My First n-track recording

Quote: (Yaz @ Aug. 11 2009, 4:53 AM)

Well if you want the bass setting more prominent in the mix try an eq

high pass between 40-50hz (depending on your eq of kick drum, I try to keep one or the other at 40hz and then the other at 50hz)
pump 60-70hz (from 3 to 5 db)
notch at 100hz small q works between 2 and 3 on nTrack eq/compressor (P-bass may need wider Q)
add narrow q (2-5) of +10db at 1khz

If the bass was recorded thru amp, continue on, if direct try using an amp sim like Voxengo Boogex, do a search around for cab sims and try a Ampeg or SWR cab.

Nice Yazer, I do appreciate the pointers mrbuddy!!!
Quote:

As far as thoes ear plug phones, they can't be any better than the worst laptop speakers like I have on here.

my Shure in-earphones:
Frequency Range:
22Hz – 17.5kHz
Most internal laptops speakers Frequency range is 100Hz to 20kHz

You most likely will not hear anything under 100Hz on your laptop Levi.

here’s a set I have not seen until today - Apple In-Ears

Specs look good.

I will NOT listen to anything on laptop speakers. I have two laptops that see daily use. The built-in speakers on both make everything sound like 70’s telephone service. Yuck…

Ear buds, headphones, external speakers or nothing. It’s kind of funny, my personal Compaq lappy had a big logo and blurb on the box… “Audio by ALTEC Lansing!!” 70’s telephone… The physics just can’t be overcome. Unless one wants a laptop the size of a mini refrigerator! :laugh:

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Aug. 11 2009, 11:52 AM)

Most internal laptops speakers Frequency range is 100Hz to 20kHz

You most likely will not hear anything under 100Hz on your laptop Levi.

On a great day, in the sun, steady barometric pressure... a low end of 150hz is brilliant on a lot of laptops and 12k on the top end is super. They put the cheapest most awful "barely get you by" speakers in laptops.

Duffman,
thanks.
Of course Satriani (Steve Vai and others) are 100s of levels up,
that is some serious dedication of ones life to an art form, and they deserve
everything they have achieved.

But I heard a little of that phrasing style in CrockRock myself when I was done (again,
no way near the level of the pros).

But for me it kinda fits because in the 80s I did not miss any of the guitar players,
not the ones on the “classic” radar, and not those off it.
Satriani was a bit off the
radar but I found out about him thru Guitar Player magazine. I still have an original
vinal “Surfing With The Alien”.
All great stuff, not to mention all the great
YouTube stuff of Satriani and Vai and the rest that we have today.

Quote: (pingcat @ Aug. 11 2009, 8:28 PM)

But for me it kinda fits because in the 80s I did not miss any of the guitar players,
not the ones on the "classic" radar, and not those off it.
Satriani was a bit off the
radar but I found out about him thru Guitar Player magazine. I still have an original
vinal "Surfing With The Alien".
All great stuff, not to mention all the great
YouTube stuff of Satriani and Vai and the rest that we have today.

In the 80s I wasn't listening to any "guitar players" either, I was more interested in a total sound and really more to the acoustic side of things. Bruce Cockburn, Lowen & Navarro, Indigo Girls, ect. After that I went into a Zydeco phase with the Radiators, SubDudes, Wayne Toupes.... Like you Satriani jumped out and bit me from nowhere. And as for Vai, found out about him when he was playing with Zappa....

Duff

(I miss Zappa. I miss his sense of humor & lyrics, social commentary, and most of all his wonderful musicall arrangmemts.)

Yeah, miss Zappa.
Thats where I first saw/heard Steve Vai also, on stage with Zappa. And then someone had a copy of “The Frank Zappa Guitar Book” with Vai’s name
as doing transcribing.
I just did a quick web search and only see it being sold as used for over $250 a copy these days.
I did find this excerpt from the book. . .

Quote:

A Few Words For Those Who Managed To Get This Far … by Frank Zappa
In preparing this book, we have tried to present the rhythmic and melodic events as exactly as possible (including my mistakes … let’s face it, some of those notes got played by a finger landing on the wrong fret or because I was rushing the tempo, or trying to catch up to a band that was running amok …), and for the most part, I think we have succeded.
If the notational results sometimes appear to be a little terrifying, you can console yourself with the thought that only a maniac would attempt to play these things anyway …

Zydeco!
I always loved the classics: Clifton Chenier, Queen Ida…oh, and Buckwheat Zydeco is still making great music on Alligator… :agree: :agree:

Quote: (TomS @ Aug. 12 2009, 1:17 PM)

Buckwheat Zydeco is still making great music:

I do believe Bucky will be in town this weekend for an outdoor festival we have around here called Gumbo-Ya-Ya...

Sounds good. I like the tune and playing!