Garritan Perosnal Orch.

anyone here using it?

I splurged and got it this week. Played with it last night for about 3 hours. Ooolala. :)

I have had it for about a year now. The Christmas record I did last year I used GPO for.

That’s what we got it for - to add some strings and the like. What do you like / dislike about it?

Hrm, not much I don’t like really. The piano is absolutely the best sampled piano I think I have ever heard despite it being only 2 velocity layers. The resonance of the piano is VERY realistic. The woodwinds are top notch. Again, I don’t know of a better collection of double reeds or clarinets. The strings can take some getting used to, but they are great too. I dunno, I love it.

I gave the clarinets a workout, and I thought the realism of the solo clarinet (sorry, don’t recall the patch) was amazing. I really liked the “lush strings” for a quick string setting, and yes, the piano is something. The harpsichord is dead on, and the percussion in general is too. Lots to work with. :)

Here is one of the Christmas tracks I did using 100% Garritan. I mean, the woodwinds absolutely knock me over and the realism of the harp… dear lord. Just listen tot he “reedyness” of the winds. I mean, I hear real reeds vibrating there.

Woodwind Example

Here is one where I used more horns and strings. I love the harpsichord here too…

Full Orchestra Example

Amazing. Great singing too on the first. . Really great. That you? :)

What did you use for a sequencer? How much RAM in your computer?

No, not me singing. That is Kristi and one of her students. We do a trio around town at Christmas doing this stuff as well as an Italian set for the rest of the year.

I did the bulk of the sequencing in N honestly. I dumped MIDIs out a few times and messed with it in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for some really tweaky stuff. Cakewalk has notation editing, so for some of the bigger arrangements it helped to see a real score for working out harmonies. As for RAM, 1.25 GB.

I thought you knew I put this record out last year? Huh, well, come Christmas time again, I’ll have to post snippets. I still have 50 copies or so lying around…

Here are two more tunes that I have out on the web.

Piano example (that’s our very own Marce who sequenced the piano)
Another full orchestra example

Amazing what you can do with a few good vocalists in your living room and a sample library. I recorded all of the vocals in the dining room with my trusty SM7.

Halion and bunch of gigasamples. Here’s a nice freebie site…

http://www.worrasplace.com/

I guess I knew, Bubba, but there you go. :) Really a fabulous job. I played it for my Peabody trained wife and she agreed. :D

Love the sound of the SM7 too.

I will preach the SM7 forever. The easiest mic to get a great sound out of I have ever used.

And I am glad you liked the tracks. It was about a year of work to put the whole thing together. Luckily, the vocals were a two Saturday sort of thing. They nailed the vocals quickly… Keeping track of 30 MIDI tracks and making them do what you want for one tune is a bit more time consuming… :;):

Quote (Bubbagump @ Oct. 21 2005,08:33)
Keeping track of 30 MIDI tracks and making them do what you want for one tune is a bit more time consuming.... :;):

Still, its better than trying to keep track of 15-20 musicians, feeding, housing and PAYING them! :p

GPO don't talk back and stomp out of the room either I bet! :D

TG

Well, it does crash like you wouldn’t believe when you try to load 4 GB of samples with only 1.25 of RAM and disable disk streaming. :;):

Quote (Bubbagump @ Oct. 21 2005,10:26)
Well, it does crash like you wouldn't believe when you try to load 4 GB of samples with only 1.25 of RAM and disable disk streaming. :;):

Sounds like a headspace problem?

TG :laugh:
Quote (Bubbagump @ Oct. 21 2005,10:26)
Well, it does crash like you wouldn't believe when you try to load 4 GB of samples with only 1.25 of RAM and disable disk streaming. :;):

I've noticed that. At least it warns me that it is going to happen. :)

I’ve decided: the baroque organ kills.

Bubba, I can’t quite figure out the legato instructions. You understand them? I also can’t figure out how to assign the mod wheel to a midi track. Of course, I’m in Orion, so you prob. don’t know.

:)

It’s Friday and I’m still at work…SOOOOO…

If it ain’t baroque don’t mix it.

PLEASE SHOOT ME NOW - I WANNA GO HOME :)

Ar ar ar ar ar! :)

I am thinking very heavily of buying Garritan. How does it compare to East West Silver Symphonic? How does it compare to the gold edition of the same name? I own Silver and was seriously thinking of upgrading to Gold, but I have not been totally thrilled with some of the instrument samples. Is Garritan high quality? 16 bit or 24 bit? Let me know what you all think, as I intend to buy it this week. Thanks everyone.

Mike