can I record from mic input?

I am very interested in using this software but my laptop only has a mic in and headphone out. Is there a way to record my guitar through the mic input?

Some laptop models are actually mic/line in disquise - check your windows volume mixer for options if any.

Or post your make and model and some poor bored soul can look it up for you. (not me)

I’ve been able to record using Windows sound recorder and it sounds fine, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get N-track to record anything from the mic in. this is my laptop: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/BladeK8F/1013913Rsp2.shtml

Can you afford one of the inexpensive USB interfaces?
They even get this simple:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product…=330275

that sure would make things easier…

Couple dollars more:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product…=245507

Similar:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product…=270707

record in stereo:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product…=703092

and so on…

I’m not using a mic, I am recording from my POD, not an amp.

Oh, sorry.

no worries, I wish I could record from my amp but the woman would beat me (again) if I cranked it up loud enough to get my tone. So I’m forced to use amp modeling to record.

Quote: (Rocks @ Dec. 30 2008, 4:17 PM)

no worries, I wish I could record from my amp but the woman would beat me (again) if I cranked it up loud enough to get my tone. So I'm forced to use amp modeling to record.

You would still be better served by an external interface. Even a cheapie (100 bux or so...) Tascam US-122 is MILES above a PC's built-in audio when it comes to quality of sound and versatility.

Something to thing about...

My Compaq laptop has a setup similar to your Gateway. It is all but useless except for messing with virtual instruments. My Tascam US-122 makes it into a portable recording powerhouse though. :agree:

D

PS Which POD do you have?

Its actually not a POD, its a POD clone, a Behringer V-amp model 2. I generally just call it a POD because as soon as I mention Berhinger the gear snobs turn up their nose and don’t bother to help. The V-amp does the job for me just fine for late night practice through headphones and it was priced right. I’d much rather spend my money on more tube amps, not modeling units so I got the V-amp and with the money I saved I was able to stock up on extra tubes for my real amps.

Don’t let `em get you down. The V-amp sounds pretty good if you ask me.

D

Quote: (Dubious @ Dec. 30 2008, 4:58 PM)

Don't let `em get you down. The V-amp sounds pretty good if you ask me.

D

get me down? nope, never. Just because I choose to save money on the modeling doesn't mean I did the same with my real amps. Frankly I don't like modeling of any form (unless its Victoria's secret models!)I have a nice collection of vintage Fenders, Vox and a couple Marshall's. Now you can see why I can't crank them at home to record.

Oh God. A Behringer V-amp model 2. I’m out of here.

Seriously, don’t know nothing about it, but that has never stopped me
before.
I got a Dell lappy, and it records from the mic pretty darn good.
After all, it’s just an input. I assume the V-amp has a out-to-1/8" jack
you can just plug into the mic input? The problem (and it’s small)
is a Hi-Z device (guitar or whatever) into a Lo-Z input(mic), tends to
roll off the low freq’s. See:

Impedance faq

Other than that - shouldn’t be a problem.

Was there something you had to adjust in the settings to get it to use the mic input? I’ve looked all over and can’t find anything to tell the track to record from the mic input.

If you don’t know about the V-amp, its basically a POD clone, sells new for under $100 and has lots of good amp models and effects. I’m running from the headphone out of the v-amp into the mic input. When I test using Windows Sound recorder it records perfectly, but N-Track doesn’t record anything, it doesn’t even show that it “hears” any sound.

I’ve found Behringer to be some great tools myself - I own two of their mixers - the UB 802’s are great for home recording.

How about a power soak for the real amps? Low volume recording works really well, if you ask me. Won’t bother anyone - my kids are asleep when I do it, often enough. Of course, the significant person in my life is half deaf from orchestral playing anyway, and likes things louder than I do…

But then I’d need to buy a mic and a power soak. IS there any settings in N-Track that allow me to choose the input device?

Take a look at this recording tutorial on n-Track 6.

Recording with n-Track 6

This should show you all you need to know.

Quote: (Rocks @ Dec. 30 2008, 5:49 PM)

But then I'd need to buy a mic and a power soak. IS there any settings in N-Track that allow me to choose the input device?

Yeah, but you'd get to use those nice amps! :)

I got a cheap power soak at a garage sale, believe it or not. Don't use it b/c the amps I've been using have them built in, or are otherwise useful at low volumes.

Piece of cake.

And there’s that elusive “create new take when overdubbing” choice - I was wondering where that was!