n-Track Recording Contest

Quote:

Any ideas yet on what the tunes are to be judged on?
The song itself? The production? etc.etc.

Yes. :p

We are going to post some rules - Our resident Lawyer called last night and ask me to send guns and money - so he should be back in his office this week.

Guns and money…cool as long as it’s not handcuffs, blowtorch and pliers…

i, for one, plan to make new crap previously unheard over innnnnernet airwaves for this contest. No ideas yet, but references to guns and money, blowtorches and pretentiousness, as well as Byzantine regulations references which I don’t understand could open the floodgates.
I hope play counts aren’t a main scoring tool, for reasons Tom mentioned. I’m on the road 60 hours a week and don’t have time to skyrocket my own play counts!

We will have a voting system in place by May 1st I hope. You’re right about play counts though on SoundClick. It would not be fair for an early entry that would surely get more plays to have an advantage over something someone had spent more time on and didn’t get it in 'till July or whenever.

Any quick fix for a voting set up so I don’t have to bother Flavio to set up voting polls - ya’ll let me know.

There are free polling sites I know of. I have little going on right now so I could run it easy enough. OR we could just set up a voting ‘panel’… I’m not going to enter anything so I could vote for folks fair enough. OR we could narrow down a list for each category and have Flavio decide.

Still enough time to work out details. I would like to hear all new stuff created just for the contest but I don’t think it has to be.

Can’t wait to hear “Regulated Byzantine Floodgates”

Quote: (john doe's evil twin @ Apr. 17 2008, 7:19 PM)

I'm ready.
If the judging criteria are "most pretentious crap" and "least talented hack", then y'all better just stay home cuz I'll have it in the bag.

I am so giving you a run for your money on those performance metrics (how pretentious is the term "performance metric"? - booyah!)
???

OK, more prizes that will be awarded:

Some of you might remember Paul ManyTone from this forum from a number of years ago. Paul has moved on to software production, as ManyTone Music, where he has created some amazingly cool bits of kit, including the ManyBass you folks might have read about in the December issue of Computer Music.

His company website:
http://www.manytone.com/

Paul has offered not one,but TWO pieces for our contest, the ManyStation and the ManyGuitar.

Details on the ManyStation here:
http://www.manytone.com/manystation.html
The sounds Paul has captured for this are out of this world.

And the ManyGuitar:
http://www.manytone.com/mgdescription.html
Again, this is an incredible piece of software.

Hey, Paul, I’ve said it before: You Rock!

:)

OK folks, are you getting psyched yet?

Nervous actually…

Awesome - both of those are sweeet.

ManyThanx to Paul :O

Quote:

OK folks, are you getting psyched yet?

Not until I see the contest rules... :p

D

Poppa and Tom,
What tools other than N are we able to use?
Just N and plugins? Rewire? other DAWs?
External boxes?
Or are you just looking for the final rendering in N?
How are you going to be able to decide if the final
song was truly done in N?
Include .sng file?
Anyway sounds like great fun, aside from the work you two
are putting in.

Well, lets kick this around some. I was a proponent of n only. Then I changed my mind. Then I wondered some more about it and realized it wasn’t my call. Let’s decide together - all of us - would be my suggestion. The music comes first for me.

I think N only.

That way everyone is on a level playing field from a recording point of view, and no one can benefit or be disadvantaged by other software.

Also lets not forget what Flavio is offering as prizes…

However, part of the point of this is to attract folks to the program, and some of the prizes (full versions) make no sense for those of us who are already users. And policing it is not something I’d want to do. I say anything goes is the easiest way to do it.

Thus the reason I said;

Quote:

Not until I see the contest rules…

You see, n-Track in it’s current state is almost unusable for me. Anything over say a dozen tracks of straight audio become intolerably crackly and farty no matter the soundcard settings or drivers used. Then there is the fact that I use Jamstix 2 or EZDrummer for percussion and various other virtual instruments. n-Track will not run some of them in a stable enough fashion to use. I could go out and buy myself a new quad or octa-core screamer and hope the situation would improve… but I ain’t gonna because I don’t run out of PC power with my other softies.

If it’s deemed appropriate, I will HAVE to use something else to produce a decent recording. The fact remains though that this IS the “n-Track Recording Contest” and part of me says “n-Track only” for the DAW software even if it means I won’t participate.

It’s not the end of the world to me though. Flavio’s pricing has always been reasonable. If I want to upgrade to V6, I can buy it. Shoot, I may buy it anyway just as a show of support even if I elect not to use it. n-Track and Flavio have been awfully cool partners over the years.

Carry on… just a few thoughts for you guys to ponder. :)

D

oh cool! is it going to be “best by genre” or best song period?

Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 24 2008, 5:45 PM)

However, part of the point of this is to attract folks to the program, and some of the prizes (full versions) make no sense for those of us who are already users.
And policing it is not something I'd want to do.
I say anything goes is the easiest way to do it.

Good point.

Fair enough then!

I think we have enough prizes to do best of category for the 3 categories (Cover - Original & Silly)

I finally heard from Gibson - we don’t “fit into their current marketing plan” so the guitar prize is out unless Musicians Friend comes through.

Maybe ‘arranged in N’ regardless of the source.

I agree, arranged and recorded in “N”, regardless of the third party plug in’s…

Quote:

I agree, arranged and recorded in "N", regardless of the third party plug in's......

Count me out then. No problem... besides...

I don't know if I am "mature" enough... :laugh:

D