amp modeler

what to buy

Can any fellow ntrackers recommend a good amp modeler or stomp box for recording direct. I’m going for a good thick crunchy sound but versatility in tones and effects is important. using an ibanez lp jr. I have $150.00 in the new toys account. :)

Check out eBay for the Johnson J Station. More than likely it will be used as they were discontinued by the company. They are built tough as the casing is metal. If you have any EQ to place prior to your soundcard, it will improve the overall tone.

Robert

thanks I’ll check that out,why is so much good stuff discontinued!

I use a Line6 POD (old mk. I thing - never bothered to get it upgraded to mk. II) for recording electric guitar and electric bass guitar, but I recently bought a Behringer BDI 21 for bass recordings - sounds better than the POD - on bass, that is.

To get that ‘crunchy’ sound, though, you could probably try out any overdrive pedal out there…

regards, Nils

POD on guitar and a KORG BASS Amp modeler for DIing a bass.

I use a Zoom 505 mkII (for guitar), which I use for guitar and bass. It was really cheap, around £60, and I think you can probably get it for the same amount in $.

It’s probably not as good as the Pod (from what I’ve heard others say of how good the Pod is), but it does have some reasonable tones and amp sounds. Many of the presets you get with it aren’t that good (crazy flanging noises etc), so I removed all those and filled them up with many variations on basic valve amp guitar sounds, not too much distortion etc, plus some settings for bass. It’s great for recording direct as it also includes noise reduction (for hum etc) plus a compressor setting which I always leave on (great for recording bass).

JW

I like Digitech products. I have the RP 200, which I like very much. I think there’s a more modern replacement. Very flexible, lots of modelling options, great effects, stereo output. I think Digitech products have a better sound than Zoom.
Cheers
TB.

Here’s a thought, how about posting a few riffs,chords, chunks etc. with your favorite amp modeler, stomp box, kind of a shootout between gadgets.

obie -

I use two things: PODXTPro rack unit which runs about $700 new. I also use Native Instruments Guitar Rig VSTi plugin which is the most killer software solution in my opinion…the amp/cab emulations are dead-on. With your budget, I’d sugest a softsynth modeler-plugin solution such as either Amplitube or refx-Slayer which will both give you good results.

Don’t know if this is what you want, but I had one of these, and it works like a charm.

(Pure analogue, but it does what it says it does - and very well)

Tech 21 Sansamp GT2

Maybe go and testdrive one if a local store stock it ?

Guitar -> GT2 -> Mixer/PA

W.

Korg Pandora. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Sounds great.

TG

PS It will fit IN a shirt pocket too…

GuitarPort if you want something on the computer.

I second the SansAmp. I’ve got bassdriver DI and I use it for my bass and guitar directing into my soundcard. Sounds great.

Quote (Obie @ Oct. 17 2005,06:16)
Here’s a thought, how about posting a few riffs,chords, chunks etc. with your favorite amp modeler, stomp box, kind of a shootout between gadgets.

If you want hear a good variety of samples, check out this Web site. You may have to register, but it’s free and there’s other good threads and topics for guitar players.

Guitaristworks.com - Modelers & Amps Sound Bytes

Good call on that site.

FWIW, I tried out a Berry V-Tone head and quadbox the other day, very versatile, easy to use, sounded ok, maybe not a lot of grunt for a 100watt head though. I’ve got the GDI-21 ordered and should have it next week. If it’s anything like the Vtone (and it appears to be as it has the same switches and settings), then it will probably be a handy tool…

Good choice Willy. Although I settled on the J Station, Electronic Musician rated the V Tonen high in their amp modelers shootout several years ago.

If you happen to see an used Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine (or Crunch Master), go for it. They are no longer in production.

Actually, they’re no amp modellers as such, rather real all tube amplifiers with a real tube power amp (class AB, about half watt) with a power soak and a cabinet modeller to be used without a speaker.

<!–QuoteBegin>

If you happen to see an used Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine (or Crunch Master), go for it. They are no longer in production.

Their Red Box is a pretty good DI too - put it between the head and cab, and staright to the desk. The Berry Ultra GI is good in that aspect too.

Dude…Some people might turn their nose up at this, but you can get some outstanding sounds from the Behringer V-AMP 2. Some people think the POD is the only way to go, but for under $100, you will NOT be dissapointed.

2 cents,

Matt