BAD lyrics...

Thought it would be funny to list what you consider the worst SINGLE line in a lyric. Just one.

Mine would go to that self-decribed poet in the sky, Jim Morrison.

"I woke up this morning and got myself a beer"

you CANNOT write a line like that and still call yourself a poet, in my opinion!

Much less take yourself nearly as seriously as he did…
Reminds me of my favorite line from the movie “Almost Famous:”

“Jim Morrison? He’s a drunken buffoon”

I’ll play devil’s advocate on your selection. Great poetry doesn’t need to be pretentious or artsy. Sometimes a concise narrative phrase can be extremely evocative and effective.

Now the line(s) I hate would be the entire lyrics to “What if God Was One of Us.”

"… just a slob like one of us" makes me wretch nearly everytime I hear it.

I knew people would…somehow he is mythic to peeps of that era.

"… just a slob like one of us" makes me wretch nearly everytime I hear it.

Great one!

The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

Great lyric - Clark :p ???

yikes.

“this is the end” indeed

Wasn’t that another Morrison song?!?

I didn’t like the Doors that much back when they were a band (aside from Light My Fire which I saw on the Ed Sullivan show) but now when I hear their stuff on the radio - it’s great!

Did you see the movie The Doors?

In regards to the lyric you quoted, it’s not great taken out of context but in the song, Roadhouse Blues, it works very well, as do the other lyrics - don’t you think?

Toker,

I think it works fine in that song, I just find that to be an abysmal song…

I never quite got the whole pseudo-lounge, psuedo-blues, pseudo-rock mix they had going on…

Another bad lyric, a little more current:

"let’s get to the point, let’s roll another joint…"

wow. genius, Mr. Petty. Genius.

Jim Morrison: Any lyrics he recorded while sitting on the toilet in the studio should probably be on the list.

I need to think a little - nothing sticks out immediately. This is rock-n-roll. Finding truly bad lyrics is like looking for fly droppings in a field of cow pies. :D

phoo,

true, dat. I guess some just stick for me…

"abra abracadabra, I’m gonna reach out and grab ya…"

ugh

I never quite got the whole pseudo-lounge, psuedo-blues, pseudo-rock mix they had going on...
Seriously, Roadhouse Blues was one of the most straight-forward blues/rock songs that they did?!?!

Now "The End" - that's another story.

Break On Through to the Other Side!!! Clark - you're not a child of the 60's so you're not gonna get it.

guess not.

The shavin’ razor’s cold, and it stings.
(What other kind of razor IS there?)
-The Monkeys

Electrically they keep the baseball score.
(Uh huh.)
-Sonny and Cher

(What other kind of razor IS there?)

Well, I shave in the shower under hot water....

wow Pete! Obscure, for me at least, AND bad! you win so far!

Let's plug a bomb in everyone's arse
If they don't keep us alive

Accept - "Balls to the Wall"

Accept! I remember when I was a little kid, they were in the magazine for Peavy gear and I thought they were just the coolest thing ever. Oh, to be 8 again or whatever I was…

I’ve said this lots of times before but I still haven’t seen worse than David Coverdale’s Whitesnake stuff. Every word on every album sucks.
- I’m a lovehunter baby, sneakin’ up on you ?? Yuk ! And that’s one his better moments…
Totally moronic.

We built this city
We built this city on rock and roll
Built this city
We built this city on rock and roll

It's just another Sunday in a tired old street
Police have got the choke hold oh and we just lost the beat

Who counts the money underneath the bar
Who rides the wrecking ball into our guitars
Don't tell us you need us 'cos we're just simple fools
Looking for America crawling through your schools

Oops, one single line, should have read the instructions. Okay, I'll go with the simple refrain;

Built this city, We built this city on rock and rooooollllll

No one is mentioning …“I’m too sexy for my cat…” etc.

Pick a line any line (from that song)! You win! …a great big puppy! And a scooper tooper! Now go home and hide your slippers and spread the news.