Yikes, the IT dept has hurt me

Get rid of screen-saver sign in?

Any computer guys out there? I use my work laptop as my DAW, but the IT dept decided we needed more security so they decided that if I connected to home-base, my computer now has a 10 minute delay before going into “Ctrl-alt-del” sign-on again screen-saver with password. the computer now goes into a lockdown that I can not change even the screensaver??( its been deleted from the menu) I searched on the internet, nothig worked. Not good for a DAW. But, I can sign in on another user.

Any ideas, other than sign in as a different user? I’m now signing in as a different user, how do I get to the old info, (located in "My documents, My music) without copying that info to the new user??

Any ideas welcome, I’m not the most computer savvy, especially when my IT dept starts deleting my options!!!

Chiller

If you log in as Administrator you should be able to see all the folders, but that might also kick in the screensaver…maybe.

That’s if the IT guys gave him the Administrator password (which they don’t do at my company).

That’s a good point. Without admin rights there’s probably not much that can be done. You need those rights to make some of the changes that would need to be done to undo what IT did.

As group “Users” you should be able to Right-Click on the desktop and get display properties. If not, they’ve futzed with the security policy. If so, you can update the screensaver settings for your user profile. If they’ve lashed it down so tight that you can’t update your own display properties, you’re sort-of-stuck, unless you can get someone to touch the mousepad every now and then…

.-=/gp=-.

Any ideas, other than sign in as a different user? I'm now signing in as a different user, how do I get to the old info, (located in "My documents, My music) without copying that info to the new user??

Browse your hard drive and locate something like "User profiles". It may be under the WinNT directory. There should be a folder there with your other profile as a folder name. Your stuff should be in there someplace. Make a shortcut and stick 'em on your "new" desktop".

HTH,

TG
Quote (gtr4him @ Feb. 14 2005,10:21)
Browse your hard drive and locate something like "User profiles". It may be under the WinNT directory.

Actually, in Win2k and XP, look in "Documents and Settings". All the profiles get stuffed in that directory.

Boot off a floppy and format c: /q /u /s

heh heh heh.

Quote (Willy @ Feb. 14 2005,12:50)
Boot off a floppy and format c: /q /u /s

heh heh heh.

Ooooohhh Willy, that ain't EVEN funny! :p :p

TG

Why not buy a 3 1/2" HD and swap it in and load your own O/S for home use. If it’s like my laptop it’s a 30 second job.