4.0.5 sucks even worse than earlier versions!!!

I’m persistent because I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT IT TO WORK!! The nTrack IDEA is GREAT - a low-cost easy to use and understand program that handles MIDI, AUDIO, VST, multitracking on a relatively low cost PC is exactly what I’m looking for. But despite my persistence, I have yet to get it working, so I continue to search for that Holy Grail.

Yep, something external to a PC is great. I got a good laugh out of the idea of a 50’s Japanese battery operated tape. However, my band has an Akai DPS-16 DAW that hasn’t failed to function perfectly once. What it does it does perfectly time after time without issue (which is what I expect from nTrack). The limitations relative to a PC-based software package like nTrack are obviously that it has no MIDI tracks or VST support, and of course it’s not quite as convenient as a PC-based program.

I’m a programmer. I’m sick and tired of the current set of software choices. Anyone interested in pooling talent to come up with a public domain open-source version of a package like nTrack? Email me at johnnyrocku@yahoo.com.

Maybe this has been touched on, maybe not… Please forgive me if this has been covered already: Are you running a dual-boot setup with one boot configured strictly for DAW work? By that I mean - tweaked per musicXP.net, all network access disabled, no other programs installed, etc… :cool:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m persistent because I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT IT TO WORK!! The nTrack IDEA is GREAT - a low-cost easy to use and understand program that handles MIDI, AUDIO, VST, multitracking on a relatively low cost PC is exactly what I’m looking for. But despite my persistence, I have yet to get it working, so I continue to search for that Holy Grail.

I couldn’t have said it better myself= especially the first two sentences.

For me 4 was going to be the holy grail and instead it turned out to be an irritation for me (maybe not for others). In these kinds of circumstances its probably best to put some distance between you and that program at a certain point. Its not giving up- just getting some perspective by putting some distance between the problem and yourself.

I was luck enough to get two free copies of Tracktion before they stopped the givaway. Most of my work is in N3 format and I planned my whole system around 4, but for now I use 3 sparingly and have fun on Tracktion. Its my way of waiting for the big release of the real v4. When it comes out I’ll be in a good mood and will quickly drop all the other programs I’m using in the meantime like Pro Tools Free. About PT, I have to admit its a lot better than what I though it would be- except it rarely functions properly on a PC. Its a good thing for Digidesign that its free! :angry:

no cents

Wow! What a thread…

Its got me thinking about best ways of keeping a “safe” version tucked away. I guess this has been discussed but what is the best way of having two versions accessible? ie say 3.3 tried and tested and also (in a different directory) 4.0.5 with all the unknowns.

I’m trying (see thread elsewhere) to upgrade to 4.0.5 but it isn’t working yet. Maybe I was lucky? But I’ve paid for the .5 upgrade cos I want 24 bit for my Omega (which works with bundled Cakewalk based Protracks plus, but which I do not like anything like as much as ntrk to use!).

A dual setup IS possible in 3.3…why do such a thing? One for 16 bit internal card use (its a laptop) when away from home and the other for the 24 bit usb box.

I’ve managed it somehow (renaming directories and reinstalling I think), but wonder what the “correct” way is. Anyone?

DD

Simply installing v3.3 and v4 in separate folders worked for me - you can even point both versions to the same VST folder for plug-ins etc. Problem was though that installing 4 cocked up all the toolbar icons in 3.3. No idea if that has been solved or not.

Plus, I haven’t done this since the .NET framework got involved, so YMMV.

Cheers,

Not sure if I should hijack this thread but I installed 4.0.5, it starts OK but if I exit the program or register it actually restarts my computer! Very annoying of course.

I’m using windows 2000, AMD 1400, delta 44

Jonny you may be reinventing the wheel - check out rosegarden, ardour & muse for linux

P.S. when I say restart I mean it is as if the reset button has been pressed on my computer. After the restart n-track won’t launch anymore ( i think Windows does some ‘repair’ to files during the scan that happens after a system reset occurs without shutting down properly) . So I try reinstalling n-track , it works again until I close it or register and the reset happens again. I have also installed a service pack that windows update identified for .net but that did not fix the problem.

Problems, problems…

When I upgraded to 24-bit v4, E-mu 1820 and a new Athlon Xp 2400+ processor, I got in all kinds of trouble. Most of that was incompability with the E-mu ASIO drivers. Eventhough sometimes the audio will still hang and loop, those problems are rather well sorted now with 4.05.

But I’m also having problems with the computer crashing. The computer actually reboots. BTW, I’m running WinXP Home.

I’m having some other programs crashing as well, but n-Track seems to be the only one that has the computer rebooting. Might be a hardware problem, might still be related to the audio drivers, or it might be a bug native to n-Track. Go figure.

It is not that frequent, so I can live with it for now, but I’m going to do complete re-install when I finally get my graduate studies done. Make some backup diskimages with different amounts of software installed and so forth. Don’t know what to try if that does not improve things. I’d hate to have to buy a new computer as my current one is fast enough. And if it’s n-Track not getting along with E-mu, I’m still screwed.

Still, I prefer using n and not Cubase 5.1 that was bundled with the E-mu card. N-Track is just so easy to use.

And yes, there are some fime open-source and freeware multitrackers out there, no need to make your own from scratch.

Bye now.

Hello JR,

Dont know if you are still reading this messages or not, but here is my two cents.

I totally understand your frustration. I do tech support for an e-commerce based company.

I have to agree with TimOBrien and his earlier comment.

Its been almost a month since you posted your original question.

My suggestion is that you clean your computer from scrash. BTW this is recommended by most manufactures at least once a year (not that most people do it anyways) I do it at least 2 or 3 times a year.

If this is not something you are going to be willing to do, my best advice is to discontinue trying as it WILL wear you out. Computers are that way. Sometimes you might fix it quicker by simply reseting it.

Back up your stuff, DONT INSTALL SPYWARE! make sure you dont have kazaa or non of that junk. If you dont think that makes a difference, you might be in for a surprise.

Anyhow, I hope you get your problems resolved and start recording.

I like N-track, specially the price, but hey, I’m looking forward to moving forward (if you know what I mean) as my financial situation gets better.

Well, I just wanted to add that my problems (computer crashing to hard boot) seems more and more to be hardware related, as the problems now have been occuring no matter what program is running. Ah, the infinite joys of home computing.

I think I’ll learn to play the guitar.

Drumming is more fun. You get to beat on things. :)

Whoa doggies, what the heck is this kinda thread without Flavio not jumping in?

We are talking computer code type of stuff here.