast enough to stream tracks from one-machine-to-another… Is that something I should consider. ????

Back Again:

I’m able to view the Internet and the Drives, Folders and Files on the P-111 that are connected to the wired CAT 5 Hub/Switch on the Creation Station…
However, Viewing the Creation Station on the P-111 is Not Allowed…
OR…
is just One Way…
A screen appears on the P-111
saying I don’t have permission to use the network resourse…
OR view the creation from the P-111…

I’m writing this reply from the Creation Station…

I’l go to the P-111 and continue the thread from there…

Bill

Back Again…Again:

This is something I wouldn’t normally do…

I have the Fourm opened up on both the P-111 and the Creation Station…
The Internet is available on both machines…
The LAN is available on just the Creation Station…
It has VISTA installed as the Operating System…
The P-111 has XP and '98SE installed as the Operating Systems…
I am writing this thread/reply for the P-111/XP Desk…

This is the screen I see on this P-111 when I attempt to view the VISTA/Creation Station through the wired CAT 5 LAN setup…

I don’t have permission to view the Creation Station/VISTA Desk/Drives/Folders/Files through the LAN, on the P-111 Machine…

It comes down to…
I don’t know how to allow permission to view the Creation Station on the P-111…
through the LAN…

Is the issue on the XP Desk
????
OR…

On the VISTA Desk
????

Can one of you help me FIX the issue I have with this wired LAN…
?

This is the only outstanding issue with this setup…

Bill…