Mic PreAmp Recommendations

Which One?

I’m looking at getting a tube preamp for recording vocals. Price must be $100 max.

Considering
Studio Projects VTB-1.
Presonus Tube Pre.
Bellari MP105.
ART Tube MP Studio V3.
Or pehaps one of the Behringer ones.

I’ll mostly be using it for the purpose of recording to my PC with current Sound Basher card.

The VTB-1 looks pretty good from a user review stand point. But, you know how owners/users can be bias. Especially if that’s all the have ever used. And even more so if it’s a top name brand. Which Studio Projects is not as widely known as other as of yet. I especially might like the use of the insert jack. I’ll have to read up to find out where it enters/exits, etc. The draw back might be no phase reversal. But, I probably have a cable somewhere with the pins switched anyhow.

Any suggestions, recommendations, ideas welcome.
???

I would spend a little bit more and get the Electro Harmonix 12AY7.

The less inexpensive tube pre-amps do not run full voltage thru the tubes. This, in my mind, means that the ‘tube’ is just a marketing ploy. Some of these even have leds setup behind the tubes to make them look like they are glowing.

For that price range, you still won’t find much in a single channel preamp. However, there are many that like the DMP3 as a ‘bang for the buck’ preamp.

IMO, don’t buy a tube preamp unless it’s running full power thru the tubes.

If you want a nice preamp, you have to spend bigger bread. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t! Why wouldn’t you… but I got a presonus Tube-Pre, and an ART Tube MP (first version). They bring your signal up to line-level, and have Phantom Power. Also Phase, 10db Pad, and a low-rumble filter. The Presonus can give you nasty gritty stuff, or pretty nice and clean. It does, admittedly come with that red led mentioned above… can’t stop the Consumer Grinder! The ART, for my ears, sounds (here it comes) “warmer”. I like the ART better, generally.

I also have a (discontinued) Studiomaster 12/2 mixer for pres. Phantom Power, and 3-band EQ on the mono channels, which sounds rather nice. Got it at clearance.

I don’t think getting into a long discussion about it will necessarily be edifying, though, if you don’t have the $$ to step up to your growing expectations! The ones you mentioned will give you something you can work with and learn from. And you can get good results. It’s more about you do than what you have, anyway.

Personally I think my ART sounds awful. We had a discussion here a month or so ago about the bellari, whether it runs at high plate voltages or not, and we never really answered the question. Anyway, I have one and with the black lion “mod” (which is about as minimal a mod as there is) it sounds way better than the art.

Stay away from the berry, I’d say.

Re: the vtb-1, I’ve not heard it, but for a while people were saying nice things aobut it, but in the end what it came down to was it sounds OK for most mics, but it sounds very good for ribbons. Ask over at tapeop.com.

The presonus looks cool doesn’t it?

:)

I used an ART MP to record my last CD, currently own a PreSonus Blue Tube and the Studio Projects VTB-1. In this price range, I have no reservations about recommending the Studio Projects VTB-1.

my $.02, etc…

:cool:

i have both an art tube mp and the vtb-1. i personally like the vtb-1 better.

I’ve heard lots of pretty good word about that VTB-1. Interested to try one.

I bought a EuroRack UB802 demo model this past spring for about 60 bucks cnd. As I hardly run more than 2-3 mics at a time for vocals it works good for my home studio. I run a small nanoverb unit through the send/return and the mixer goes through a Behringer compressor before it hits the PC. Not a elaborate setup by any means but it works good.

Quote (Katau @ Dec. 05 2005,16:17)
The less inexpensive tube pre-amps do not run full voltage thru the tubes. This, in my mind, means that the 'tube' is just a marketing ploy. Some of these even have leds setup behind the tubes to make them look like they are glowing.

I was going to post something to this effect. I had one of those Presonus Blue tube things for awhile, I didn't much care for it. It had the little Christmas light behind the tube to make it glow... No "tube warmth", just distortion. I'm not sure if those elctro harmonix preamps are the 'starved plate' design or not...

For $100, alot of guys would tell you that you're better off getting a solid state preamp, something clean and transparent instead of "warm".

I also have been usibg a Behringer UB1002 as a mixer and in/out access tio my sound card for more than 3 years. I have a bit of outboard gear like B2 condensor mic, 4 or 5 other dynamic mics, 4 or 5 different compressors, a few rack mounted multi FX units, Roland VF-1 controlled by a Behringer midi foot controller, 3 guitar amps, a floor pedal assembly with the whole cable mess, a gutted out guitar case full of guitar pedals and other junk.
I have around 70 songs I’ve composed mostly with BIAB, midi editng and recording in nTrack and software synths.
I’m just hoping to get a little fatter input sound on the input side of my audio recordings. Especially for vocals.
I appreciate all the ideas and hope to find even more before flipping the plastic.
:;):
More suggestions welcome, please.

Hi Tobias. I’m happily using an Art Studio V3 “modelling” tube pre-amp for vocals, acoustic and electric guitars and bass. My ears aren’t golden (rather wrinkled and hairy in fact) but it suits me, though it isn’t a full-voltage tube circuit. It provides versatile gain matching, phantom power, a hint of warmth and I like the subtle tonal changes from the switchable shapes, including mild compression.

The shop where I bought it (in Bern, Switzerland) has experienced nothing but trouble with recent batches of Berry valve pre’s. They’re not down on Berry in general but they stopped selling the valve stuff.

It makes sense to get advice from more experienced n-Thusiasts but finally, it’s your budget and your ears!

Cheers
TB

I’ve asked this before, but has anyone tried the “ROLAND MMP-2 Microphone Modeling Preamp”?

Just curious.

Mark

FWIW - I replaced my ART MP1 and Presonus pres earlier this year with a Joe Meek Three Q and I’ve been much happier. My main mic is an AT 4047 and it sounds wonderful through the Joe Meek.

Quote (BobbyS @ Dec. 06 2005,08:29)
FWIW - I replaced my ART MP1 and Presonus pres earlier this year with a Joe Meek Three Q and I've been much happier. My main mic is an AT 4047 and it sounds wonderful through the Joe Meek.

The Joe Meek gets mixed reviews. I haven't tried it, though; but from testimony I see one either likes it or one doesn't. The point is you might want to try and hear some of this stuff in a shop or studio if you can.

TelevisionFission has a point about just getting a nice, clean pre, and screwing the tube 'till you can get a real one. You can always run signal back out of the PC through a funky analog pedal if you want a little analog distortion ("warmth")!

…or even try a plug-in. Ruby Tube is about as close to real “tubey-ness” as the Presonus Blue Tube.

Quote (Sloom @ Dec. 06 2005,15:09)
Quote (BobbyS @ Dec. 06 2005,08:29)
FWIW - I replaced my ART MP1 and Presonus pres earlier this year with a Joe Meek Three Q and I've been much happier. My main mic is an AT 4047 and it sounds wonderful through the Joe Meek.

The Joe Meek gets mixed reviews. I haven't tried it, though; but from testimony I see one either likes it or one doesn't. The point is you might want to try and hear some of this stuff in a shop or studio if you can.

TelevisionFission has a point about just getting a nice, clean pre, and screwing the tube 'till you can get a real one. You can always run signal back out of the PC through a funky analog pedal if you want a little analog distortion ("warmth")!

I guess the whole point is trying stuff out. I can tell you that my Joe Meeek ThreeQ gives new meaning to hi fidelity compared to some of the low budget stuff mentioned here. I liked my presonus pre but there is no comparison.

hey ive been reading through this post as im also after a preamp. i keep seeing the Studio Projects VTB1 being mentioned so i assume its a good one. i can get one for £70, would that be a good price or should i expect to be able to get it for less?
thanks

I have an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 and if you can possibly spend the extra money I can enthusiastically recommend this pre. It sounds very nice. You have to use this unit in balanced mode, however, or it will scream like a banshee.

I also have an Aphex 207 that I got on ebay for $200 that sounds darn good. You might consider that as an option if you have time to wait for one to come up.

The lowly Presonus BlueTube (old model) gets mixed reviews but I’ve had good results with mine, especially considering what I paid for it ($100). They go for less than that now on ebay and are pretty common. One reason I think the BlueTube has worked well for me is because my Delta 1010 has a +10, -4 db button for each channel. I run the BlueTube into the higher gain setting which makes it sound better and quieter. The only time I use the tube drive control is when I record distorted electric guitar - it gives it a nice effect.