4.0.5 sucks even worse than earlier versions!!!

Hrm, it may simply be n-track does not play nice with whatever combination of stuff you have. Every piece of software seems to run into some mix of hardware that will freak it out. (Check Soanr or Steinberg forums) Without having your machine in hand, I am running low on ideas. Anyone else?

Punt.
:D

Not it!

JohnnyRock,

Could you try disabling your onboard audio/MIDI and see if that helps?

[FYI, I should also mention that it’s done in the BIOS setup, in case you didn’t know.]

Tony

I did disable onboard audio. Not quite sure how to disable onboard midi. I’ve got MidiYoke installed, and not sure how to disable that either. nTrack still crashes on exit.

OK a possible new clue. When I have Midi OX opened (NOT minimized, but NOT monitoring anything either), nTrack doesn’t crash on exit! If Midi OX is minimized, nTrack still crashes on exit. How screwy is that?? I hardly ever run Midi Ox (and don’t need to for other sw to work on my system), but was just trying different things.

Don’t know if this will help but here’s the backtrace from Visual C++ 6.0 when nTrack crashes on exit:
00191604()
USER32! 77d48734()
USER32! 77d48816()
USER32! 77d4b4c0()
USER32! 77d4b50c()
NTDLL! 7c90eae3()
USER32! 77d48816()
USER32! 77d4b4c0()
USER32! 77d4b50c()
NTDLL! 7c90eae3()
USER32! 77d608be()
USER32! 77d7f680()
NTRACK! 004d6a0d()
USER32! 77d48816()
USER32! 77d489cd()
USER32! 77d496c7()
NTRACK! 004bbf5a()
fb85e900()

I think the USER32! type things can be traced back to actual API calls somehow, but not certain.

Why you dont uninstall Midi-OX AND MIDIYOKE? You can install them later, and maybe your are isolating the problem. Be aware that Midi-OX and MIDIYOKE ARE DIFFRENT THINGS. One is a midi monitor, the other is a DRIVER. I have heard some problems about MIDIYOKE under XP, bubbagump has some info about it, i believe.

Here you can read about how to uninstall MIDIYOKE:
http://www.midiox.com/cgi…2654796

Marce, beat me to it! :)

I suggested disabling the onboard stuff because it sounded like N-track didn’t like one of your devices. It now sounds like that device could be MIDI Yoke/OX based on what you’ve found.

If you wanted to keep MIDI Yoke, then if you haven’t already, you should try making sure it is not selected/highlighted in N-track in the MIDI devices list (actually you should do that for all unused devices) I figure you probably have “Keep Devices Open” selected for MIDI as recommended for your keyboard, and so N-track might be doing something with the other devices even if you’re not actually using them (just a guess–no hard proof).

If de-selecting MIDI Yoke/OX doesn’t work, then I would try uninstalling it.

Tony

<!–QuoteBegin>

Fact is, all my hardware and drivers work with other programs which brings us right back to nTrack

Well ya know brother, if you’ve tried everything possible to solve your problems and tried again just to be sure and all the while everything else works, it is N.

I’ve been down that road before! Time to drop back and punt!

Stop tearing you’re hair out and drop back to the version that works best.

Thats the good/bad thing about N. There never really is a current version. There’s a gray area that extends about one version back. Inside that boundary its anybody’s guess, so some are way back and some way ahead.

Thats the way the Big F man works. He’ll get around to whatever is hiding in there. He’s like a sculptor- take a little off here, a little there, stand back and check it out and then take a little more off again. Every so often he comes across something that sticks out and surprises him even though people might have mentioned it. He then takes a little time and evaluates the error and removes it.

One thing I wonder about is if N has become a big convoluted mess of code or not. If so thats probably why it can work well for some and terrible for others. Some programs get like that- I think Cakewalk was one of them. It started out clean and simple but adding features made it feel kind of like things were loose and falling off. Thats what N4 is like on my computer.

no cents

nocents, no personal problem here, only try to save the rant for the end. I have in my system 20 Midi devices and 4 WMD audio ones, 4 ASIO others, MME, etc. Do maths and you will found how many possibilities you have to configure THE SAME proggie in diffrent (crashy) ways.

Johny, try to uninstall MIDIYOKE. You will not lost nothing, well a little of time, and maybe you found something. If in any moment you need a Virtual midi driver, you can install the Marble Maple midi drivers, that appear are more stable in some XP systems.

If you think you are the only that had some issues with midiyoke, look this forum:
http://www.midiox.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=myokent
cubase users, logic, etc… tweak an audio system require some patience.

marce?

No rant from me- just a suggestion that works for me and could work for JR. I use N3.x and save 15MB of space and the system works fine. The thing about 4 for me has been that even with a few (or just one) driver there are problems. In 3 I can run almost any number of devices. When 4 straightens out I’ll use it. I think there are some people still using 2!

About gobs of convoluted code in N- its seems that way to me but its just a guess.

Hey, take off that wool hat- its May! You’re head is overheating and causing crashes. :D

no cents

Hey Johnny,
This was the same error message that I was getting a few months ago: Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000047,0x8051D1B8,0xF8B29A00,0x000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
*************************************** before

I had spent about a month and a half trying to continue woking with N and thinking that I could fix the prob in another 5 min, when infact 1 and 1/2 months passed. I was having so many problems I was getting nocents excited! :D I finally put a dollar figure on my time and decided to let the “geeky boys fix’it shop” deal with it. I was also having spyware issues.
Basically what they did to save my music was a repair instalation. (my origianl disk was missing or I would have done that myself)
I was back to work in a couple days on ntrack and seeing that ntrack 4.0.4 is as good for me anyday as 3.0.3.
Sorry that your having all that trouble, believe me, I know how your feeling! Good Luck!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey, take off that wool hat- its May! You’re head is overheating and causing crashes.

Southern hemisphere - Winter’s just starting !

:p :D :D :D

Johnny

For what it’s worth I had similar blue screens appearing a month or so ago which sounds like they were even worse than yours - my bios stopped recognising the hard drive and I had to (Forgive me here I’m no techy) reset it using Cntl-e,Contrl-f which sometimes worked sometimes didn’t.

Dell has been mentioned in this thread and my PC is a new Dell Dimension and to cut a v. long story short the problem was solved with a new sound driver (in fairness suggested by Dell support). My soundcard is a Creative Audigy 4 and since installing the new driver the problem has stopped.

Whether this works for you or not it’s great that you came back to the thread after your initial and understandable outburst. I totally understand your frustration - I want to produce music, not **** around with drivers - don’t give up! N is a good program.

Hywel

I did successfully disable and uninstall MidiYoke, but nTrack still crashes on exit. In fact, now it seems to crash much more often while doing things inside of nTrack. Even pressing Cancel on the Settings dialog after changing nothing whatsoever has crashed on me several times!! This wasn’t happening very often with MidiYoke installed. (it did happen occasionally).

Unfortunately, I’m already using the newest sound driver available for my system. I have the same problems even if I disable it anyway. Plus, that driver works fine in all other audio apps.

I seriously doubt that I need an OS repair since EVERY OTHER PIECE OF AUDIO/MIDI SOFTWARE I HAVE WORKS PROPERLY EXCEPT FOR nTrack, but I’ll at least look into doing that.

I think I’m gonna try to find a Version 3.x of nTrack (like nocent suggested) and (perhaps) save myself some grief. (And continue internalizing all that anger :angry:, frustration ??? , and disappointment :( regarding 4.x). Man, what inspiration for music! Now if I just had a way to record it :p !!

Dmn!!! JR, I’d say you’ve definitely given version 4 more than a fair shot…I’d really be interested in seeing how 3.3 behaves. There are lots of other things to try, but trying 3.3 is as good as any. You can find 3.3 and some older N-track demo versions here.

If you want to try a couple more quick things before saying goodbye to 4.0x, though, here are two. Sorry to insult you if you’ve already tried them:
Revert to default settings in N-track and see if it helps
* Uninstall N-track 4.0 and .NET, then rename or delete the original N-track 4.0 installation folder, then reinstall both. Personally, I installed .NET using the redistributable installer direct from Microsoft instead of using the big N-track download, but they theoretically should be the same thing.

Tony

This problem happens with 4.0.4.1811 AND 4.0.5.xxxx? .NET wasn’t added until 4.0.5. I’ve had crashing problems on one machine with .5 (I have not tried 1843 yet on both machines) but not on another, and no problems with .4.1811 on either machines. That said the crash was not a blue screen, but was an unhandled exception in .NET when starting up the program after changing device preferences, exiting and restarting. I still don’t have any useful insight as to what the problem is, but it makes 4.0.5 unsuable on one machine (as I said I have not tried the later builds on that machine yet).

Installing .NET will not change any setting in apps like Netscape when it installed. That may be a symptom of something else, such as a hard drive error or some other hardware or software error interrupting writing to disk, causing data corruption when the installation was happening. (Same goes to installing n-Tracks…write a bunch or stuff to disk and it might have overwritten what was already there - one bit here - one bit there)

This could be a video or USB problem.

n-Tracks is a user mode application it may crash and burn at times, but a blue screen is a kernel mode crash. That’s a driver problem. The fact that n-Tracks is opening drivers is why n-Tracks seem to be causing the blue screen. n-Tracks is using the driver when it crashes. User mode apps can not cause blue screen but they sure can get drivers to do it, and if a driver can be made to blue screen from a user mode app then the problem is in the driver somewhere. Just because the problem doesn’t happen in other apps doesn’t get them off the hook and doesn’t put n-Tracks in the hot seat. When you see a blue screen it’s a drivers fault.

Don’t assume it’s an audio driver problem. All hardware devices use drivers to make the transition from user to kernel to user mode. That’s what their job is. It’s also their job to not blue screen no matter what the app does.

.NET will add a new user account which will kick in the login screen since where were was one account to log in there is another new one. Windows should do that any time a new account it added, other wise there is no way for anyone to log on using the new account. It should be trivial to get windows to auto log in again without having to delete any account. There should be a Windows Power Toy out there to help set this.

FYI TANGENT: Dell’s support for the Audigy 2 is minimal. They include an OEM version of the card that has features that are in the full retail version disabled, like MIDI input. One of my machines at work is a Dell with included Audigy 2 (the one I’m typing on right now). I had problems with it at first (MAJOR problems) and went to Dell’s customer support with the machine code to look for updates - Dell’s website has a l list of the hardware that came in this machine stored on line so it’s easy to find updates for it. There were a few that solved most problems (ultimately it was a multi-mon problem with a second card I added later, and Windows Update video drivers don’t support multimon with the model cards I’m using). But, the audio driver support pointed me to Creative’s site - Dell has none. I got the latest Creative full retail drivers, but MIDI input didn’t kick in because the card is OEM - built to Dell’s specs. Quite often this situation is the reason drivers need to come from where ever the card cam from. Too bad Dell doesn’t mention anything about no MIDI input and Creative mentions it as if it works for all Audigy 2 cards. I pulled the Dell card and put in a full retail version of the same thing and I’m a happy camper – MIDI works like it should.

That’s irrelevant to this thread though, and probably isn’t that useful. :)

Quote (nocents @ May 10 2005,20:37)
marce?

No rant from me- just a suggestion that works for me and could work for JR. I use N3.x and save 15MB of space and the system works fine. The thing about 4 ...
no cents

Sorry if i bad interpreted you. Peace... Anyway rants are welcome time to time... ;)

With the countless discussions posted here…yes, many with issues, most minor I believe, and the hundreds of helpful responses…it is a pity that a connection could not be bridged that N-Track does indeed function properly for many. It is very sad, that any encounter that is difficult, must soley be the responsibility of the product.

I think the only alternative for Johnnyrock is an early 50s portable recording device: plug in, hit the record button…yipeeeeee! Oh, darn the batteries…oh no, my mic wasn’t plugged all the way in…dang, I didn’t turn the volume up enough…“These Japanese electronic devices are worthless too…nothing works!”

Quote (syn707 @ May 12 2005,00:34)
I think the only alternative for Johnnyrock is an early 50s portable recording device: plug in, hit the record button...yipeeeeee! Oh, darn the batteries....oh no, my mic wasn't plugged all the way in....dang, I didn't turn the volume up enough..."These Japanese electronic devices are worthless too....nothing works!"

I hope you're kidding, yes? JR has been pretty persistant in trying to get to the root of his problem.

<!–QuoteBegin>

With the countless discussions posted here…yes, many with issues, most minor I believe, and the hundreds of helpful responses…it is a pity that a connection could not be bridged that N-Track does indeed function properly for many. It is very sad, that any encounter that is difficult, must soley be the responsibility of the product.I think the only alternative for Johnnyrock is an early 50s portable recording device: plug in, hit the record button…yipeeeeee! Oh, darn the batteries…oh no, my mic wasn’t plugged all the way in…dang, I didn’t turn the volume up enough…"These Japanese electronic devices are worthless too…nothing works!"

Hey marce! No problem- not your bad. Just as an example, the above quote is definately a rant w/sarcasm.

What are you doing with so many midi devices? Are they all controllers?

Peace out
no cents