Lyricist

songwriting software

I was searching about and came across http://virtualstudiosystems.com/content.php?pg=l_features
Has anyone used this or something like it? Looks good for getting songs mapped out… what you think?

Thanks (as always you all are an encyclopedia of the music knowledge)

taylor

Well, the price is not too high, but what can it do that you can’t do with pencil and paper? Might be more efficient with the program.

I suppose some people can write lyrics while tapping on a keyboard and staring at a computer monitor. Personally, I find that my favorite pen (Papermate Flexgrip Ultra - purple ink) and whatever scrap of paper is handy at the time works best for me. I like the feel of the pen on the paper, it just seems more organic, and inspiring, than tapping away at the keyboard…

my $.02, etc…

:cool:

The only lyric software I’ve found useful is Ryhme Machine from Analog X. Its good for rhyming words that just don’t click in your mind - “Expotential… hmmm hmmm whats a good rhyme for that??”

<!–QuoteBegin>

Expotential… hmmm hmmm whats a good rhyme for that??"

I don’t know but it’s got "potential"

Unless you’re being "referential"

In which case I’ll be "differential"

and…

No, I’ll stop right there.

Personally I rather like imperfect rhymes which rhymezone doesn’t do (unless I’ve missed the point).

Mark

And I’m with John. I like scribbling over loads of bits of paper with ideas etc. Although a tool like this would be useful when it comes for formalising the scribbles…

Quote (Mark A @ Dec. 13 2005,01:35)
Expotential... hmmm hmmm whats a good rhyme for that??"

I don't know but it's got "potential"

Unless you're being "referential"

In which case I'll be "differential"
I prefer my pencil
Over some pre-made stencil
When trying to rhyme "Expotential"

Not one I own, it's just a rental
These silly rhymes can make one mental

:p

<!–QuoteBegin>

I prefer my pencil
Over some pre-made stencil

Not one I own, it’s just a rental
These silly rhymes can make one mental
When trying to rhyme “Expotential”

“Spoken” to: BOOM, shhhh, BOOM-Da-BOOM, shhhh, wiki-wiki, BOOM-shh-BOOM… repeat until you and all your neighbors puke.

D :D

Looks like we got ourselves a co-llab…

Quote (Mark A @ Dec. 13 2005,12:35)
Looks like we got ourselves a co-llab.....

Er... NO! Count me out! :D :D

D
Quote (Diogenes @ Dec. 13 2005,12:39)
Quote (Mark A @ Dec. 13 2005,12:35)
Looks like we got ourselves a co-llab.....

Er... NO! Count me out! :D :D

D

Too late! You've already laid the rhythm track.

:p

Hmm, not sure what “expotential” means. ???

And as pseudo poets, I think that meaning is more important than rhyme.

So, breaking it down:

Ex: was; a state of completion.
pot: good quality Ganja.
en: a low cost, (but very nice), Italian sequencer.
tial: (I) will (do…)

So, that gives us; “expotential” = “As soon as I’ve finished this joint, I will finish this damm track!” :D

JP, you gotta understand… there are very, very few musical genres I despise. Unfortunately for the direction this thread is taking… RAP is ONE of them! :D

D

PS I think expotential means “No longer having potential” you know… kinda like after sex. Must… sl…e…e…p… :p

OMG what have I started! :D

Anyway my point was that rhyme machine helps me rhyme words that I can’t think of a rhyme for. And it doesn’t just do “perfect” rhymes. Some of the words it’ll list as a rhyme for a word makes me raise my eyebrow as to why it listed it - you have pronounce it with a difference accent or something to get some of them to rhyme lol.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyway my point was that rhyme machine helps me rhyme words that I can’t think of a rhyme for. And it doesn’t just do “perfect” rhymes.

You are right of course. I was referring to the online rhyming site - rhymezone.com.

It’s been a while since I used the analogx offering. I’ll have to have another look at it.

Mark

Quote (Ali_G @ Dec. 13 2005,14:50)
And as pseudo poets, I think that meaning is more important than rhyme.

Nah… The ugly truth about most art is that there usually is no one true meaning - the artist only has some vague notion of “this looks/sounds pretty deep, so it must be prophetic”, and hopes that he can remain vague enough about his work such that people will draw their own conclusions and meanings.

Visualize an art gallery on opening night with all of the champagne-sipping-wannabe-art-critics trying desperately to have a “deep” conversation about some piece of abstract tripe. (Pollock, anyone?) heh.

So, I guess following my line of reasoning - the greatest art means nothing.

:D

I looked at the first version of Lyricist & I wasn’t impressed but my quess is that it’s gotten alot better. I think a good rhyming/Thesaurus program could be a useful tool.

I work more like John does. I use the “The New Comprehensive American Rhyming Dictionary” by Sue Young.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Nah… The ugly truth about most art is that there usually is no one true meaning - the artist only has some vague notion of “this looks/sounds pretty deep, so it must be prophetic”, and hopes that he can remain vague enough about his work such that people will draw their own conclusions and meanings.

Nonsense John!

"Cat’s foot, iron claw, neuro-surgeon screams for more…"

How much more unambiguous can you get? :)

Of course, some of the older traditional folk music serves more as a mantra to unlock the mythic subconscious; as in one of my favourite local ballads…

"Auntie Mary, had a canary,
up the leg of her drawers,

when she farted, it departed,
from the leg of her drawers."

I think songs like that explain why Scots kids grow up with mystical insight and one foot in the world of faerie. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m work more like John does.

What does this mean?