I made a good investment

Oddly, when I got a Fender Bullet in 1982, for 150 bucks, I just thought it was a cheapo student plank. Even more oddly, it turns out they were designed by John Page, and the neck is a surplus tele neck. And yet still more oddly, they now sell for 500 USA dollars on Ebay. Anyway, mine needs some TLC, but it still plays like the balsa wood plank it felt like 29 years ago. Haven’t played it in several years. So I did a song about it.

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/songs/9462

Show us it. Love the lead line.

Hi TomS:

Great song and well tracked and mixed and all…
I saw the comments over on the site…
Nice Guitar lines and Harp playing, as well…

Get some photos of that guitar posted up here, somewhere…

Bill…

The thing is, it really is a low end student guitar, like the Fender Mustang was. Same sorts of tuning problems, which I suppose could be partly cured with better tuners. The jack is mounted on the pickguard, so that’s a common failure point, the body is really really light… Nothing impressive about it, although it is endearing. The humbuckers on it (I have the 1982 model H 2 and not the original 1981 which only came with single coils) have separate coil tap buttons, which is cool. Somewhere I read that the humbuckers are not real humbuckers but rather a couple of single coils stuck together. Does that make sense? Anyway, the strings on it are I have no clue how old, so I’m going to change them today and mess around with it some more. :)

The red model at the bottom of this picture from the manual is the one I have. And that is exactly how I used to dress. (No, not really.)

Made in the USA. I can’t imagine a 2011 squire ever going up in value… :laugh:

Hi TomS:

Leonard had one of those Mustang Model guitars…
You’re right…
They originally were student grade guitars, however they became Collector Instruments…
You are correct about the idea of the pickups…
I think the wikie would be a good place to have the theroy explained…
A real Humbucker pickup is something like Gretch would design for their guitars…
Maybe, Gibson Guitars…

I’m writing these replies on this '98SE Machine…
NO Spellchecker…
:laugh:
:p
:disagree:

Bill…

edit
BOY…
What a nice looking instrument…

edit 2
And those tuning keys don’t look too shabby…
either… The Headstock even has string trees on it…

OoHh… That’s your Squire

No, it’s not a squire, these were made before Fender started the squire line.
This is a USA made 1982 bullet H 2.
The bullets were Fender’s response to the low end strat copy market.
The Squire line was started right in 1983, and those were Japanese made, adn then Korean, although Fender had acquired the name back in the 1960s.
Mustangs…I used to own a Mustang (bought it for 100 bucks in 1981, sold it to a good friend a year or two later for the same price, wish I hadn’t…)
This bullet feels very much like the mustang.
The tuners are not really all that good, actually.
I would never buy a low end Fender these days.
The frets all stick out from the neck, on every one I’ve ever looked at, at the Guitar Center store.

Quote: (TomS @ Aug. 05 2011, 4:59 PM)

The frets all stick out from the neck,

Shrinkage.

Your Bullet has started to give me guilt-pangs about a 60's Hofner Strat 420? that I've neglected for 30 odd years:-( Crazy, quarter-circle tone selector, instant de-tune trem' and atrocious floaty bridge, enough paint to sink a ship, crap, pearly machine heads, bent neck plays like shti - but I love it.

Hofner, bet it’s worth a boatload. Fixable?

Quote: (TomS @ Aug. 05 2011, 10:15 PM)

Hofner, bet it's worth a boatload.
Fixable?

Actually, I recently saw the same model for sale, in mint condition for
£200. I wouldn't give you
£50 for mine.

Ah, bring it over here, you’ll get three times as much. :)

Ahhhh… just makes me think about all the guitars I shoulda kept… And the ones I did keep!!! :)

I reckon it’s the Fender on the headstock that gives that guitar it’s value Tom.

Pretty much, Mark. I mean, it really does feel like it’s made of balsa wood.

Quote: (TomS @ Aug. 07 2011, 7:34 AM)

Ah, bring it over here, you'll get three times as much.
:)

You can't afford to fart, and for the sake of the global economy, I'll ask you in no uncertain terms, to desist from this decadence;-)

Today, I spent an hour working on a Vox (toy) Strat that I've had since I was, quide liderally, a kid. An hour worth spent - It's now the best guit in de house proper skanky:-)

Awesome. I spent what few minutes I had with the Fender Bullet, and - on the theory that my old stuff is really a lot better than I remember it being - I got out my first microphone as well. It’s an EV PL 76. It was dropped in beer in about 1984. Looks like Hell; But I used it on vox for this, and it does not sound half bad for a mic dropped in beer. Actually, the recording is as good a recording as I’ve done in a long while.

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/songs/9628

I do have a question. In the recording two of the guitars are panned full left and right. The file looks right, I can see where they are panned, but when I listen on headphones on my computer, they are not panned. One is centered, and the other is just a tad to the left. What gives?

This is signature stuff for you, Tom, you must have nudged a dial.

Hi TomS:

We don’t get to hear many ballads from you…
This is good…
I’m impressed…
:agree:
:)
:agree:

Bill…