For Flavio, features request

Hello Flavio,

I have some features I’d like to see put into N-Track, please look at the picture to see the summary A,B,C,D,. I have 4 items listed in alphabetical order to match the picture.

First up, “A”: Fixing the EQ for better control

I’d like to see this for initial EQ settings, turning the little knobs is really difficult to match up with tracks that are in stereo (2 Tracks). I have taken advantage of the space to create more control with readouts of the EQ settings making it easier to match EQ settings from track to track.
-------------------------------------------
Next up “B”: Node editing

In windows, you can group select individual files by holding the control key down. In the picture you can see the highlight, I would like to be able to group select with the mouse or using the CTRL key to group individual nodes and then be able to right click and set the db for my group selections. Right now, group selecting the top row which is highlighted also selects the bottom row, so if I wanted to change the db for the top row, in this case increasing the volume on a bass track where the high notes were not heard good enough, I have to move each one, one at at time, which is extremely time consuming. This feature is needed to speed this process.
Next up “C”: RMS average ruler gauge

When mastering it’s important to set the RMS. This is the basic volume of your music and you want to make sure your final output volumes are the same from song to song. By adding this ruler and a (“Red meter area”) which can be slid back and forth along the ruler and also be sizable (Red Meter), this will aid in getting your music to fall within your predefined range. Right now I use a tooth brush which I place up on the monitor and use as a gauge. I’d like to see this.
Next up “D”: Track settings window

2 things here, first I’d like to be able to set the default size of the entire window. Right now if I resize this window (track settings window) and then shut it down, re-open it, it defaults to the size you see in the picture, very annoying.
Secondly, the EQ gives horizontal values, located in a little box under “Freq” knob for horizontal freq. I’d like to see an additional box, perhaps beside it that gives the vertical db values. Currently you can only see this values by placing your mouse directly under the marker on the frequency window which then pops up in the top right hand corner. Not great.

[IMG]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267…MG]

Well, that’s all I can think of right now, but these are things which would make things a little better and easier in my humble opinion.

Thanks
PACO

you need to fix the image link Paco. Or is it just me?

POINT A -
click on the icon next to the three little knobs to open the EQ panel there a gazillion possabilities in there - left and right click on everything you can see to open hidden menues -

POINT B -

hold down the SHIFT key - select tracks - click on envelope icon - envelopes on all slected tracks will respond together -

POINT C - SOFT CLIPPING IS ON BY DETAULT - therefore your volume settings do not apply as the LIMITER WILL ALWAYS AFFECT YOUR METERING turn it off to obtain REAL meter values - apart from that the three K meter settings are the nearest you will get to what you need and the K system is one of(if not the best) metering systems there is - this applies to the second part of POINT D - you need to click on everything in the EQ window -

M.R.

red meter scale - try this - RIGHT CLICK in the output VU meter - meter mode PEAK AND RMS - then SCALE - untick SHADED BACKGROUND - now RANGE click on K meter and select CUSTOM - then type in the RED/orange range you want -

M.R.

Quote: (Magic Rabbit @ Dec. 12 2008, 11:48 AM)

POINT A -
click on the icon next to the three little knobs to open the EQ panel there a gazillion possabilities in there - left and right click on everything you can see to open hidden menues -

POINT B -

POINT C - SOFT CLIPPING IS ON BY DETAULT - therefore your volume settings do not apply as the LIMITER WILL ALWAYS AFFECT YOUR METERING turn it off to obtain REAL meter values - apart from that the three K meter settings are the nearest you will get to what you need and the K system is one of(if not the best) metering systems there is - this applies to the second part of POINT D - you need to click on everything in the EQ window -

M.R.

And from your second post
--------

red meter scale - try this - RIGHT CLICK in the output VU meter - meter mode PEAK AND RMS - then SCALE - untick SHADED BACKGROUND - now RANGE click on K meter and select CUSTOM - then type in the RED/orange range you want -

M.R.-
--------

Point A

No to to be rude but I have searched these menus a gazillion times and there is no option to set the entire track settings window default size. Granted the scales and look of the data in windows can be changed but it's the ENTIRE WINDOW I'm looking to be able to set it's default size. In stead of having to resize this entire window over and over again. It's FULL SCREEN or default size and no option to set it in between, you must do this manually which is undone the minute you close it.

Point B

Again not to be rude but it's clear you didn't read my post very well, because if you did you would know that I already know that holding the shift key to select tracks, that was given and all envelopes will move together is precisely the point I'm trying to make. I don't all want the nodes selected, only the ones I choose. similar to to the way Windows works,

For example, Open folder, click first file, hold shift, select last file, now all files have been selected in between.

Another example hold the CTRL key select each file you want, skipping what ever file you want, only those files get selected and highlighted or group select with a mouse.

This is what I'd like to see be available in editing the nodes. I DON"T TO WANT TO SELECT THEM ALL and if you look at my picture more closely you can see I just want to be able to highlight only the top row, which happens to be the volume increases for a bass track. Group selecting this way is not possible in n-track and hence the reason fro my asking of this feature.

So unfortunately, your comments to hold down the SHIFT key - select tracks - click on envelope icon - envelopes on all selected tracks will respond together - carries little or no value and basically has nothing to do with the type of feature request I've made a request for.

Point C

Peaks were never my concern only RMS values
I understand, K metering and soft clipping, I was just looking for a ruler to replace my toothbrush to set my RMS values LOL!!
Your suggestion works for me however I would still would like to see a little ruler below it to help gauge. Thank you for the input.

PACO

i nade no reference to the windows size in point a - i am on dialup so downloading a picture is not possiblw due to the time it takes -

grouping nodes can be done - place the mouse cursor underneath a node (do not touch the node), leftclick and drag cursor below the nodes you want to group, when you have finished let go of the leftclick and the nodes the cursor passed under will react as one - that may be what you want -

M.R.

Quote: (Magic Rabbit @ Dec. 13 2008, 1:09 PM)

i nade no reference to the windows size in point a - i am on dialup so downloading a picture is not possiblw due to the time it takes -

grouping nodes can be done - place the mouse cursor underneath a node (do not touch the node), leftclick and drag cursor below the nodes you want to group, when you have finished let go of the leftclick and the nodes the cursor passed under will react as one - that may be what you want -

M.R.

Point A. Understood, a picture worth a thousand words as someone said a long time ago. No worries.

Now your suggestion for grouping nodes indeed works but the feature request is needed. If I do what you suggest it highlights the lower one too no matter what I do

For example: Below is a crude explanation where there are 4 nodes 1 thur 4. I want to be able to adjust the volume for nodes 2 and 3 only. If I try group selecting as you have suggested running my cursor below 2 and 3, nodes 1 and 4 will also get highlight no matter what I do.

-------1 4-------------0db
- -
- -
2----3
---------------------------------------------------------------
In this example it works as indicated by your suggestion. However please look at this.
If I group select 2 and 3 it's fine, 2 and 3 get selected but if I group select 1 and 4, 2 and 3 also get selected.
So you can see what I'm talking about. If the nodes are directly above each other, which in some cases is required editing nodes in this fashion is impossible. That's why the editing of the nodes needs to be improved. If you had downloaded my picture you would've seen exactly what I was talking about plus you've missed out the feature request on the track mixer which I edited in Adobe.

-------1 4--------------0db
- -
- -
2----3
---------------------------------------
Now it gets worse in this example. Like the above example it was possible to group select 2 and 3, however if I want to group the bottom row 2,3,6,7 nodes 4 and 5 get selected as well (that's the problem). My request is to be able to group top or bottom nodes via mouse grouping or by using the CTRL key like windows does to have selective possibilities, including selective group db editing, via right after selective/group selection is set to all selective highlighted nodes.

-------1 4--------5 8----------0db
- - - -
- - - -
2------3 6------7
------------------------------------------

I hope this gives the better understanding of what I'm requesting.

PACO

Repost to get the crude diagrams to better line up. Lost connection during the edit. Sorry for the repost.

Point A. Understood, a picture worth a thousand words as someone said a long time ago. No worries.

Now your suggestion for grouping nodes indeed works but the feature request is needed. If I do what you suggest it highlights the lower one too no matter what I do

For example: Below is a crude explanation where there are 4 nodes 1 thur 4. I want to be able to adjust the volume for nodes 2 and 3 only. If I try group selecting as you have suggested running my cursor below 2 and 3, nodes 1 and 4 will also get highlight no matter what I do.

------1 4-------------0db
- -
- -
2----3
---------------------------------------------------------------
In this example it works as indicated by your suggestion. However please look at this.
If I group select 2 and 3 it’s fine, 2 and 3 get selected but if I group select 1 and 4, 2 and 3 also get selected.
So you can see what I’m talking about. If the nodes are directly above each other, which in some cases is required editing nodes in this fashion is impossible. That’s why the editing of the nodes needs to be improved. If you had downloaded my picture you would’ve seen exactly what I was talking about plus you’ve missed out the feature request on the track mixer which I edited in Adobe.

------1 4--------------0db
- -
- -
2----3
---------------------------------------
Now it gets worse in this example. Like the above example it was possible to group select 2 and 3, however if I want to group the bottom row 2,3,6,7 nodes 4 and 5 get selected as well (that’s the problem). My request is to be able to group top or bottom nodes via mouse grouping or by using the CTRL key like windows does to have selective possibilities, including selective group db editing, via right after selective/group selection is set to all selective highlighted nodes.

------1 4-------5 8----------0db
- - - -
- - - -
2-----3 6-----7
------------------------------------------

I hope this gives the better understanding of what I’m requesting.

PACO

could you post a pic for the rest of us to see what exactly you are going for here?

Repost of image

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ntrackxp9.jpg

[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2004/ntrackxp9.jpg]
[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/ntrackxp9.jpg/1/w1280.png]

[IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301…MG]

Special note on my previous post "Via right"

should read “via right click”

Dam I wish the period for editing posts was longer…I should be able to edit my posts …Period…

PACO

I meant as regarding envelope drawing. sorry …

It’s there in the pic item "B"

PACO

thats better your description is better than the picture -

FIRST foe those who use automation and have not done this then - open PREFS/APPEARANCE/VOLUME ENVELOPE RANGE - SET NODE SIZE FROM 3 to 6 - now you can see ans use them easier -

if you put the mouse pointer as near to the node as you can without it selecting a new node and leftclick drag the pointer under the nodes you should see a faint line appear moving the mouse upwards turns the line into a box - this is the LASSO AREA, N should select ONLY what is within the box BUT ITS BROKEN - N is selecting nodes outside the box area thats why you cannot select just the lower nodes and leave the upper ones unselected -

this is the fault you have to report to Flavio -
when i draw a box around nodes with the LASSOO BOX in automation - when trying only to select the lower nodes on the automation envelope the upper nodes which are outside of the box are selected - N is selecting nodes outside the LASSO BOX area -

A BETTER OPTION would to request a HOLD DOWN SHIFT AND SELECT NODES option - holding down shift and selecting works on most things i sm surprised it does not work on NODES - it may just be a small bug thats easy to fix -

M.R.

Thanks Rabbit, just to add, if you hold down the ALT or CTRL the “draw volume line just disappears” until you release the key so these keys do have an effect (Vanish) on the volume/node editing.

By the way Rabbit my pic is less than a meg to download. If your interested.

PACO

1 meg = 10 minutes on dial up - your last description was excelent the way you presenred the problem was very good indeed - i have noticed the problem with the Ctrl and Alt keys - it could be that this was once some sort of switch that has gome wrong - press Ctrl to switch on envelopes press again to switch them off - but i cant remenber this being implimented - if it worked that way it would be quicker than mousing up to the toolbar everytime you want to make a quick adjustment - and ALT key could be used for the master volume or pan -

M.R.

Quote: (Paco572 @ Dec. 12 2008, 10:18 AM)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll comment on each one below:

A - I'd prefer to avoid adding too many numbers on the mixer, perhaps a way to manually entering the EQ boost would be enough. In the next version double clicking on an EQ knob will make a text box with the EQ boost setting appear, so that you can precisely adjust it without opening the EQ window

B - The next version will allow to select nodes which are not necessarily next to each other (currently the selection is basically a time range, so if a node is in the node selection range is selected, so you can't have "holes", i.e. unselected nodes between selected ones)

C - a ruler for the desired target meter range would be a nice feature.

D - I'll make the program remember the last size of the EQ settings window. As for the sign showing the band EQ setting, actually there is already such sign but the text color doesn't follow the skin setting and is always black, so you don't see it because you have changed the default background to an almost black color. You should see it in the default skin setting. The problem with the sing text color will be fixed in the next version.

By "next version" I generally mean v6.0.3 although some of the changes may have to wait v6.0.4 or .5

Flavio.

Looks like I have a loooong wait for midi clips (ver 6.2? I think you said?)

Sigh…

Version 6.0.3 won’t see the light before having MIDI clips, I promise…
Altough I may still get away by changing the program name and releasing v6.0.3 disguised as Track-n Studio 1.0 :cool:

Don’t be teasin’ me! :O