I HATE Tabs

I really do!

I’m ashamed to admit I don’t know how to finger tap! I haven’t studied arps or legatos. I do know my major & minor scales and modes in all the positions.

I hate tabs. By the time I figure it out I could have washed the truck. I’m getting a little better at it but I’m really a visual person. If I see it I learn it So much quicker.

Here’s the question…

Have you guys found any useful guitar instruction videos on the web. You know, the free lessons with a video clip showing the lick or technique at a reasonable speed?

Also along this topic, What is Your favorite instructional video.

I’d like to (at least) SEE some slowed down tapping if only to get a grasp of it. I want to get some more country and rock licks under my belt too.

If you’ve found a good link please share it. :)

Along the lines of Instructional videos (that cost $) the best hands down Modal Instructional Vid (IMHO) was Frank Gambale’s “Modes: No More Mystery”. He lays it out the best and simplest I’ve seen yet. If you’re having trouble grasping modes, what to do with them, how they fit, how to construct modal chord progressions…save yourself some hairpulling…this video is it.

KingFish

workshoplive

Ooooops didn’t meet criteria free

go to www.youtube.com

register it’s free and look up guitar instruction. There is a tapping instruction and lots more there.

Tab? That crap tastes NASTY!!! Give me a Pepsi anyday… oh…

A while back I was asked to learn this riff for a song at church and the only thing I had was ears and the sheet music. Figuring it out was pretty simple once I sat down and looked at the notation carefully. I actually learned something about reading music in the process too… TAB? Eh… it’s OK I guess… pretty dang confusing most of the time…

D

Ok…So I went to YouTube and watched some Paul Gilbert instructional vids.

I’m really depressed now and am thinking of buying a tractor to run over my guitar and plow it under.

KingFish

Oh King don’t do that, the tension on the neck when it snaps will kick it up and stab you in the leg!!! I prefer burning after trying a Hendrix solo at least I can do that as good as he did but it looks funny me humping a buring guitar on the lawn…jus not the same as Monterrey!!!

Cheers

Cruiser :D :D

Quote (KingFish @ June 12 2006,00:12)
I'm really depressed now and am thinking of buying a tractor to run over my guitar and plow it under.

KingFish

LOL

What about putting it through a log shredder....say the ultimate shredder contest.

Hmmm who's the crappiest guitar player who actually has teaching skills. What about switching to ukelele, it only has four strings and you could probably do a full neck fret stretch preety easily.

Can you guys play that stuff?

KF

Nope I sure can’t and I don’t think it’s necessary.

Totally self taught and got my own style. I’m happy to see slight improvement over time with instructions. Just a little more dexterity and speed with certain fingers to get a little more fretboard flow. Mark Knopfler probably can’t play half of that stuff.

Sounds like your in a rut. Buy a tele LOL

I am in a rut!

I don’t want to shred but a few tricks here and there won’t hurt.

I need some new licks or perspectives…I’ve been playing 40 years and need a refresher every now & then!

I’d like a new tele. Send me your spare!

KF

I saw on ebay yesterday a whack of dvd instruction where they teach ya a certain song as opposed to theory and lesson.

I had something similar to this years ago where you would download the cd on your computer, songs like dust in the wind, blackbird etc… Overall it was a great way to learn. I hate tab too. I learned alot about finger picking with these.

Maybe that’s a way to go.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I HATE Tabs

<!–QuoteBegin>
I hate tab too

I friend of mine would say this…

Why you be hatin’?

TABS

Can’t we all just love one another? :p

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

<!–QuoteBegin>

You have a friend? :p

KF

Quote (KingFish @ June 12 2006,14:13)
<!–QuoteBegin>

You have a friend? :p

KF

lol

I did say he was a friend of mine…not that it was recipicated.

Well there is a song that comes to mind…

"What a freind we have in Jesus"
I hardly think He would discrimate based on my beliefs! :D

Then there is my licence plate…

“You have a freind in Pennsylvania” ???

Either God and the government of the State of Pa is pulling my leg, or the answer is Yes.

That was funny though… :laugh:

I very dear freind of mine whom I am still in contact with wrote this book.

One Nation Under George

We grew up together in a rural area of north west Arkansas.
Being all Bush fans here…lol you just might get a kick out of it!

keep shinin’

<!–QuoteBegin>

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #2,640,377 in Books

Unfortunately Jerm… your friend has a WAYS to go before busting into the top ten! :D I wish him luck though.

D
Quote (jeremysdemo @ June 12 2006,16:04)
I very dear freind of mine whom I am still in contact with wrote this book.

You mean you have a freind that can write?

Just to beat anyone to the punchline! :laugh:

keep shinin

<!–QuoteBegin>

I very dear freind of mine whom I am still in contact with

Siamese twin?

KF (I got a million of 'em)

<!–QuoteBegin>

Well there is a song that comes to mind…

“Dazed and Confused” ?

KF (999,999 to go)
Quote (StuH @ June 11 2006,13:39)
I saw on ebay yesterday a whack of dvd instruction where they teach ya a certain song as opposed to theory and lesson.

I had something similar to this years ago where you would download the cd on your computer, songs like dust in the wind, blackbird etc...... Overall it was a great way to learn. I hate tab too. I learned alot about finger picking with these.

Maybe that's a way to go.

I've tried out "purchased" DVDs and more times than not, they show the guitarist poorly. Some I've had were pretty good but you can never tell.

I taught myself to fingerpick from listening but it would have been much easier and quicker with a good DVD.

I guess I'll keep on looking. YouTube has quite a bit......maybe I'll find a trick here and there.......

KF