Guess I'll say hi

introducing myself

My name is Lennie R., and I’m a Who fan. I hope I’m in the right place, as I need a 12-Step group for part-time musicians!

It’s been years since I’ve recorded anything. In fact, the last time I did any recording I was in college back in the 70s. I had a composition project for one of my classes and did one - take stereo (2 mics) shots as part of the grade. I flunked it! Some my fellow students hated it, some loved it. Fast forward to 2006. MY new wife is very supportive of my music and art pursuits, and buys me guitars. So far, she’s gotten me a Carvin C780 acoustic, a Kentucky mandolin, and a Mexican Fender Jazz. I’m shopping for a 12 string acoustic, a MIDI controller keyboard, and a Telecaster. One thing I want so bad I can taste it is a Yamaha wind controller. I started out playing clarinet in grammar school and played in high school and college orchestras, so I think I could run the wheels off a WX-5. You can tell I have a bad case of GAS. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

While waiting for all my blunders over registration issues to get sorted out I’ve been recording my bass and doing some loopy stuff. It all sounds like krazy krap, but it’s enough to impress me with what clean recorded sounds I can get. I also have been playing my acoustic with its electronics plugged directly into my Lexicon Omega. It sounds very accurate, which is unfortunate. :laugh: I don’t care for the recorded sound of piezo pickups alone on acoustic instruments. Since I have (n) tracks available to me, it should be fun to chase down a good acoustic guitar sound with 2-3 mics plus the pickup. But right now, even Fishman’s best ain’t cutting it on recordings.

What does amaze me and has me slightly dazzled is the avalanche of tools at my disposal to get exactly the sound I want. Even my acoustic, when processed through an amp modeling plugin, can make some bodacious sounds. And the DRUMS! DANG! I’ve been using the drum kit and fiddling with midi files and piano rolls. It’s enough to stop from ever sleeping again, I swear.

While I’m not massacring guitars I paint. These are a few recent canvases:

http://www.worldwidelennie.com/pileofwank.jpg
http://www.worldwidelennie.com/100_1009_small.jpg
http://www.worldwidelennie.com/100_1024_small.jpg

I also do watercolor and weird sculptures/lamps with copper pipe and found objects.

But my day job is computer programming/data analysis. Please don’t tell my mom that, as she thinks I’m a piano player in a whorehouse.

BTW, I think this may be in the wrong section. Sorry about that. I’m a moderator for another site, and I’ve just crossed one of my personal pet peeves.

O.K. You’re gonna fit right in here…

she thinks I’m a piano player in a whorehouse.

Is that the place they call Ralph’s down on Main Street? :p

Bill…

You painted those? Cool.

One thing: all of us here are very familiar with GAS. :D

I was a huge who fan back when I was a teen and bought a Ric and then lost it in a fire in 1980, and I’ve been bummed since so last year I bought a 370, and this past Xmas got a 620/12. I have a nice spouse too. :)

Anyway, welcome! If the last serious recording you did was 30 years ago you are going to be amazed.

Welcome! Love the art work! And ditto what Bill said. You’re in the right place. These guys will take good care of you. Can’t wait to hear your music.

Melody

I came into contact with an illness I call Tracker’s Block". It began about this time … a year ago… IT lasted about 8-10 months… I thought about giving all this up… I considered buying audio related hardware and software to spend my way out of it… I got involved in photography and other things… It lasted about 100 builds of n-Track…

I still haven’t fully recovered from “Tracker’s Block”… :O ??? :(

Bill…

That’s so where I am right now. I’m ready to sell everything and turn the spare room back into a spare room. I think it’s more than Tracker’s Block though. I think it’s full out depression…

Someone told me to go into my cupboards and throw away everything I have in them… and… change my diet…

I don’t smoke-or-drink, but if I did I should change my smokes-and-booze, as well…

Turn myself into a new-kind-of-guy… :O ??? :p What a way-to-go… :p

Right now, I’m listening to “Songs of the Eagles” … The CD is titled “Common Thread”…

It makes the stuff I do here, sound like trash… They say the only way to better yourself is to listen-and-play to/with stuff you like that is better than what you can “DO”… I specialize in producing Bed Tracks, here…

After a while it’ll re-wire your brain…

I’m thinking about a rubber hammer and expirmenting on finding some Key Spot on the Gray Matter, might help…

Bill…

(mfl @ Jun. 02 2007,14:51)
I'm ready to sell everything and turn the spare room back into a spare room. I think it's more than Tracker's Block though. I think it's full out depression.....

I hear you, sister!

Got plenty of recording toys and no real will to do anything at all with any of them these days.

I still grab a Gretsch now & then just to noodle, but that's it... :(

Maybe, I’ll get my '65 Precision out some day and see if it still knows me… ??? :O

Bill…

Gee, hope we didn’t bring you down Lennie. Any openings at that place where you play piano? I seem to have a little time on my hands… Maybe I’ll get inspired… :)

We’re tryin’ to keep this thread at the top of the heap…

But… Don’t overheat your DAW and screw up all them .wav files your creating… :O :p

Bill…

Inspiration doesn’t come to those who wait for it - I have to do a lot of writing - Walter Benjamin had a great short piece on what to do when the block happens - basically it was (1) revise what you have so far; (2) just do crazy things without judging them. I suspect we all want everything we write and record to be the best thing ever. Try writing the worst thing ever. Actually, that idea came from Victor Frankl - it’s part of his psych theory “logotherapy” - you sweat and stammer in front of a lecture audience? Try to sweat and stammer more next time.

I may be writing and recording crap most of the time, but I’m pretty darned pushy about it, and I just don’t give a darn how crappy it is. :)

Another thing I like to do: get something new and weird and try to build around it. Right now I have two new a funs thing to play with - one is a 1993 radio shack digitally sampled set of about 100 sounds, with buttons to activate each, I think designed for people who like to make home videos and stick really stupid sound effect in - it’s a toy, totally a toy, but a powerful toy. Bet nothing good comes from it.

The other new fun thing is the EV crystal mic - cranking the guitar through it makes this totally wire like sound. I have no idea if it is musially useful, but I’m going with it.

I hate writer’s block. I will slay the dragon! :D

(woxnerw @ Jun. 02 2007,16:44)
Maybe, I'll get my '65 Precision out some day and see if it still knows me.. ??? :O

Bill..

Naw. It's completely forgotten you. It told me it wants to move in with me. I'll pay the shipping...

I found a deal on an m-audio 49e midi controller today. Paid $50 NIB for it and have gone mad the last few hours tearing up the Hornet. Nifty little synth. I feel my carpal tunnel creeping up on me.

But oh, it hurts good.

If I could have done this kinda stuff in 1974 I probably would never have stopped to breed and have a real career…

If only I had a nickel for every time I took it outta the case to play a job… do a jingle or do a bed track… I changed the strings on it once a year whether it needed them-or-not… It used to be the New Year’s Eve Job that I changed the strings… All the guys on the stage would look at me… Give me a complex… I threatened I wouldn’t change them anymore if they continued looking at me… What a bunch… :p ???

Bill…

Speaking of strings, I have a moandolin, a guitar, and a bass downstairs that are awaiting my attention. Oy, veh.

(TomS @ Jun. 02 2007,20:29)
Inspiration doesn't come to those who wait for it - I have to do a lot of writing - Walter Benjamin had a great short piece on what to do when the block happens - basically it was (1) revise what you have so far; (2) just do crazy things without judging them. I suspect we all want everything we write and record to be the best thing ever. Try writing the worst thing ever. Actually, that idea came from Victor Frankl - it's part of his psych theory "logotherapy" - you sweat and stammer in front of a lecture audience? Try to sweat and stammer more next time.

I may be writing and recording crap most of the time, but I'm pretty darned pushy about it, and I just don't give a darn how crappy it is. :)

Another thing I like to do: get something new and weird and try to build around it. Right now I have two new a funs thing to play with - one is a 1993 radio shack digitally sampled set of about 100 sounds, with buttons to activate each, I think designed for people who like to make home videos and stick really stupid sound effect in - it's a toy, totally a toy, but a powerful toy. Bet nothing good comes from it.

The other new fun thing is the EV crystal mic - cranking the guitar through it makes this totally wire like sound. I have no idea if it is musially useful, but I'm going with it.

I hate writer's block. I will slay the dragon! :D

I like your attitude.

The only thing I could add is that when I seem to have a mental logjam, I go listen and/or play somebody else's music as intensely as I can. Pretty soon I get envious or competitive, and those two things can get me back in gear. 'course, the best motivation is love. If I could keep myself in a place where that was the only thing that motivated me, I'd probably become a saint.

St. Lennie - patron of El Cheapo recording studios... :cool: :O

Ha. I said “MOANDOLIN”!