Anyone else afraid of the new 5.x series?

Note : This post is intended to be affable.

Anyone looking forward to the 5.x series and going through the process of getting it ‘stable’ on your system? Or you just gonna say the #### with it and stick with your reliable 3.x or 4.x version? I guess it depends on what’s new in 5.x but I can’t really see what else he could possibly cram into this software. :)

I’m seriously thinking about either going back to buld 1846 or switching to Tracktion…

the latest version have just not been stable on my system…

Am I the only one that had to look up the meaning of ‘affable’ ?

:p :p :D

English is my 2nd language …

W.

I may upgrade from 4.x to 3.x :D

5.x can’t be worse than 4.x

<!–QuoteBegin>

Nope, I googled it and came up with an actual site called www.affable.com - an Australian company. We don’t use that term much here in Canada - must be a “down under” term. Cheers :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyone looking forward to the 5.x series and going through the process of getting it ‘stable’ on your system?

I am. I love doing this stuff.

If you are working on a project that isn’t finished then don’t grab ANY beta versions or updates. If your install is working and you’re happy with it then don’t upgrade. Upgrade when you see that a bug that you need fixed is in that upgrade.

I’m really looking forward to V5. I loved V2, V3, and V4…including the betas in between, even when they wouldn’t run or crashed. It was easy to revert, and I never ran into a problem that messed up a current in-the-works project…except once. I forgot an saved over a V3 song file with an early V4. That was my fault since V4 was brand new and quite unstable at the time.

There’s been a lot of suggestions for new features and there’s been a lot if desire for more stability. Let’s see what’s in V5.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyone looking forward to the 5.x series and going through the process of getting it ‘stable’ on your system? Or you just gonna say the #### with it and stick with your reliable 3.x or 4.x version? I guess it depends on what’s new in 5.x but I can’t really see what else he could possibly cram into this software.

That’s a really good question and it has broader implications than just nTrack.

I’m on 4.0.5 and so far so good. One of these days I’m going to move up to 4.2.1 but if that version is stable it may be hard to justify upgrading again. I can’t think of another feature that I really want but maybe Flavio will come up with more “must have” stuff. Once he put in the freeze function I was happy as a pig in slop.

I’m happily using Word and Excel 2000, Photoshop 6, InDesign 1.5, Quickbooks 2002, and a bunch of other programs that are several versions behind. My computers at work are all running quite nicely on Windows ME (I’m running XP at home). I have no need or desire to upgrade any of these programs. As for Windows XP, I can’t really see what a new operating system can do for me. At some point in the next year or so I think I will upgrade my two home computers to newer technology and settle in for a long ride with XP and the program versions I’m now using.

The problem with this is that developers like Flavio have to earn a living somehow. I can’t believe that this program costs so little and I’m more than pleased to pay an additional $25 or so each year to Flavio to keep the program current and supported. For that reason I may very well continue on the upgrade path.

Eyup!

I actually feel guilty because I’m still on 3.3 :D

Steve

Did I miss something? Why are we even talking about V5? V4 is still quite new.

Jeff

On the changes page Flavio has said that v5 will be relesed soon…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Note : This post is intended to be affable

<!–QuoteBegin>

English is my 2nd language …

English is my first language, and I had to look up the meaning of the word “post” :(

:D :D

Seriously, with all the good stuff (and changes) that Flavio added over the course of v4 I don’t know what can happen in v5.

The .net addon and the drum machine addition was a step that would not have surprised me if it was going along with a version increment.

I will be seriously watching the ‘What’s new’ page.

Hey Flavio, how about a little hint ?

W.

Btw - I’m also still on 3.3
:(

on the “whats new” page stands: FREE update for all who upgrade to version 4!?! so is it a free update for already registered owners of ver4 or not?
BTW: for all who have problems with ntrack4 should try out REAPER

and i hope the new version will have some more professional audio/editing/routing features. sidichain, grouping, outboard fx support, multitrack editing…

<!–QuoteBegin>

and i hope the new version will have some more professional audio/editing/routing features. sidichain, grouping, outboard fx support, multitrack editing…

Er, dunno much about the others, but groups have been in for years, I’ve got v3.3, but I’m fairly certain it was in earlier than that. Not sure what you mean by multitrack editing though - What shortcomings are there?

<!–QuoteBegin>
on the “whats new” page stands: FREE update for all who upgrade to version 4!?! so is it a free update for already registered owners of ver4 or not?
BTW: for all who have problems with ntrack4 should try out REAPER

It’s usually a free upgrade if you buy/upgrade to v4 between now and when v5 is released. If you brought V4 last year, you’ll have to pay for V5, but all the v4 upgrades are still free…

Willy.

oh, i meant editing groups ( i.e. all drumtracks get edited at once) multitrack editing is just like that editing more than one track at a time, doesn`t really work till now

<!–QuoteBegin>

oh, i meant editing groups ( i.e. all drumtracks get edited at once)

I still don’t quite follow - you can automate the volumes, pans and aux send/returns of groups - I’m not sure what else you would want to do? You can select multiple tracks and send it them out to a wav editor (is this what you mean? prefer to do it in Ntrack?).

Just as a quick Q - is the FAsoft compressor now part of the mixer channelstrip in V4?
Quote (Willy @ July 05 2006,09:26)

yes, but you can not edit(cut copy) all tracks that belong to a group.

yes i want to edit multiple tracks at one in ntrack!

and in v4 you can add ANY fx to the mixerchannel you want