Best general free reverb VST/DX

Advice from you experts required…

Hi,

I am new to n-track version 4. I previously used ver 3.2, and at that time I found freeverbToo to be a better general verb than the build-in n-track one. Is this still the case? or has the n-track one improved.

The reason I ask is that reverb included with version 4 seems pretty good to me with lots of sparkle for vocals, but it could be my ears are getting old :slight_smile:

Any thoughts?

Nick

Don’t know about the comparison (I’m still on Ntrack 3.3), but the reverb from http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php is quite good. I find that I use the classic plugins the most for ease of use and sound quality

W.

What Wihan said…I use the classic series almost excusively although I have others (mda)…

cliff
:cool:

SIR Reverb is great. Grab some good impulse files from Noisevault.com and you are in convolution reverb heaven. For free.

D

Two additions to the list i like:
Ambience fully functional demo without time limits
and
AriesVerb you will have some fun with this one.

The kjaerhaus Classic series is good, but I’ll throw in a pitch for Glaceverb and Anwida Reverb Lite. Both of these are excellent and have many, many good presets and as well as many adjustable parameters.

But NOTHING beats SIR. At least not anywhere near the price. :)

I think that’s like asking, "What’s the best guitar?"

It really depends on your purpose and tastes.

I really like n-Track Reverb, and the ones listed above are great too. SIR is definitely worth looking into, but it can become a real time killer, searching for the holy grail impulse files.

Note that to get any stereo reverb to actually work in stereo as a plugin on a mono track, you have to remember to check “expand mono track to stereo”. If it’s on an aux or group or a track with a stereo wave file, this isn’t necessary. And learn to use the left & right controls on n-Track plugins to get the benefit (or pick “Ambience 2” for starters).

:cool:

I use ambience when I can. Glace I found just too dense, and Classic is a great starting place…

ho hum :)

DSP

I’m an SIR fan for sure… but LearJeff is right. The reverb included with n-Track is nothing to scoff at. I use it quite a bit myself. The only niggle with SIR (or ANY convolution reverb for that matter…) is pretty heavy CPU usage. Definitely use SIR in an Aux if you can and only run the one instance.

D

Hate to sound dumb,but how do you import an outside effect? I have been using n tracks but want to experiment. I dl the classic series but do not know how to bring it into ntrk.
Thanks

It’s pretty simple. If you’re downloading a VST plugin (and I think most of these are), then you just put it in n-Track’s “VSTPlugins” directory. The next time N scans for plugins it’ll find them and you’ll be good to go. To force a scan, open up the Preferences dialog, click on Paths, and check “Next time do a complete scan”. Then n-Track will scan for plugins the next time you pull up the plugins box.

If you’re using a DirectX plugin (which is what n-Track’s plugins are), it should come with an installer which will register it so that programs such as N can use it.

Have fun!

chuck

SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR!!!

http://knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

!!!

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves; if you dont have great reverb then you are not playing to your best.

I’ve always played my guitar off of walls around the house.

NOW, think of it, play your intrument out the back of the house down into the trees. Sounds like shit, right? Yep, that’s where reverb sticks it’s noisey head in. Very simple, No reverb.

play the guitar into a “reverb” room(echo), or stand in front of a concrete wall (striated) by 2 feet, now you have real reverb.

Reverb is nothing more than sound bounce (echo) and makes it sound so much better…but controllable with digital.

The sir impulses are the best I’ve seen, if you need help let us know.

chiller

Quote (ksdb @ Feb. 15 2006,13:46)
The kjaerhaus Classic series is good, but I’ll throw in a pitch for Glaceverb and Anwida Reverb Lite. Both of these are excellent and have many, many good presets and as well as many adjustable parameters.

Hey, glace is pretty cool! Thanks for that link! :)

For a very nice sounding freeware reverb that works great on most songs for me, I use RGC Reverb. It is no longer offered at the rgcaudio website, but I found it at http://www.freesoundeditor.com/incagen…tm~main

By the way, that page includes links to 51 reverbs and delays. That will keep you busy trying them out!

Quote (vivona @ Feb. 16 2006,08:35)
For a very nice sounding freeware reverb that works great on most songs for me, I use RGC Reverb. It is no longer offered at the rgcaudio website, but I found it at http://www.freesoundeditor.com/incagen....tm~main

By the way, that page includes links to 51 reverbs and delays. That will keep you busy trying them out!

Another great link - thanks!

:)

Thanks Aikan for the help. I moved it to n trk easily

rock, rock on!

chuck