How to bounce a track to start from the beginning

of the song?

This should be easy and self evident. I want to have all the tracks that start in the middle of the song to start from the beginning (for collaboration). (There would be silence in the file until the music starts).

I though the bounce command would do that but it seems just to merge sections of a track together and the file starts where the first file was.

So can N do this?

Workaround is mixing the tracks one by one to single tracks but … there should be easy, fast and convenient way to do it.

there are different ways to do this.
You could just mark (highlight by dragging across) the area you want to remove and Edit > cut. You can do the cut non-distruct and save under a different sng name if you collaborator is using N-track. If you want the sound files alterecd you can do it destructively and the sound files will be changed.
If you want to just have a stereo file, you can mark where you want the mixdown to start (place the cursor there) and do a mixdwon from and to time selection on the File > mixdown menu.

Actually I don’t want to remove anything. On the contrary…I want to haeve every single track to start at 0.00 secs regardless where they start in N-track song file.

I want to get a track that starts let’s say at 2.30 and goes to 3.05 (like a solo) to start at the beginning of the song and be same length than the whole song.

The idea is to get the separate wav tracks to be in sync with no hassle in other systems.

The only way I can think of to add blank space that starts at zero is to mix down the individual track. Create a new blank track the full lenght of the longerst sound file. Mix down that track and the sound file track to a Mono file, and replace the original sound file with the new one. Personally, I’d leave the old file unchanged and create an intirely new file from the mix down and import that one into the song.
Bax

Yes, that’s what I do… but I’d wish there would be a faster way. Like “Bounce track(s)to whole lenght” > selected track(s) / all tracks > done.

After you’ve mixed down 12 individual tracks this way and imported them back you’ve quite done (like ooops stereo track, oops wrong bit depth, oops mixed down track 16 instead of 19… oops did just the selected part…)

Maybe I’m gettin crazy - but what you are tyring to do has nothing to do
with bouncing. You’re talking about creating a new arrangement based on a set
of dynamic parameters The dynamics being that you
want each track (when saved) to have the same length (as the entire song) and
the position of the recorded material on each subsequent track to have a starting time of 0:0:0.
To me that would take a custom post processing sub-routine that certainly could
be done. But it is not bouncing audio.
Am I crazy?

Ok, semantics or recording terminology in english isn’t my strenght. What would be the correct term then?

Basically what you describe what I want to do is spot on correct. I think most recording software does it when needed.

Flavio, this may be taken as a feature request. Thanks!

I hear you - This is why I wish I could program at that level.
Ya know - write some specialty apps to get my **** done the way I want.

You may be right - I think LOGIC may have something where you can 'bounce’
parts to different tracks and such.

Personally - I don’t have a need to do what you are doing - but I’m all for it
if it can be added to N. It would make N that much cooler.

Then Flav could charge big $$$
:laugh:

Yeah, just heard that in Sonar you just grab the beginning of the file and strech it to the beginning of the song.

varakeef. I think I’ve just done exactly ‘that’. Grabbed the left of a part to the start of a track. It doesn’t roll out copies as from the right. So, if I’m on the same page? the extra length would be included in a bounce.

Yeah, but in N you can’t stretch it more towards to the beginning than where the recording actually started. You can make it longeri f you stretch it to the end of the song but not to the beginning.

cut and paste the whole song

And then what should happen? I see no difference.

Sorry, dude. I’ll read it through again. I’m not sure that I’ve got my head round it yet?

Menu
–Edit
–Insert
----Insert at position:
0:00.00
----Lenght:
n:nn.nn
(however much time you want to add)
----Apply To
All Tracks
----Check: Move Markers
----Check: Move Tempo Changes
----Non Destructive (does not modify wave files)
–Button: Insert

Thanks,phoo but that doesn’t do what I want. It moves the tracks towards the end of the song.

It doesn’t lenghten the tracks to start from the beginning of the song without moving the core idea of the file.

To be clear… I want that my guitar solo starts at 2 minutes from the beginning. I want to record that solo without needing to start recording from the beginning of the song (since I’ve already heard the song numerous times and I don’t have extra 2 minutes).

Therefore I want to move cursor to, let’s say at 1.55, press record and capture that solo. So it’s there.

After that I want to have that file of the solo starts at 0.00 secs but the solo still starts at 2.00. This way my collaborator can have all the song files as separate wavs that start at the beginning of the song so he doesn’t have to manually align the tracks. I wouldn’t want to do that either.

He doesn’t use N, he uses something else, like software X. My other colaborator may use software Y and third one software Z. What works simple and easy is to have files that start from the beginning.

Well, maybe my working routine should be mixing all files to whole length of the song after every overdubbing session. It’s a drag to do it when there’s plenty of souch work to be done. :p

Would this work - because you have not recorded the track yet,
Create a blank track
Move the cursor to where you want to start recording
Arm the track and record and/or punch in to add the sound to the new full length track track.
That should create a full length sound file witht eh new part where you want it.
Bax

For the whole song…whic seems to not be the need…
:laugh:
Menu
–Edit
–Insert
----Insert at position:
0:00.00
----Length:
n:nn.nn
(however much time you want to add)
----Apply To
All Tracks
----Check: Move Markers
----Check: Move Tempo Changes
----Destructive (modifies wave files)
–Button: Insert

But to do just the lead track, do a mixdown of just that track.

You should be set, but there is a chance the mixdown won’t quite be in sync with the original tracks because of any plug-in latencies that may be compensated for. That can be handled by importing the mixdown lead track back into the original song, manually aligning the mixdown wave with the original lead, then trimming the beginning in a wave editor until it can be imported into the original song without the need to manually align. That last part is the tricky part.