Deep throat was a hero!

Mike,

Let me ask you this, because I have never heard anyone address it and I wasn’t born when this all happened. If Woodhead and Bernstain hadn’t stumbled across this and been “investigative journalists” and if America didn’t find out and Nixon “got away with it,” what difference would it have made to your life exactly? I mean day to day difference?

thanks.

Clark, our government only works if everyone is accountable. Everyone is subject to the same laws. The alternative is totalitarianism. You don’t want to walk down that road. History demonstrates that it is very easy for a lazy populace ot give too much power to a leader, and the results have never, ever, not one single time, been good.

If you don’t care about living in a totalitarian state, then OK, no problem. But that’s one slippery slope history teaches us we need to avoid like the plague.

Not sure you answered my question, but ok…

Here’s a little bit of background on how this whole affair was initially uncovered. The initial court appearance involving the burglers at Watergate got Ben Bradleys ear when he learned that these guys had a high power lawyer provided for their their defense. So he sent Woodward and or Bernstein to that first court appearance and Apparently it was a little incongruous for some simpleton burglers to have a power gov’t lawyer provided, and the rest as they say is history. CYA doesn’t always pan out.

Cheers
Cruiser :blues:

<!–QuoteBegin>

If Woodhead and Bernstain hadn’t stumbled across this and been “investigative journalists” and if America didn’t find out and Nixon “got away with it,” what difference would it have made to your life exactly?

Tom answered this for me.

Clarke - you had to live through the Vietnam war & Nixon to understand fully. Watergate affected me because it made me realize that I shouldn’t trust our government & blindly follow it. It also made me suspicous of Republicans who seemed to be largely in bed with huge corporations. I still believe that to this day.

Don’t get me wrong - there are plenty of corrupt Democrat’s also, but in general, I think the Democrat’s have made this country better. That’s obviously where you & I disagree. However, I’m betting on history being on my side.

IMO it was becuase of Watergate, that Clinton got impeached. It was payback for Nixon.
Quote (Mr Soul @ June 02 2005,12:21)
If Woodhead and Bernstain hadn't stumbled across this and been "investigative journalists" and if America didn't find out and Nixon "got away with it," what difference would it have made to your life exactly?

Tom answered this for me.

Clarke - you had to live through the Vietnam war & Nixon to understand fully. Watergate affected me because it made me realize that I shouldn't trust our government & blindly follow it. It also made me suspicous of Republican who seemed to be largely in bed with hugh corporations. I still believe that to this day.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of corrupt Democrat's also, but in general, I think the Democrat's have made this country better. That's obviously where you & I disagree. However, I'm betting on history being on my side.

IMO it was becuase of Watergate, that Clinton got impeached. It was payback for Nixon.
wow. glad I didn't live through that.

funny, why aren't my parents that paranoid? lack of dope in their lives, perhaps? ;)

You are indeed lucky my friend. +50,000 guys like you & I died in Vietnam for little to no good. This country was torn apart at it’s seams & there was alot of bad things & self-abuse happening (drugs, etc).

They ended the draft the year I turned 18 and my number was in the 200’s but I was preparing myself for what I would do if I got drafted - CO or move to Canada.

I still don’t trust the government. I think it’s corrupt and is screwing you & I to this day.

Quote (Mr Soul @ June 02 2005,12:36)
I still don't trust the government. I think it's corrupt and is screwing you & I to this day.

man, that has to be a tough way to live.

You bet!

How Mark Felt Became ‘Deep Throat’.

thank god I have never had a president who lied to the American people.

wait. scratch that. Apologies to the memory of Slick Willie.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/02/clinton/index.html

gee…lying about getting laid is a little different than lying about stealing elections…WMD’s, illegal wars of which vietnam was one and Iraq another. Just like V.N. Our boys are dying for nothing but Coprprate America that doesn’t have the balls to even pay their share of taxes, Or even treat the wounded with respect and care.

Cruiser

Sorry man, not when you lie to the Grand Jury. that cannot be dismissed.

I’m not dissmissing it but the severity and implications for the nation are galaxies apart.

<!–QuoteBegin>

thank god I have never had a president who lied to the American people

Clinton admitted his lie in the end, Nixon did not.

Was it conclusively proven that Clinton actually lied to the Grand Jury? I’m alittle foggy on the exact details on this. I thought he was skirting around lying but that he didn’t actually lie?

you just said he admitted he lied.

I’m talking about to the American people not the grand jury. And then in his apology he never actually said he lied.

He was accused of lying to the grand jury in the impeachment (not a real trial) but was he actually accused of lying? I think he was not.

Clarke - one question: if Ithe govenment spent $60 million and 5 years to find some dirt on you, would they find anything?

Quote (gtr4him @ June 01 2005,22:19)
Don’t get all red-eyed on me dude! (Whoops! Too late!) :D

Haha, that post wasn’t supposed to be as red-eyed as it looked.

I’d never hate on anyone because of their opinion. (Unless it was a really stupid opinion like “rape is good!” or “mass genocide rox!”)

I really don’t care too much whether or not Felt is considered a hero. I don’t think people should demonize him though, because that could discourage others from exposing corruption.

Quote (Mr Soul @ June 02 2005,16:13)
I’m talking about to the American people not the grand jury. And then in his apology he never actually said he lied.

He was accused of lying to the grand jury in the impeachment (not a real trial) but was he actually accused of lying? I think he was not.

Clarke - one question: if Ithe govenment spent $60 million and 5 years to find some dirt on you, would they find anything?

depends what the meaning of is is, I suppose…I mean if they asked “is the sky blue?” well, is it? or does it look blue? I mean, the dress was blue, but is the sky really blue?

What is the meaning of is? is?

You didn’t answer my question - would they find any dirt. Clarke - have you ever lied in your life - to your parents or to your wife or kids?

Also, it’s not fair to not put Clinton’s “is” statement in context.

Speaking of lies and presidents, at least Reagan didn’t have to lie. “I don’t recall” works just as well. He covered up his duplicity quite well. Gad, what a corrupt bunch the right is, nearly but not quite universally.

Anyway, it should have been something about the meaning of “sex” in Clinton’s case. :p