Big Math

The ‘kids’ that your talking about are us, people my age, ‘baby boomers’. We are already in that scenario. You can be assured if the economy continues like it presently is, a lot of those so called ‘kids’ that you are referring to, might never have a chance to even exist. I say spread the good cheer around with conditions or a program in place to protect against more of what your talking about!
We need stimuli.

I would point out that nearly all the money from those Bush rebate checks we got ended up in China and Korea - you know, those folks who actually make things like TVs. So direct payments to consumers is likely to be a cash bonanza for some Maoists but do very little for the US.

I say: infrastructure development. Did great things for us back in the 40s and 50s.

Quote:

I say: infrastructure development.

Right. The jobs created may not last very long relatively speaking, but the benefits would last a very, very long time.

Handing Betty Sue Taxpayer a rebate check for a thousand bucks means she's gonna get a new Chinese TV, a North Korean made dress and a manicure. A small portion of the 35 dollar manicure money will stay in the US... maybe...

Oh... man... I wanna preach... but I ain't got time. You lucky devils! :laugh:

D3

Thank you Lord!

Well since Dub/DC/BamaDude ain’t got time . . . .

I DO!

Here’s one for starters, NC government wants to tax internet downloads, this includes ring tones, music, software and more. The budget has taken a big shortfall, so taxing us for stupid stuff will make it right. Doesn’t matter all the textile jobs have gone overseas, or unemployment is at an all time high here due to this. We’ll just tax what few citizens in the state lucky enough to have a job. Open some new Walmarts and sell some more china crap!

MAKE"S SENSE TO ME!

Can ya tell I’m pissed! :agree:

Quote: (TomS @ Feb. 03 2009, 2:49 PM)

I would point out that nearly all the money from those Bush rebate checks we got ended up in China and Korea - you know, those folks who actually make things like TVs.
So direct payments to consumers is likely to be a cash bonanza for some Maoists but do very little for the US.

I say: infrastructure development.
Did great things for us back in the 40s and 50s.

Yep that's true Thomas but apparently we want things made and distributed to us at prices we can afford.
Most of 'us' are merchants now.
And we don't put items in our shops (no matter where they are made) to sit on the shelves, but to move as products to the consumer.
Cash flow my good friend.
The merchant then has money
to hire clerks and spread a little more cash flow where ever he shops because he has made sales and profits.
The hustle and bussel of prosperity.

Why couldn’t we do something like PW and I are joking about.
Spread it around to us little guys who need money to spend money.
I mean we can’t take a loan, how would we pay it back during a time like this?

How about spreading some around to us, and in return develop business solely for the purpose of creating profits to pay back the debt.
Using highly successful retirees who give services (say from home computer based hobies) in exchange for benefits.
Hey I’m just shootin out ideas lookin for some interesting thought provoking replies.
Thanks for yours, you made me think a little deeper.
No argument here, only searching for new ways, new ideas.
:agree:

You’ve got to remember that the jobs that have gone overseas are jobs that we don’t want to do anyway.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Feb. 02 2009, 11:16 AM)

not true D - the top 10% of households could be taxed enough to pay this in one year. They would be broke after that but we'd be out of debt!

:agree:
Quote:

You've got to remember that the jobs that have gone overseas are jobs that we don't want to do anyway.

I know a S#$TLOAD of people who would disagree with that.

D
Quote: (DEAD CERTAIN @ Feb. 04 2009, 7:00 AM)

Quote:

You've got to remember that the jobs that have gone overseas are jobs that we don't want to do anyway.

I know a S#$TLOAD of people who would disagree with that.

D

Amen to that D!

I was born in Fort Payne, AL about 12 miles from where I grew up. Fort Payne was once hailed as “The Sock Capital of the World” because of the huge number of hosiery mills. Well, thanks to NAFTA and the softening of other business regulations, “Big Sock Corp” squashed and/or bought up all the mills and… you guessed it… shipped ‘em overseas. Mostly Honduras. Thousands upon thousands now out of work with little to no prospect of anything else. There are few other industries there. Most businesses that were there were support services for the mills. These places didn’t pay a fortune by any stretch, but these people had jobs and were making a decent living. The cost of living in the area was relatively low and they had a “decent” lifestyle going for them. Now… nuttin’…

Would they take those “menial jobs” back if offered? Darn tootin’! The same is true of all the clothing factories throughout the area that have been shuttered and moved to Mexico, Honduras, etc… Everyone in my family has been hit and hit hard by this trend which began when “The Great” (sic) President Clintoon and his administration’s policies started kicking in. Ross Perot was EXACTLY right about that “great sucking noise” in more ways than one.

Sermon over -

D

Didn’t see them exporting their rocket, weapons systems, or other military
industrial complex jobs over seas. Why not Chinese made nukes and GPS
smart bombs? Or Filipino made cruise missles? Or nuke subs made in India?
That would have saved - big bucks. Hundai tanks anyone?

Quote:

Why not Chinese made nukes and GPS
smart bombs?

They can do it! Are doing it but not for resale to the USA. Clintoon and his fellow morons let 'em steal the technology from us... :disagree:

D

Levi, it’s not an either/or.
We need a good manufacturing base and retail.
Retail without good manufacturing base is just a way to export money to other places.

Kevin Phillips wrote a great book a year or two ago, comparing the “financialization” of the USA economy with that of England at the end of their run as first among world powers, and before that, Spain.
The basic lesson: if you stop making stuff, you will end up with a few rich people living off investments, a lower standard of living overall, and a shrinking middle class.
Germany learned this lesson, BTW, and use gov’t power in a strategically astute way to maintain a good balance of manufacturing with other economic sectors.

Thing is, politicians know this, esp. conservative politicians - or should know it - but those particular folks have been so rabidly anti-labor and ideologically anti-gov’t intervention in matters economic that they have succeeded in killing our economy.
Oh, and worrying about how to sell their party on the basis of racism, sexism, xenophobia, and end times religion.
But there is blame to go around. Clinton surely screwed up big time with NAFTA.
Why the heck did he do that, anyway?
Moron.

I suspect I’m a bit more left that nearly everyone here, but just put me and Zay and Dead C and Poppa and you too Levi and whoever else in charge, and we’ll fix things quick.
Because we’re honest people with a high regard for the truth.
:D

Addendum - Zay - I am so mad about this - in a way I would not have been before having kids…

Quote:

I suspect I'm a bit more left that nearly everyone here, but just put me and Zay and Dead C and Poppa and you too Levi and whoever else in charge, and we'll fix things quick. Because we're honest people with a high regard for the truth.

I'd vote for "US".

D

Harumph! :agree:

Now that some of you have vented, wined and moaned and cleared your hearts and minds of that.
Maybe now you can come up with some new and fresh creative ideas :laugh:

We don’t need new ideas (not meaning to sound in opposition) the ideas to turn it around are time tested and true. We just need to get back on track as a nation.