anyone using automated fx parameters?

Hey all;

I’m trying to automate some track fx in a song and can’t get it to work. Here’s what I’m doing. I click that little volume envelope draw icon in the toolbar, go to the bottom and select Effect Parameters. Then I pick an effect (say an EQ) and pick the Main parameter (which turns it off and on). I then draw the envelope in the timeline, but it seems no matter how the envelope looks, it has no effect on the EQ’s settings, i.e., the sound never changes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

First, not all effects will respond to the effects animation. Here is how to do it:
First select the effect and drag it into the effects box of the track you want to change with the effect.

Go to the Wedge shaped icon that you used to open the volume envelope - select the down arrow that is just to the right side of the icon and menu opens that includes the Effects perimeter setting box.

Select the effect in the left panel of the box. In the right panel select what part of the effect you want to animate. If you want to automate more than one effect or feature of an effect a new line will be drawn for each envelope line on the lines(tracks) below the first one - if you are changing several settings you may have to write them down in order to keep thinks straight . These envelope line(s) are in the order of the changes - they occur over the top of tracks, but they are only related to the effect Not the track. So, track one will show the line envelope for the changes you ask for on line one of the effects animation box.
The color for volume line and effect line are different and only one envelope typoe can be displayed at a time.
HOpe this helps,
Bax

Hmmm…

That sounds pretty much like what I’m doing already. Maybe the fx I’ve tried don’t respond to automation. In the interest of insuring that I’m actually doing what I’m supposed to, do you know of any fx that do work for sure? Do the nTrack fx?

Thanks

Follow the link on how to post a bug report, then post a bugger :agree:

I had the same problem. Could not apply n-track echo just to the last 2 secs of the track. I guess that being a built in track effect it should go but no…
Is this really a bug or we are just to clumsy forum members?

I have seen a bit of this.
Also, On playback, n-track does not always play to the exact end of the song.
Under Preferences, I am set to Stop Playback at end of song.
I have found that I need to record an empty track that goes beyond the end of the song for several seconds.
Then on playback I hear the very end of the song, along with any fading echo or verb I might have applied.

I put in a bug report and Flavio pointed out that you need to hit the ‘play’ icon next to the volume in the master channel for this to work. I did that and everything was fine, although I haven’t tried something near the end of a song like that.

Maybe you should put in a bug report too.

I can’t figure this out. I cannot find anything labled PLAY in the master track/channel. The only play I see is on the transport.
(An icon showing me confused goes here)
Bax

Sorry for taking so long to reply Bax. I’ve had some video/comp issues to deal with. I don’t have nTrack 6 yet, and my trial version has expired (before I got a chance to mess with it much), but I’m sure it’s similar to v4.

My mixer window has 3 EQ knobs just under the master fx window (just to the right of the master volume knob). Next to the 3rd knob is that little settings hammer, then a little play icon (right pointing triangle) and a record icon (little circle). You have to hit the play icon and that enables fx parameter automation. Flavio actually sent me an email about it, but I can’t find it - hopefully I haven’t deleted it. In any case, try that out, and if you can’t get it working I’ll do a serious search for the email.

While we’re on the subject of Effect Automation, does anyone know how to automate the turning on/off of effects? Doesn’t seem to be a parameter!

:)
F

I guess it depends on the plugin, but most of mine have on/off as a parameter choice in some form or other. My Kjaerhaus ones have a Main paramater which turns the whole thing on, for instance.

I would check the plug itself.

Quote: (tempus @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:20 PM)

you need to hit the 'play' icon next to the volume in the master channel for this to work.

Tempus, there is only one play button on nTrack and it isn't next to the master volume fader. Could you pls explain this a little more?
Thx

The manual says to use this method:
Appling an Effect to Specific Parts of a Recording

Suppose you want the echo to be applied only to the final part of the second solo. We can obtain this using aux send (or return) automation:

·

Add a new Aux channel selecting the Add new Aux channel command from the Add Channel menu (you don't need to do this if the song already has an aux channel)

·

click on the volume
button on the toolbar and select “Draw send to aux 1 volume” from the drop-down menu.

·

select the part where you don't want the echo to be heard, holding down the Ctrl key and dragging with the mouse on the track

·

click on the
button on the timeline: you'll see that the line that represent the send volume evolution will be set to 0 (-Inf) for the duration of the selection. This means that no signal will be sent to the aux channel during that time

Start the playback and hear how the transition sounds (to start the playback at a certain point simply double click on the time axis). If it sounds too sharp, you may soften it substituting the abrupt step in the volume evolution with a short fade-in: by clicking and dragging on the volume evolution you'll be able to shape it at your convenience.

4 things come into play.
1… you add the aux channel and add the effect there.
2… you use the aux send on the track you want the effect, to set the send level to the aux channel.
3… you will have to eq, fade and level the aux track when mixing.
4… you will have to raise the aux volume fader on the master track to hear it.
That should get you started.
I don’t know why the effects parameter dialog box doesn’t include aux tracks.
I suppose they might show up on the list after you add them?.
This is the first time I’ve tried this method.
I like it!
Much better than adding another wav part to an additional single track for that purpose.

Flavio I can’t thank you enough for fixing the noids! thank you thank you thank you!!!

Quote: (tempus @ Dec. 10 2009, 12:47 PM)

Hey all;

I'm trying to automate some track fx in a song and can't get it to work. Here's what I'm doing. I click that little volume envelope draw icon in the toolbar, go to the bottom and select Effect Parameters. Then I pick an effect (say an EQ) and pick the Main parameter (which turns it off and on). I then draw the envelope in the timeline, but it seems no matter how the envelope looks, it has no effect on the EQ's settings, i.e., the sound never changes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I'm wondering if you can set the parameters to play the effect differently at different points on the time line this way? Why else would you even have this tool?

Hi Levi;

Are you having trouble using the Aux effects automation? When doing that, I just automate the send lvl to that Aux channel, as per the description from the manual.
What I was trying to do was to automate fx parameters from a Channel insert effect, specifically, an EQ. I wanted to change the EQ settings of 1 track in different parts of the song. An Aux channel EQ obviously wouldn’t suit this application, so I was looking for a way to get the automation happening this way. I got it worked out anyway.

Are you still having trouble?

Thanks

Quote:

you need to hit the 'play' icon next to the volume in the master channel for this to work.

This confuses me. I don't see anything like such an icon there (anymore in vs 6), but I have a hounting feeling that we have had this discussion earlier.

So right now I can't automate any effect parameters.

Yes there was such a triangle in vs 4:

... but where it is now?

(Ignore the numbers and arrows)

Varakeef? Don’t ever remember seeing a play button there, or shaped like a triangle.

Tempus; No I’m not havening any problems thx, I’m testing this feature. Trying to be helpful.